Twin Training - VMC (Minimum Control Speed)

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
During my multi-engine training, the VMC discussion - minimum control speed - was an eye opener for me. I had heard VMC was important, but did not realize just how quickly things can turn sour if one doesn't know how to respond to the first signs of losing directional control.

As before with the engine out "drill", I've turned our lesson into a little video.

Can’t remember... are you flying counter rotating or critical engine aircraft?

ETA: Okay, didn’t watch the video before I posted.

Last edited:
Can’t remember... are you flying counter rotating or critical engine aircraft?
In the Baron I flew for this training session, both engines turn clockwise - making the right one the critical engine.

(Edit: It was late when I posted... at least that's my excuse. :D
The LEFT engine is the critical engine on the Baron.)

Last edited:
I think you got that one backwards.
You are right - my bad.

Losing the LEFT engine results in a thrust line (from the working RIGHT engine) which moves outboard. So losing the left engine is worse (compared with losing the right engine), making the LEFT engine the critical engine.

Great Video. I'm years from my multi, but loved what I learned. Also, you make great videos and I watched a few others.

Thanks for sharing and the time you put into your videos.

Martin - great video. I am a subscriber and enjoy all of your videos. I have been contemplating going for my multi engine rating so I have been watching your videos about your training. My problem is that I am not realistically going to be able to purchase a twin engine airplane. I am still pouring money into my single engine airplane!

It is amazing, however, what you can get for your money when shopping for a twin. I realize the operating cost can be twice as high, but your purchasing dollar sure buys alot of airplane on the initial purchase. And I just think that the extra engine is much safer than having a ballistic parachute for the airplane.

Someday...

Martin - great video. I am a subscriber and enjoy all of your videos. I have been contemplating going for my multi engine rating so I have been watching your videos about your training. My problem is that I am not realistically going to be able to purchase a twin engine airplane. I am still pouring money into my single engine airplane!

It is amazing, however, what you can get for your money when shopping for a twin. I realize the operating cost can be twice as high, but your purchasing dollar sure buys alot of airplane on the initial purchase. And I just think that the extra engine is much safer than having a ballistic parachute for the airplane.

Someday...

The operating cost all in is not "twice as high". You'll find a number of the fixed costs are independent of the number of engines. :)

Last edited:
The overhaul cost could be, but the operating cost probably isn't for a similar airframe.

Of course they aren't twice as fast either, but you aren't buying speed with the second engine.

Martin: Well done video. And a subject for us twin flyers that benefits from periodic repeat review. Thank you for the post.

Heres a link to a chilling video of the real thing. This was a Beech Queen Air. You can hear the sputtering and backfiring from the left engine as the pilot tries to gain altitude shortly after takeoff. And you can see how rapidly the benign yaw turns into a rapid roll on complete loss of rudder authority.

Someday...
Stephen,

That's similar to how I would describe my situation. I'm not going to upgrade to a twin in the immediate future; but it's still fun and rewarding to learn how to fly one. And should the stars be aligned at some point in time to buy one, I'll already have the rating.

Regarding the second-engine-vs-parachute argument: lots has been written about it. In theory the second engine should buy us help in more situations than a parachute can, but the accident statistics tell a different story. The Queen Air video posted by GRG55 above is a good example. Even more than before my VMC instruction, I am convinced that regular recurrent training is what makes all the difference in a twin.

A question: in the video he referred to "blocking the rudder pedal" to limit travel so as to NOT cause the VMC snap over. How do they block the pedal to limit travel? Is it there for the duration of the flight (seems like a bad idea)?

A question: in the video he referred to "blocking the rudder pedal" to limit travel so as to NOT cause the VMC snap over. How do they block the pedal to limit travel? Is it there for the duration of the flight (seems like a bad idea)?

I think most instructors do it by just holding their foot on the opposite rudder to limit travel.

During my multi-engine training, the VMC discussion - minimum control speed - was an eye opener for me. I had heard VMC was important, but did not realize just how quickly things can turn sour if one doesn't know how to respond to the first signs of losing directional control.

As before with the engine out "drill", I've turned our lesson into a little video.

Bump for a great video on VMC.
IFR magazine has a great article on VMC this month and mentioned this video.
A must watch for twin pilots.

Back