FAA Piggyback and government shutdown

bravolimadelta

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LC
Hi everyone,

I was trying to complete the foreign license verification process (EASA to FAA), last step should have been on the 22nd of Jan with my nicely arranged appointment with an FSDO but government shutdown struck and it’s still in place, so the FSDOs are still closed.

Since I’ll be travelling from Europe just to get my license verified, does anyone know if it would be possible to complete the process with a DPE in Florida?

Thanks

No, you need to finish the IACRA process and receive the Temporary Airman Certificate
What do you need the DPE for? You just need a Flight Review and you're good to go

See if you can locate contact info for the FSDO manager and call or email him or her.

No, you need to finish the IACRA process and receive the Temporary Airman Certificate
What do you need the DPE for? You just need a Flight Review and you're good to go

Unfortunately not being English my first language it seems I'll need to undergo an oral English test or somehing like that.
This is usually done at the FSDO, but it seems a DPE can be enough (at least in Florida).

Unfortunately not being English my first language it seems I'll need to undergo an oral English test or somehing like that.
This is usually done at the FSDO, but it seems a DPE can be enough (at least in Florida).

English is not my first language and they didn't perform any test. I did the process on August

Provided you speak English while the FSDO is issuing the Certificate you don't need anything else. I don't remember if the IACRA form asks if you Read/Speak English

Good luck!

I have no idea on why I need it, but I was instructed by the Oklahoma City office to schedule an appointment with an FSDO to complete the process.

Anyway, it seems that as long as you have a copy of the verification letter you should be able to finish the process with a DPE (at least in Florida) even if the designated FSDO is in another State.

Edit: the need for a face to face meeting at the FSDO is reported in field 13 of form 8060.

Last edited:
I just finished the process this year. I only had to show up at the FSDO to validate my logbooks, passport, medical, flying license and some form(s). Furthermore I had a regular chat with the guy from the FAA, who was actually really friendly ;-).

About English, I assume you have the LPE on your EASA license? As far as I know you have to. I have level 6 and I didn't had to do any additional thing and on my FAA plastic license it sais I am english proficient...

Back