Spring Soaring out West?

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
I have zero glider experience. Any recommendations for soaring schools that would be able to do an accelerated course, somewhere with a warm and dry climate?

Does it have to be out west? Seminole Soaring Center in groveland Florida has pretty consistent conditions starting in March. They have an add-on course for PP.

Does it have to be out west? Seminole Soaring Center in groveland Florida has pretty consistent conditions starting in March. They have an add-on course for PP.

Thanks. Na it does not necessarily have to be out west. However all things being equal I would prefer to go somewhere new, maybe with some cool terrain or views. FL is rather flat.

Probably further west than you want to go, but glider flying at Dillingham airfield on Oahu is spectacular. One of the best flights I've ever done.

Probably further west than you want to go, but glider flying at Dillingham airfield on Oahu is spectacular. One of the best flights I've ever done.

That does sound cool! But you are right, that is a bit too far west.

SkySailing in Warner Springs CA is a VERY professional operation with great and capable staff.

This might work, thanks for the suggestion. I will be in San Diego in late March for work anyway!

Hi Ren. I did my glider add on this past June at Bermuda High Soaring in South Carolina. I know it's not out west but it's a lot closer to home. They do accelerated courses and they have a place that you can stay for a minimal nightly charge if you don't want to drive back and forth each day. The owner Frank Reid is a DPE. Great folks. Website.

Sky Sailing is an excellent choice
Sundance Aviation in Moriarty, NM
Arizona Soaring south of Phoenix

Checkout Logan, UT. Amazing terrain and a pretty big glider operation.

Logan is a small club operation. I love flying there but it's not the place for an accelerated add on.

Thanks for all the replies. Right now looks like Sky Sailing might be a winner, considering my schedule.

I have heard good things about Bermuda High, but as I mentioned earlier I am interested in making something of a vacation out of it.

There is a nice soaring club NW of Tucson with a DPE on staff. And I would agree with skipping Logan, UT. My son is a pilot there, seems more like a once a year event.

If you know nothing about soaring, try to put yourself in a position to do some. An accelerated add-a-rating course won’t necessarily include any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If you know nothing about soaring, try to put yourself in a position to do some. An accelerated add-a-rating course won’t necessarily include any.
This. "Soaring" and "flying a glider" are not the same thing. I take it from your OP that there isn't a place for glider training near you. But consider getting the rating and a soaring vacation as seperate things. Maybe you do them at the same time/place, maybe not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah. I was doing a Commercial add on at Warner Springs. They made it clear at the start they don't do just the minimum hours and landings. These guys will do the quickie accelerated thing http://www.azsoaring.com/

Back