Planning an Annual Inspection for a 55 year old Bonanza

Matt Gunderson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Gunderson
One of the things I find most enjoyable about owning my Beech Bonanza is the maintenance planning side of things.

When I first bought my airplane, I created a catalog of nearly every part number installed on the airplane; poured through the logbooks capturing what had been replaced when, what year, how many hours were on each part; documented recommended overhaul/IRAN intervals; and prioritized a long-term plan on what to get overhauled/replaced/inspected at each annual.

Recently I decided to take a shot at trying to make a video about my upcoming annual and document some of the items I plan to have adjusted/replaced/upgraded.

For the other aircraft owners out there, what is your approach toward maintaining your vintage aircraft? What types of upgrades are you planning?

I got my 48 year old 180 10 months ago, and I haven't waited for annual to do upgrades. I've been constantly plugging away at them each month trading downtime for flight time... it's not cheap but it's well worth it, I've already done larger tasks like full LED lighting, new panel, BAS Harnesses, 406 ELTs and a host of other items. I'm coming into annual now and going to be able to address a loooong list of smaller items that need completing. Things like new window latches, new air hoses and vent hoses etc.

I got my 48 year old 180 10 months ago, and I haven't waited for annual to do upgrades. I've been constantly plugging away at them each month trading downtime for flight time... it's not cheap but it's well worth it, I've already done larger tasks like full LED lighting, new panel, BAS Harnesses, 406 ELTs and a host of other items. I'm coming into annual now and going to be able to address a loooong list of smaller items that need completing. Things like new window latches, new air hoses and vent hoses etc.
Where did you have your panel, 406 ELT, and LED lighting done? Those are all on my list also and looking for recommendations

Where did you have your panel, 406 ELT, and LED lighting done? Those are all on my list also and looking for recommendations
Well my A&P did the 406 ELT, and I did the LED lighting, but the panel was done at Skycom in Waukesha WI (KUES). I could not recommend them enough. They really believe in doing things the right way and I'm very confident that they did so. A couple other members here have used them all with excellent success.

Well my A&P did the 406 ELT, and I did the LED lighting, but the panel was done at Skycom in Waukesha WI (KUES). I could not recommend them enough. They really believe in doing things the right way and I'm very confident that they did so. A couple other members here have used them all with excellent success.
Thanks! That’s not too far from Cedar Rapids, so I’ll be sure to check them out.

Thanks! That’s not too far from Cedar Rapids, so I’ll be sure to check them out.

Go to Spencer. I have no experience with the previously mentioned shop but hands down Spencer is the best in the area.

Go to Spencer. I have no experience with the previously mentioned shop but hands down Spencer is the best in the area.
I have been to Spencer once for a transponder repair. I have heard they do very nice panels also.

One of the things I find most enjoyable about owning my Beech Bonanza is the maintenance planning side of things.

When I first bought my airplane, I created a catalog of nearly every part number installed on the airplane; poured through the logbooks capturing what had been replaced when, what year, how many hours were on each part; documented recommended overhaul/IRAN intervals; and prioritized a long-term plan on what to get overhauled/replaced/inspected at each annual.

Recently I decided to take a shot at trying to make a video about my upcoming annual and document some of the items I plan to have adjusted/replaced/upgraded.

For the other aircraft owners out there, what is your approach toward maintaining your vintage aircraft? What types of upgrades are you planning?

My 1954 Twin Bonanza is getting a DIY panel upgrade at the moment, using the Approach Fast Stack system.

IMG_3372.JPGIMG_3764.JPG IMG_4020.JPGIMG_3941.JPG

I have been to Spencer once for a transponder repair. I have heard they do very nice panels also.

They do a good job. I haven’t had to take anything back to them for adjustment after the initial visit so far. I can’t say the same for another radio shop in the area.

Hi @Matt Gunderson - Awesome plane and I am liking your videos (watched 2 so far). We are also in the Twin Cities area (Glencoe). If I ever see you around I'll say Hi. Also, I just started a fun flight group and had our first run Saturday down to Albert Lea. Had 3 planes and 7 people so a humble beginning. One person even logged her first hours since we happened to have a CFI along in the group. If you are interested in a notification of any future events just say the word!

Re: Annuals.

We recently upgraded from a 73 year old Aeronca Chief to a 47 year old Skylane. First off, notably different when it comes to annuals (both time and cost).

With my wife's Chief annuals were usually done in a day, not many squawks and generally pretty simple to maintain. Other than the amount of items to cover, the annuals (3rd) for the 182 are getting more stable (fingers crossed, knocking on wood). Much like yourself we like to keep ahead on as much as we can.

Since we've bought it we've replaced the tires I scrubbed off while getting my PPL :) Added a calibrated/electronic CO monitor. Upgraded to a Concorde Battery (I moded the cover - a Cessna thing). Whelen landing and taxi lights. We had our A&P remove all obsolete avionics (ADF, Loran, etc) to panel mount our tablet until we get a navigator. Hardwired the GDL39-3D to hold us over until the XPDR update for ADSB. We added Rosen visors. Upgraded to a larger Halon extinguisher. It already had flap gap seals, BAS should harness, MOGAS STC, etc (benefits of buyng from a rich doctor). Our sore spot is the front strut, still leaking after being serviced again. So next fall (its okay all summer) we will attack it another way (new glide tube, ???).

We really like our A&P. His log keeping has easily survived my dumbo pilot deviaton followed by a FSDO review of my pilot and aircraft logs. Plus he's no nonsense (eg 406 replacement when we need it but expect it soon)

We do the oil changes, air up the strut, replaced bulbs ourselves, etc...things the owner can do. But we make sure to have our log entries read as clean, clear and obvious as the A&P's so we print them and insert them into the log book just like the A&P and Avionics IA does.

Every hour we fly we place at least $35 in the engine rebuild fund.

Like yourself, I want to replace the rest of the lighting with LED. Then our long term upgrade path probably goes something like this:

ADSB Out (Garmin 335 but now leaning to 345)
Engine Monitor (But keep existing instruments)
406 replacement (as soon as the old one bites it)
Windshield
Interior

...evaluate if we're keeping the skylane forever or want to move up to something faster, if we comitt to the 182 then....

Fuel Bladders (hope they make it to this side of the decision)
Navigator / Major Panel
Prop Overhaul
Paint (maybe)
Engine Overhaul

I guess that's how we roll. A nice old plane, not really upgraded yet but flying it a lot and enjoying it which is the most important part!!

Hi @Matt Gunderson - Awesome plane and I am liking your videos (watched 2 so far). We are also in the Twin Cities area (Glencoe). If I ever see you around I'll say Hi. Also, I just started a fun flight group and had our first run Saturday down to Albert Lea. Had 3 planes and 7 people so a humble beginning. One person even logged her first hours since we happened to have a CFI along in the group. If you are interested in a notification of any future events just say the word!

Re: Annuals.

We recently upgraded from a 73 year old Aeronca Chief to a 47 year old Skylane. First off, notably different when it comes to annuals (both time and cost).

With my wife's Chief annuals were usually done in a day, not many squawks and generally pretty simple to maintain. Other than the amount of items to cover, the annuals (3rd) for the 182 are getting more stable (fingers crossed, knocking on wood). Much like yourself we like to keep ahead on as much as we can.

Since we've bought it we've replaced the tires I scrubbed off while getting my PPL :) Added a calibrated/electronic CO monitor. Upgraded to a Concorde Battery (I moded the cover - a Cessna thing). Whelen landing and taxi lights. We had our A&P remove all obsolete avionics (ADF, Loran, etc) to panel mount our tablet until we get a navigator. Hardwired the GDL39-3D to hold us over until the XPDR update for ADSB. We added Rosen visors. Upgraded to a larger Halon extinguisher. It already had flap gap seals, BAS should harness, MOGAS STC, etc (benefits of buyng from a rich doctor). Our sore spot is the front strut, still leaking after being serviced again. So next fall (its okay all summer) we will attack it another way (new glide tube, ???).

We really like our A&P. His log keeping has easily survived my dumbo pilot deviaton followed by a FSDO review of my pilot and aircraft logs. Plus he's no nonsense (eg 406 replacement when we need it but expect it soon)

We do the oil changes, air up the strut, replaced bulbs ourselves, etc...things the owner can do. But we make sure to have our log entries read as clean, clear and obvious as the A&P's so we print them and insert them into the log book just like the A&P and Avionics IA does.

Every hour we fly we place at least $35 in the engine rebuild fund.

Like yourself, I want to replace the rest of the lighting with LED. Then our long term upgrade path probably goes something like this:

ADSB Out (Garmin 335 but now leaning to 345)
Engine Monitor (But keep existing instruments)
406 replacement (as soon as the old one bites it)
Windshield
Interior

...evaluate if we're keeping the skylane forever or want to move up to something faster, if we comitt to the 182 then....

Fuel Bladders (hope they make it to this side of the decision)
Navigator / Major Panel
Prop Overhaul
Paint (maybe)
Engine Overhaul

I guess that's how we roll. A nice old plane, not really upgraded yet but flying it a lot and enjoying it which is the most important part!!

Thanks for your feedback! I've got a bunch more video ideas that I'd like to start working on soon, so stay tuned for more! Also if there is anything specific that you would find interesting, let me know!

Another fellow Minnesotan! I grew up in the Twin Cities and my parents and in-laws both live in Burnsville, MN. We are based in Cedar Rapids but fly up quite regularly to Airlake LVN. Definitely let me know if you plan another fly-in somewhere!

By the way we had a GTX345 ADS-B In/Out last summer. I cannot recommend the GTX345 highly enough. The traffic and weather integration with the GNS530 is phenomenal.

Cheers!

I really enjoyed your video. My 172 and mooney m20f are soon going to be for sale in hopes I can find me a nice v-tail to keep as my for ever plane.

Glad you liked it. I finally got my airplane back from annual with the new beacon, interior, and a few other upgrades and fixes so I’ll have to post that soon. Let me know if you need any help finding your vtail!

Back