ICON A5 landing incident at PDK

Flocker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flocker
Saw this at my home airport today. Appears to be a gear up landing. 3L was closed for over 3 hours. Pilot was OK.

Attachments

• B5D20DBA-FB37-4BB7-83A4-35F06A5FF44A.jpeg
    B5D20DBA-FB37-4BB7-83A4-35F06A5FF44A.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 374
What time did this happen? I departed early this morning and returned at 1:00. Left the airport around 2:30.

That doesn't look like it's on 3L, looks like it ended up on the side of taxiway Alpha

Dang, as mentioned above, I guess the GUMP check didn’t quite get... um, checked.

Hopefully not too much damage since that’s (now) a really expensive amphibious LSA.

I was in my hangar at the time working on my plane and listening to the scanner when I heard tower ask him "all you alright? We're sending emergency equipment." The pilot responded "I screwed up" or something to that effect...

The pilot clearly had credentials hanging around his neck and the plane is registered to ICON. I wonder if he was heading to Nashville for the boat show this week...(they are a registered exhibitor)

Saw this at my home airport today. Appears to be a gear up landing. 3L was closed for over 3 hours. Pilot was OK.
It seems that people who purchase those planes fall into the category of "more money than brains".......

Marketing amphibs to low/no time pilots, who would have thunk it

Said it before, best hope is if cirrus takes it over with all that they have learned. The the A5 is a great little plane, crap company

Last edited:
Hmm
I’ve seen it happen. I watched a guy gear up a king air 350 one day. No one is infallible.

Maybe he was low time or lucked out before.

I had a close call once a long time ago when I was at like 700ish hours, that changed things, after getting my amphib knowing where I fly it that if I flip it there is no help coming for the most part, that changed things even more.

It saying it’s impossible, but it’s highly improbable

Not saying that I'm part of the "best of us," but I did recently ask myself "what's that buzzer buzzing for?". I was in my B24, following a cezzna 152 doing a B29 pattern. I had full flaps and was trying to not go around. When I turned final and started down, the intermittent warning horn intimated. I was so self distracted with my awesome spacing s-turns that I didn't do the GUMPS check until politely reminded. Almost didn't hear it!

Eric
ATP MEII, 9900 hrs, 3 types...still learning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Just saying, after one good scare (which I’d think would happen before you’re ATPed) you don’t even need the buzzer anymore

Maybe he was low time or lucked out before.

I had a close call once a long time ago when I was at like 700ish hours, that changed things, after getting my amphib knowing where I fly it that if I flip it there is no help coming for the most part, that changed things even more.

It saying it’s impossible, but it’s highly improbable
Ok

Just saying, after one good scare (which I’d think would happen before you’re ATPed) you don’t even need the buzzer anymore
A buzzer on an airplane that lands gear up intentionally in a certain phase of operation?

Depends on whether it makes a splashing sound or a scraping sound. ;)

How the hell does the airplane know whether it's landing on water or terra firma?

Some of them just remind of of the current gear position once below a airspeed

How the hell does the airplane know whether it's landing on water or terra firma?

I don't think the Icon has it but I do know that Wipaire has a Laser Gear Advisory system for their floats that supposedly can detect if the aircraft is about to land on water or land and compares that to the gear position then uses that combination of information to decide whether to give an alert or not. See details here.

Only in a amphibious plane can landing with the gear down be bad, or landing with the gear up be good.....

I should have added: “That’s the pilot’s job.”

But I do feel sorry for the guy. None of us are immune to complacency or inattention/distraction, especially when there is an unexpected change in routine.

Back