Newer Samsung TV's to get Apple iTunes and Airplay support

If you’re an Apple household, this will be good news. With airplay, you can avoid buying an AppleTV and just use your iPhone, iPad or laptop to sling content on there. Additionally, instead of connecting your laptop up to an HDMI port (or using AppleTV to connect your MacBook to the TV, you can literally now mirror your screen onto the TV and just use the TV as an external monitor.

If you’re an Apple household, this will be good news. With airplay, you can avoid buying an AppleTV and just use your iPhone, iPad or laptop to sling content on there. Additionally, instead of connecting your laptop up to an HDMI port (or using AppleTV to connect your MacBook to the TV, you can literally now mirror your screen onto the TV and just use the TV as an external monitor.
How do you define Apple household though? I have an iPhone, old iPad, Samsung TV and Windows PC's.

David

How do you define Apple household though? I have an iPhone, old iPad, Samsung TV and Windows PC's.

Well, I think you qualify since you have at least one “i” device. My household is almost competely Apple except for a couple of Windows 10 machines I keep for work (me) and gaming (my son monopolizes this machine). But the main thing is that if you have an Apple iPhone, iPad or Mac, you can now stream content onto that Samsung television without spending $150 for an Apple TV.

But the main thing is that if you have an Apple iPhone, iPad or Mac, you can now stream content onto that Samsung television without spending $150 for an Apple TV.

Of course, you can save way more than $150 by buying a non-Samsung TV. ;)

Its sounds like its probably more accurate to say iTunes households. I'm not sure we can legally be considered an Apple household since I use an android phone and still have a couple windows PC's around. Both the wife and I use Macbooks, she uses an ipad and iphone. But neither of us like or use iTunes any more than we're forced to. We have an AppleTV but we haven't used it since we got a smart TV. The apps built in to the TV do pretty much everything we want already. I'm not really seeing what this feature will add unless you're committed to using the software abomination that is iTunes.

Its sounds like its probably more accurate to say iTunes households. I'm not sure we can legally be considered an Apple household since I use an android phone and still have a couple windows PC's around. Both the wife and I use Macbooks, she uses an ipad and iphone. But neither of us like or use iTunes any more than we're forced to. We have an AppleTV but we haven't used it since we got a smart TV. The apps built in to the TV do pretty much everything we want already. I'm not really seeing what this feature will add unless you're committed to using the software abomination that is iTunes.

You wouldn't use iTunes (the software) with this. It's merely another client of the unfortunately-named iTunes Store, a way to stream movies/TV/music that aren't on Netflix, Hulu, or Prime Video.

Is there a significant amount of movie/tv content in iTunes that isn't available on Netflix Hulu Amazon or Youtube?

Apple has now shared a list of AirPlay 2–enabled TVs announced to date:
  • LG OLED (2019)
  • LG NanoCell SM9X series (2019)
  • LG NanoCell SM8X series (2019)
  • LG UHD UM7X series (2019)
  • Samsung QLED Series (2019 and 2018)
  • Samsung 8 Series (2019 and 2018)
  • Samsung 7 Series (2019 and 2018)
  • Samsung 6 Series (2019 and 2018)
  • Samsung 5 Series (2019 and 2018)
  • Samsung 4 Series (2019 and 2018)
  • Sony Z9G Series (2019)
  • Sony A9G Series (2019)
  • Sony X950G Series (2019)
  • Sony X850G Series (2019 85", 75", 65" and 55" models)
  • Vizio P-Series Quantum (2019 and 2018)
  • Vizio P-Series (2019, 2018 and 2017)
  • Vizio M-Series (2019, 2018 and 2017)
  • Vizio E-Series (2019, 2018 and 2017)
  • Vizio D-series (2019, 2018 and 2017)
I'm not really seeing what this feature will add

AirPlay 2 support will allow users to stream video, audio, photos, and more directly from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to supported smart TVs. HomeKit support is also coming to many of these TVs, enabling users to control volume, playback, and more using Siri or the Home app on an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.

Will this help so someone who has a subscription to Youtube TV or Sling?

AirPlay 2 support will allow users to stream video, audio, photos, and more directly from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to supported smart TVs.
It still kind of seems like another one of those Apple announcements of an amazing stupendous feature that isn't really all that amazing or stupendous. Probably 95% of what we watch on our TV is internet based so I'd say I qualify as a user of this type of technology. But I'm still having trouble picturing what I'd use this for. There was a time when we needed to mirror an ipad or a laptop to the TV to access certain things. But these days pretty much everything we'd access on our devices can be accessed on the TV directly.

Back