My valve pics....what say you?

Checkout_my_Six

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Check_my_Six
Ok....here are exhaust valve pics from #3 and #5. From an IO-540. What do y'all think?

btw....compressions for both were 79/80.
biggrin.gif
Oil consumption is good, oil filter is clean, and no morning sickness symptoms

Attachments

• WIN_20181229_15_08_52_Pro num 3.jpg
    WIN_20181229_15_08_52_Pro num 3.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 213
  • WIN_20181229_15_13_17_Pro num 5.jpg
    WIN_20181229_15_13_17_Pro num 5.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 209
Shouldn’t the red on #5 make a complete circle? Does that mean it isn’t able to rotate properly?

Do I see green on #3?

1. Fly it like you stole it;
2. I've never heard of a V-tail Bo with a Lycoming engine? o_O:confused: :confused2:

This summer I posted on Beechtalk images & a story about false positives when borescoping & how it can lead to costly mistakes.
If not a member and want badly to see, lmk & I will look into moving them here.

Isn't it about time for the original poster to start making snarky replies to earlier posts by others, insinuating they are looking at the wrong thing or otherwise don't know what they are talking about?;)

Last edited:
Question: does anybody ever pull a cylinder with good compression based on what they think they see on a valve face through a cheap video-scope?

[QUOTE="Let'sgoflying!]Think these need a closer look?[/quote]

upload_2019-1-2_23-47-2.jpeg

upload_2019-1-2_23-47-22.jpeg

The exact same valves 6 days later.
During this 6 days, the engine sat idle while the airplane was undergoing a condition inspection.

upload_2019-1-2_23-43-59.jpeg

upload_2019-1-2_23-43-42.jpeg

You do not pull a jug based solely on compression test results.
You probably shouldn’t based solely on one borescope result.

It will be a fun time when that valve seat comes out of that cracked head.

It’s okay, it’s experimental.

With no issues other than the photos given I’d leave Sixie’s cylinders alone.

Dave, those photos are interesting and I’ve not seen ones that look quite like that before. What were you using to take those pictures?

These are an online acquaintance’s who gave me permission to share.
I will try to post the whole story later but the point is that the original images seem to show something bad (and which some mechanics would pull a cylinder for) which turns out to be an optics effect as the same valve, same camera, a few days later without any running of the engine, looks a lot better.
Beechtalk has a lot of experienced folk who have studied engines & scope images and they did not have a ready explanation for this, nor did many say they are familiar with it.

I will try to post the whole story later but the point is that the original images seem to show something bad (and which some mechanics would pull a cylinder for) which turns out to be an optics effect as the same valve, same camera, a few days later without any running of the engine, looks a lot better.
Beechtalk has a lot of experienced folk who have studied engines & scope images and they did not have a ready explanation for this, nor did many say they are familiar with it.
Before I'd pull the cylinder I'd use a different method of looking at the area.
Borescope cameras show us stuff that can be interpreted differently by different people.
The direct prism borescope doesn't see these things.
also, other routines must be done prior to pulling the cylinder, I'd want the valve removed and see what is beyond the seat.

sometimes when a valve isn't rotating it will do that....after it starts to turn all is well again. That'd be my bet.

Back