Your PIC Hours for 2018

Mooney Fan

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
You Professional folks need not comment :)

Me 121.7

What say you?

Last edited:
135. That’s with my plane down the first 9 months. 66 on the brand new engine in the mooney!

6.6 Worst year ever. And I'm out of passenger currency for the first time in quite some time.

93.3 my best year so far. Doing the flying portion of my commercial checkride on Sunday so hopefully 2019 has even more after I get my CFI

I logged 216 hours in the MU-2, and another 10-15 in the 414 for its test flight and delivering it to the new owners in Salt Lake City, plus doing their checkout. I forget the exact number. So figure 225-230.

By far not my best year, but it's the most since my kids were born and covered most of the continent. I need to do a GC Map as it'll look pretty good for the year.

49. Primarily training. With a new baby, not much traveling going on. This is not that far off from my average(without CAP involvement now) though.

18.0 Ugh!!! September of 2017 the J5 I was flying all the time got wrecked by another pilot in a ground start accident. Didn't get to fly again until March of this year. At that point I drove the hour and a half to the big city and got my complex and HP out of the way and just to get some flying in and used it as a flight review. Got checked out in a Champ and was flying that for a bit but then it started having all sorts of mechanical issues. Twice when I was flying it the engine started running rough on me and I had to beeline for the airport. New mags, a rebuilt carb (dirty filter) and it is just now ready for test runs and flights again but since it is on grass who knows when I will actually get to fly it again with the wet and winter weather.

My biggest issue is plane availability the 172 I had to rent was sold in the end of 2016. Then a wrecked plane and now mechanical issues. The closest other airplanes to rent are an hour and fifteen away and at a class C airport. So besides 2.5 hours of driving when you do get to fly you spend most of the time getting in and out of the class C.

I really want to buy something but just haven't found the right plane yet. Came close last summer the guy I had do the prebuy was VERY picky which is a good thing but I think maybe a little overly so in this case based on price but since he is the one who would be doing the annual it would have been cost prohibitive mainly to correct paper work issues (yeah FAA). Maybe this is the year I will find the right fit.

I feel shame. But I did get off my ass and finally get my SES, so there’s that!

I'm afraid to look. I sold an airplane and bought a new one and it's still in another state since my local airport is closed for 5 months; a person I've never met is keeping it in their hangar for me (which is super nice of them). *Edit* Actually not too bad. I'll have to grab my logbook to fully tally, but I had 37 hours in the Sierra before I sold it, and I have about 11 in the V35, so close to 50, which makes me feel better.

Last edited:
147.4 Lot's of XC trips including a recent one from RYY to GON.

0 hours total to 74.2 from June to Dec. New PPL. Hope to do some long XC this year.

Planned
KMGJ-B19 205sm
KMGJ-KUNV 191sm
KMGJ-KROA 419sm
2NK9-KOSH (A big maybe)

30ish. 7 moths without a medical. This year will be better!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My slowest year in many years. Two longer than expect Annuals (well, one was a Condition Inspection) and the wettest year here in the 15+ years I've been here. Airplanes at two different airport, one more than an hour drive away. Moving between hangars (and finally bringing my J-3 back home). End result was only 41 hours...

I am really hoping having both plane at same field/same hangar and fingers crossed for better weather in 2019 that I will get back in the 80 hour range or better.

TT2018.JPG

Been taking care of my wife since the first week of October (spinal fusion), so I'm low this year.
Total PIC is 96.8
Total right seat is about 23.

7.4, I didn't log anything until July or anything in August and September. Hopefully will fly more this year, but I doubt it.

10 in an airplane, 10 in a sim. All towards the instrument rating. No flying since September because life.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

326 for 2018. At least half of that was professional flying.

That was my best year flying so far. I think I logged over 100 hours in the T6 alone.

About 30 PIC plus another 6 dual. Been tough getting personal availability and rental availability to coincide.

WAY less than I should have logged, that's for sure. Only 33.4. Pretty pathetic, considering I flew over 50 in 2017, swore to fly more in 2018, and OWN THE BLOODY PLANE. Well, half of it at least. Didn't help that we had the silly thing down for the condition inspection during some primo flying weather, and I had a kitchen remodel that kept me busy pretty much the entire summer.
I don’t think that ‘running total’ is a running total....
Check the right-side axis. I missed that at first glance too.

78 for the year, with my year ending June 29th. I was on a record pace until the accident. I’m looking forward to getting back in the air sometime this year and maybe buying another plane.

map%2B2018.JPG

https://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2018/12/2018-in-review.html?m=1

Last edited:
Wow, I've been averaging about 40 hours a year up until this year when I got serious about pursuing my ratings but seeing most of the PoA'ers in that range doesn't make me feel so inferior anymore. There are those on here who make you feel like an unsafe pilot if you don't fly eleventy-billion hours a month.

Wow, I've been averaging about 40 hours a year up until this year when I got serious about pursuing my ratings but seeing most of the PoA'ers in that range doesn't make me feel so inferior anymore. There are those on here who make you feel like an unsafe pilot if you don't fly eleventy-billion hours a month.
As someone that barely made 100 the last two years, I do agree that’s a good minimum to avoid rust. I think a few more would be better.

40 was my minimum goal that I had set out as well, I think you need at least that much to stay generally proficient.. but everyone is different. In reality 2018 showed about 120-130, I have one or two entries missing I need to add

Since some of you upthread shared graphs and Excel goodies here is my shot at it with Tableau. This is missing some entries since the update of this is kind of a PITA to go from Foreflight to CSV and over to Tableau, but gives a good idea. December was a good month with a couple trips in there

(PS, I haven't found any good logbook apps or software to satiate a data geek)

upload_2019-1-2_15-57-41.png

There are those on here who make you feel like an unsafe pilot if you don't fly eleventy-billion hours a month
..for sure, I read some other statistic somewhere that the average "active" PPL logs fewer than 20 hrs per year. Now what you consider "active" to be I'm not sure. But, if you don't own an airplane or the club is a 1 hr drive with limited available and the weather often sucks and you have a family and a full time job? I can totally understand how some people have a hard time building hours.. I have friends that are happy if they can log 1-2 hrs a month on a weekend they can sneak away..

You really need a "mission" to get any sort of "real" flight time and the luxury to have aircraft availability, weather, and a career that allows that

...Check the right-side axis. I missed that at first glance too.

that last column is a TOTAL, right? the line, if it was a running total, in column b should reflect a plus b, and in column c should reflect a + b + c....etc, no?

~40, mostly due to poor wx on the weekends, when I have time to fly. That was less than half of 2017!

that last column is a TOTAL, right? the line, if it was a running total, in column b should reflect a plus b, and in column c should reflect a + b + c....etc, no?
And it does appear to reflect the running total, if you use the right side Y axis for the values. Looks like the red line indicates 500-ish total (using the right-hand Y axis scale), which looks about right if you total up all the columns (using the left-hand Y axis scale). Looks like the last column is just the 2018 hours.

You Professional folks need not comment :)
Sure we can. Just limit it to non professional flying. Mine is a couple of hours in the tow plane and maybe one in the glider. There just isn’t much opportunity for GA flying for me in Guam.

And it does appear to reflect the running total, if you use the right side Y axis for the values. Looks like the red line indicates 500-ish total (using the right-hand Y axis scale), which looks about right if you total up all the columns (using the left-hand Y axis scale). Looks like the last column is just the 2018 hours.

ah, yes, got it now, thanks.

I did OK in 2018 :)
Cessna 172 21 hours
V35B Bonanza 15 hours
Cessna 140 17 hours
J-3 Cub 60 hours
Pitts 12 hours
Breezy 5 hours
Airbike 2 hours
Christen Eagle 15 hours
Stearman 13 hours

110.1 for me. Trying to spend more time building my RV-8. But, its hard when the little Sonerai is so much fun and so cheap to fly.

Back