Thinking about buying a float plane

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
I got my seawings in 2006 . Never used it , it was just to fulfill bucket list. I have been thinking about getting into twin for quite a while but love my current plane too much and not wanting to let her go. Solution I came up with is having two planes rather than a twin. Seriously considering something like this :
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...BUCCANEER&listing_id=2333052&s-type=aircraft#
Anyone knows more about this type of planes ?

I would LOVE to do something like that. No practical place to fly it where I live.

Interesting that your thread title states that you are looking for a float plane but the ad you post is for a flying boat. Different thing.

Bucs are great fliers. Almost as maneuverable as a Jetski on the step below 40 knots, you can just toss the things about. It's really a lot of fun. About as well mannered as a high thrustline amphibian can be, it has a predictable porpoising tendency on the water which is easily corrected for. About 172 cruise speed on just a gallon or two more per hour so it's no speed machine. I wouldn't count on hauling 4 people off the water either. Probably not even 3 big ones.

Flaps are either up or down (and you want them down on the water, for takeoff and landing). Pretty stout landing gear, tall tires and trailing link on the mains. Castering with an oleo strut on the nose. Elevator trim, gear, and flaps are all hydraulic. I didn't see any mention in the ad about bat-wings or VGs. Most of them at this point have one or the other, apparently it greatly improves the slow flight characteristics and handling. I haven't flown one without so I can't make a comparison. I've been told the bat wings and VGs do the exact same thing and there's not really a difference between them. The sponsons can be STCd to carry an extra 7 or 8 gallons per, but it doesn't look like this one has it.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Buc. I'd love to fly a renegade some day. Most of my amphib time is in the Seawind.

EDIT: if any of this interests you, read "Go to Hull" by Steve Reep...you can google that and find the pdf, it's a really entertaining read. Covers pretty much every aspect of Lake flying.

Last edited:
Lake aircraft are great, just make sure you get a check out by someone who knows the good the bad and the ugly of the LA-4-200. If you find a CFI that did not get the factory check out look for another CFI, you need a CFI that knows Lake aircraft.

I know a guy in Florida who has one. Lives on the water, and drives right down a ramp from his garage/hangar.

I got my seawings in 2006 . Never used it , it was just to fulfill bucket list. I have been thinking about getting into twin for quite a while but love my current plane too much and not wanting to let her go. Solution I came up with is having two planes rather than a twin. Seriously considering something like this :
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=LAKE&model=LA+4/200+BUCCANEER&listing_id=2333052&s-type=aircraft#
Anyone knows more about this type of planes ?
The remarks seem somewhat misleading if not all out fraudulent after reading this https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb....ev_id=20001212X20822&ntsbno=FTW00LA133&akey=1

EDIT: if any of this interests you, read "Go to Hull" by Steve Reep...you can google that and find the pdf, it's a really entertaining read. Covers pretty much every aspect of Lake flying.

Thanks
I will check it out

No experience in the Lake aircraft, but quite a bit of floatplane time in Alaska. My brother and I were partners on two planes for many years, a C185 and a Scout on floats. I saw a few Buccaneers around, but they aren't used much in AK. Seemed like they took a lot of water to get in air. My opinion- look at your intended landing spots.... seaplanes like the Lake might be better for larger lakes with rougher water, but most aircraft on straight floats are better for shorter takeoffs and landings. High wing floatplanes can be handier for operating around docks and shoreline obstructions also.

No experience in the Lake aircraft, but quite a bit of floatplane time in Alaska. My brother and I were partners on two planes for many years, a C185 and a Scout on floats. I saw a few Buccaneers around, but they aren't used much in AK. Seemed like they took a lot of water to get in air. My opinion- look at your intended landing spots.... seaplanes like the Lake might be better for larger lakes with rougher water, but most aircraft on straight floats are better for shorter takeoffs and landings. High wing floatplanes can be handier for operating around docks and shoreline obstructions also.
Thanks . Thats great info.
Right now I am at the tire kicking stage.

Interesting that your thread title states that you are looking for a float plane but the ad you post is for a flying boat. Different thing.
Thank for pointing that out. What I meat was that looking for something that is capable to landing on water

Respectfully go fly a Lake and then reconsider your impression for time to get off the water and land on the water. Have owned 5 Lakes over the decades. I agree they are more problematic around docks.

Thank for pointing that out. What I meat was that looking for something that is capable to landing on water

I sort of figured you were looking for something to land on water or in other words, a seaplane. Floatplanes and flying boats are the two basic types of seaplanes but one should not conflate the terminology.

I am also considering buying a seaplane and have yet to settle on which kind. I’ve only flown a couple of float planes so I’d like to fly a flying boat or two before settling into my search but I do seem to have a bias towards amphib floats for various reasons.

Good luck on your search.

Back