• Original Teal

Votes: 38 60.3%

• Total voters

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Just some preliminary decisions here... but my plane needs paint... bad. It's original to 1970 except for the rudder and wingtips so ~49 year old paint.

I'm going keep the same factory Skywagon design. The only choice is the color... I could repaint it to original color, or go with the forest green that's on my wingtips and rudder. I'm torn... thoughts? Top picture is from my plane in the 80's.
1319927-large.jpg IMG_20180212_154641.jpg IMG_20180211_135626.jpg

There’s something to be said for keeping it original color, especially if you are preserving the paint scheme. The brighter teal fits the environment better IMO

Do something more exotic like Cirrus and Pilatus are doing.

I'd keep the classic look with the original teal if you plan to retain the original paint scheme (and that is definitely what I would do if it was my personal airplane).

If you are going to change the paint scheme to a "modernized" one, then the contrast of the dark Forest Green on white is in keeping with the more dramatic contrasting schemes favored today. In that case you might also want to consider adding gold/yellow complimentary striping or accent color in a tri-color scheme.

That teal looks really nice, maybe spice it up a little and use some pearl or something.

It factory schemes are nice, minus some of the Cessna interiors lol

If you’re going to paint I’d add the cowl louvers

I’d also look into deleting the tail beacon and putting LED wing tip/strobes with the different wingtips to allow proper light coverage to allow deleting the beacon.

I'd change it. Figuring out how? That's the fun part. I liked the '74 scheme better than '75 so I started with that. Color? Green would be my last choice. Too hard to spot in trees. Cessna colors were generally drab and unspectacular. The lines were good, though.

I'd keep the classic look with the original teal if you plan to retain the original paint scheme (and that is definitely what I would do if it was my personal airplane).

If you are going to change the paint scheme to a "modernized" one, then the contrast of the dark Forest Green on white is in keeping with the more dramatic contrasting schemes favored today. In that case you might also want to consider adding gold/yellow complimentary striping or accent color in a tri-color scheme.

+1.

When my 182 was in for annual a few years back, a 185 on floats came in for some work. Forest Green Metallic on white with gold trim. Gorgeous airplane.

Personally I like the forest green option.

Just some preliminary decisions here... but my plane needs paint... bad. It's original to 1970 except for the rudder and wingtips so ~49 year old paint.

I'm going keep the same factory Skywagon design. The only choice is the color... I could repaint it to original color, or go with the forest green that's on my wingtips and rudder. I'm torn... thoughts? Top picture is from my plane in the 80's.
View attachment 70378 View attachment 70379 View attachment 70380

It’s a beauty, obvious it’s had lots of TLC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you’re going to paint I’d add the cowl louvers

I’d also look into deleting the tail beacon and putting LED wing tip/strobes with the different wingtips to allow proper light coverage to allow deleting the beacon.
Okay a question on the louvers: I've thought about doing the cowl louvers, but I don't have any issues with engine cooling in the summer and if anything have a slightly hard time keeping my cylinders warm in the winter. So not sure they're particularly necessary for me (other than looking sweet)

As for the beacon, I've already put a Whelen LED beacon on ($$$) so I think I'll keep it. I didn't want to run another wire out into the wing anyway. But yeah I might gain a knot out of pulling the beacon off. I wish the Whelen one was lower profile.

It’s a beauty, obvious it’s had lots of TLC
Thanks! A bit of neglect the last couple decades and I'm doing my best to bring her into this century. Atleast she's loved again :). I'm a real sucker for this Skywagon. Fantastic cruise speed and STOL performance, I intend to keep it as stock as reasonable.

Louvers on 180s are usually to keep 520s cool. Not always necessary for that. I got about 10* of CHT drop.

Okay a question on the louvers: I've thought about doing the cowl louvers, but I don't have any issues with engine cooling in the summer and if anything have a slightly hard time keeping my cylinders warm in the winter. So not sure they're particularly necessary for me (other than looking sweet)

As for the beacon, I've already put a Whelen LED beacon on ($$$) so I think I'll keep it. I didn't want to run another wire out into the wing anyway. But yeah I might gain a knot out of pulling the beacon off. I wish the Whelen one was lower profile.

Thanks! A bit of neglect the last couple decades and I'm doing my best to bring her into this century. Atleast she's loved again :). I'm a real sucker for this Skywagon. Fantastic cruise speed and STOL performance, I intend to keep it as stock as reasonable.

I have them on mine (io520) and in the winter I haven’t had a issue with the louvers, some folks have screw on covers, or you could always just add some temp aluminum tape if needed.

Just seems like if you’re going to be painting might as well, especially if you ever repower or anything

If you are wanting to stick with green, I'd go with the forest green. However, I think a different color would look better such as blue or red.

$200 from who?

No STC necessary.

Yes there is a STC

It’s $5 for members
http://www.skywagons.org/
F6955421-C286-48-EC-9-C6-C-46-A23-FEC549-F.png

I was wrong, think they are a little more now, but like 200ish

346983407_1_1

Last edited:
Yes, but what is your opinion?

Sorry ... I'm married, so I'm not used to being asked for my opinion. :oops:

Actually, I'm partial to either your original color ("Blue Wing Metallic") or the darker "Venice Blue Metallic", rather than a forest green.

C-185.jpeg

Was the old color Venice Blue Metallic? I would be partial to that, although it looks darker in the color sample than it does in the airplane photos. It's hard to tell from photos, though. The top photo of your airplane (the one from the 80s) has a green cast to it and the bottom photo has a blue cast.

TS Alphin has been gone for several years. His STC went to some outfit in Maryland and the louver inventory to Skywagon City. Last I knew the louvers were $600 at Skywagon City but that dates back to when Peter was still alive. The Skywagon club's STC named Alphin. No need, no STC required to add louvers. I take it yours were already installed when you bought your plane?

Was the old color Venice Blue Metallic? I would be partial to that, although it looks darker in the color sample than it does in the airplane photos. It's hard to tell from photos, though. The top photo of your airplane (the one from the 80s) has a green cast to it and the bottom photo has a blue cast.

I believe it's the darker Venice blue metallic, but has faded over time. Seeing that picture of another skywagon with the Venice blue really makes me love that color again... Curious what olive looks like though.

I believe it's the darker Venice blue metallic, but has faded over time. Seeing that picture of another skywagon with the Venice blue really makes me love that color again... Curious what olive looks like though.
You should have a metal plate in the pilot's side doorjamb with the color code - the 1970 parts manual decodes it.

You should have a metal plate in the pilot's side doorjamb with the color code - the 1970 parts manual decodes it.
O-AP-2766 there's more info on the data plate below it if you need that too.

Attachments

• IMG_20181231_095110.jpg
    IMG_20181231_095110.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 49
Of your 2 options I think I'd go with the teal, especially if the "teal" turns out to be that Venice Blue Metallic. That looks really good.

O-AP-2766 there's more info on the data plate below it if you need that too.
The '0' (zero) is the model year (1970); 'AP' is the interior color ("Clove Brown"); and '2766' means the optional all-over "Vestal White" (CES1054-802) base with "Blue Wing Metallic" (CES1054-968) trim.

"Venice Blue Metallic" is CES1054-833.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 1.00.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 1.01.19 PM.png

Last edited:
TS Alphin has been gone for several years. His STC went to some outfit in Maryland and the louver inventory to Skywagon City. Last I knew the louvers were $600 at Skywagon City but that dates back to when Peter was still alive. The Skywagon club's STC named Alphin. No need, no STC required to add louvers. I take it yours were already installed when you bought your plane?

Tossed mine on like 1.5yrs ago, paid like 200ish as memory serves from the same guy in the email I posted I think, got the STC and docs for the 337 we sent in from skywagons.org for like $5 bucks.

If I were to repaint my plane, I'd want to choose colors to make it more visible in the air.

Okay, to start things off we are biased towards green. Here is our 182. All original paint and picture taken this summer. Photoshop to bring out the colors a bit. It has the dark and light green. This was 1972. If we were going to repaint I would seriously consider the Green/Silver look of the TTx. I love that back in the 70's they even did that thin stripe up above the door and below the wing.
20160730131806_A7R2_DSC02438.jpg

Now, I have heard that green is the hardest color to sell and I can believe that. So maybe if you already have the Venice blue you might want to stick to it both because it looks really cool and could sell a bit easier. But its like it needs something to make it stand out a bit. Here are a few colors:
SkywagonGreen.jpg SkywagonRed.jpg SkywagonRust.jpg SkywagonSkyBlue.jpg SkywagonSkyDarkerBlue.jpg SkywagonSkyDarkerPurple.jpg

Austin, I would start out by not painting it another year or two. You’ve had an expensive year with it and that will likely continue into year 2. Wait a bit longer.

Back