Anyone have a dashcam?

It's been a thing in Russia for years. Check out Youtube videos.

I don't yet, but its on my list when I have a couple of bucks to blow. I've been in far too many close call situations, not to mention all the craziness you see on the road.

We have them in both of our cars. Bought them a couple of years ago. Not a whole lot to say about them, we haven't needed to review the video for any reason yet, but it's there if we need it. Every once in a while I pull the SD cards out just to make sure they're still recording, and they are.

Tons of choices out there now, I wouldn't think it would matter too much which one you go with.

Got one for my Jeep. Has already proven to be useful when some arrogant tosser in a BMW pulled into my lane on a corner and I took out his entire left hand side with my steel fenders. No damage to me! He was pretty mad.

I have a Street Guardian SG9663DC. You can read my review of it here.

Rich

I use the ones from blackboxmycar.com. Very good quality.

Really only used it once, to validate I was not hallucinating. Was in SC on the way back to GA and it was about 10pm. Came around a winding corner on the interstate and damn near killed some woman who thought it was wise to walk across the interstate. It was so shocking, I was like, WTF was that... Did I imagine that?

Reviewed the video and there she was. I was going about 75mph if I recall correctly and she was walking so fast that she damn near hit my side mirror. Scared the hell out of me.

There are many times, where some asshat does something that makes me say outloud, glad I have cameras in case this goes bad...

I've bought the cheap walmart ones a few times. They're good for a few months. I do like them. I need one that covers both the front and rear.

Have a Garmin GPS with a built in dash cam in my company vehicle. I put it in for liability protection and thankfully haven't needed it for that yet. It was also my idea to install a front/rear facing dash cam system in all of our company trucks. Some of the drivers hated it but we've had several instances where having the video was beneficial. I've also fired a few guys because of their camera clips but I still see that as a win.

I've bought the cheap walmart ones a few times. They're good for a few months. I do like them. I need one that covers both the front and rear.

You need to go high-end for dual-lens dash cams. The processing power needed to properly process two simultaneous video streams with a decent bitrate and keep them in sync is considerable.

I haven't regretted my Street Guuardian SG9663DC purchase. Here's another review I wrote on it, complete with test videos.

https://www.geekonthehill.com/2018/03/20/street-guardian-sg9663dc-test-demo-videos/

Full disclosure: The links are monetized.

The other thing I like about Street Guardian is the company itself. Both the manufacturer and the U.S. distributor are extremely responsive. They've been known to do things like make special long (or short) cables for users with unusual needs, for example, and research car models to identify which fuse set a user needs for the hardwire kit. They're also very active on the Dash Cam Forum and typically respond to questions or problems in minutes. If a problem is identified that requires a firmware update, maybe a few days.

Rich

Back