Tea

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Being men of wealth and taste, I figured we should have a tea thread in addition to a coffee thread. I'm still saving up for my own coffee plantation, so here is my DIY chai recipe:

1 bag of tea, Lipton is fine
1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper
one shake of ground clove
one or two shakes of ground ginger
two or three shakes of cinnamon
two or three shakes of cardamom
sweeten with milk and honey or condensed milk

This here is one of my favorite teas. A good sweet tea from chick fil a hits the spot too!

image.jpg

Tea?
Fortnum & Mason "Afternoon Blend".

Mornings are for coffee!

At home, I have an Assamese blend I get in India.
At work, I'll have green tea or a keemun that my Chinese colleagues and dealers give me.

Being men of wealth and taste, I figured we should have a tea thread in addition to a coffee thread. I'm still saving up for my own coffee plantation, so here is my DIY chai recipe:

1 bag of tea, Lipton is fine
1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper
one shake of ground clove
one or two shakes of ground ginger
two or three shakes of cinnamon
two or three shakes of cardamom
sweeten with milk and honey or condensed milk
Except for the Lipton, I know that as a type of masala cha -> masala chai. You may find an improvement if you use a good leaf tea.

Last edited:
I never knew people put milk in their tea until I visited the UK.

I don't care for chai. Lately I've been doing mostly green tea, though.

Also tea leaf > tea dust. I try to avoid bags wherever I have a choice.

Lipton green tea and decaf tea mix,iced of course.

This here is one of my favorite teas. A good sweet tea from chick fil a hits the spot too!

View attachment 70381
Looks interesting. I am always ready to try new teas. Years ago the absolute best tea I ever had was called Maryland Club. You only encountered it
in high quality restaurants. A few years ago I recalled it, and checked to see if it was available. It was - and still is (Google it). I ordered some, and
found that, while good, it was not as good as I remembered. Don't know why - but expect that the brand has changed hands in the meantime.

Nowadays my daily eye-opener (or anytime the mood strikes) is Trader Joe's Irish Breakfast.

Dave

When I met my wife 12 years ago she was a tea fanatic. The water has to be at an exact temperature etc. She only buys high quality teas & thinks Lipton is yucky.

I used to tease her about it but...now I'm converted. I now drink tea 90% of the time and coffee occasionally. Tea seems easier on my stomach & I don't get the acid that coffee gives me. I also put creamer in my tea.

I've started ordering tea online. Recently we found a chestnut tea we are crazy about. It is really tasty. I also like Earl Grey & Scottish Breakfast.

I find it interesting when I drink tea at work & have a tea string hanging out of my Starbucks coffee mug, I get razzed. Some of my co-workers call it a girly drink. Whatever?

This morning I made a pot of Chai tea & enjoyed the spicy flavor.

Looks interesting. I am always ready to try new teas. Years ago the absolute best tea I ever had was called Maryland Club. You only encountered it
in high quality restaurants. A few years ago I recalled it, and checked to see if it was available. It was - and still is (Google it). I ordered some, and
found that, while good, it was not as good as I remembered. Don't know why - but expect that the brand has changed hands in the meantime.

Maryland Club is what our food service contractor stocks in the self service staff lounges.

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

Nauga,
referred

One of my silly pet peeves... “Chai” just means tea. Chai tea makes as much sense as café coffee. Just because Starbucks sells a “Chai Tea Latte” doesn’t mean it’s correct.

Mostly when people say Chai, they’re talking about Masala Chai. Indian spiced tea. Masala=spices; Chai=tea.

...so here is my DIY chai recipe:
...so here is my DIY tea recipe

I don't care for chai.
I don’t care for tea.

This morning I made a pot of Chai tea & enjoyed the spicy flavor.
This morning I made a pot of Tea tea...

I know that as a type of marsala cha -> marsala chai. You may find an improvement if you use a good leaf tea.
Im sure you meant Masala Chai, unless you used Italian cooking wine. ;)

One of my silly pet peeves... “Chai” just means tea. Chai tea makes as much sense as café coffee. Just because Starbucks sells a “Chai Tea Latte” doesn’t mean it’s correct.

Thanks for catching that....auto-correct got me twice there. Fixed.

Blech. And double blech for sweetened tea as well.
Funny. I’m exactly the opposite. I like my coffee black and strong. My tea almost always has to be sweet. The wife and I just got back from a trip to Morocco. The mint tea they serve everywhere over there is super sweet. Almost sickeningly sweet. I loved it. My wife hated it.

My mom had fancy pyramid shaped tea at a hotel a few years ago, and loved both the tea and the presentation. So now it's my go-to gift a few times a year. She wouldn't buy it otherwise (pricing), so it's a nice indulgence.

Sometimes it's not just about the tea :)

BGQ57ZL_mu.jpg

When I was in college someone gave me several tins of Twinings teas. I've always liked their jasmine and Earl Grey teas.

No sugar!!
Love and scandal are the best sweetners of tea. ~Henry Fielding​

Assam and Nine Bend Black Dragon (Panyong Golden Needle) are my favorites. Coffee was too much on my stomach.

Mostly when people say Chai, they’re talking about Masala Chai. Indian spiced tea. Masala=spices; Chai=tea.

...so here is my DIY tea recipe

I don’t care for tea.

This morning I made a pot of Tea tea...

Thanks for the chai tirade. It means "tea" in some places. Living in Japan, the ubiquitous beverage is cha. Hey, it's their language, and the drink is pretty good whether pale green or sorta brown.

Here, I drink Lipton's Cold Brew, one family sized bag in a gallon of water for an hour or four. Not having to boil water then cool it back down is nice.

But not until after my morning coffee. Then iced tea takes me to bedtime. My 32oz Yeti is about 3/4 full, right beside me.

The aussie T2 brand is finally importing into the US. Their French Earl Grey is quite nice with a splash of heavy cream.

Republic of Tea's "Celebration" makes some serious high-octane iced tea. If you drink it in the PM you will still be awake in the AM. :D

Back