Returning, After a LONG Delay

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
A severe water damage to my home in 2016 resulted in 5½ months of contractors in and out of the premises while my home insurance carrier had me living in a hotel for nearly three months. It royally fouled-up my flying activities. Some time ago I sold Skyhawk N7872G. Its new owner has progressed to CFI in both Land and Float, and is ATP. He also continues to be my photo pilot.

My prior website operator was purchased by a bigger company which, in a year or so, managed to takes its purchase "down the tubes." I knew it would take a while to sort, configure, and upload images from my many thousands of files to a new site, but the project is now in its beginning stages and is published on an Under Construction status. https://distinctiveviews.com. This "night owl" has his work cut out for him.

Last edited:
Thanks; and 2018 has been a "winner" in addition. February: EMT(d) out of my retirement part time gig with what turned out to be a "minor heart attack," though was back to work after 3 day hospital stay. May: massive tumor - between a tennis ball and a softball - removed from innards. Estimated 3 day stay turned to 17. Surgeon said, "You are flat-out lucky; all benign - the mass and the entire colon tract." Ever see a grown man cry? Was back at the part time employment about two weeks later, under "lifting restrictions." As noted, a "winning" year. So here I sit, in the trees on the 300 year old Island of Georgetown, behind that window to the right of the entrance -- the studio - trying to be creative. December 28 - NO SNOW on the grounds. (But the house aerial was in July)

Attachments

• DSC06035 (1).JPG
    DSC06035 (1).JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Lots going on it sounds like, but we’re glad you’re back. Always nice to see a charter member return to the board.

Welcome back,glad you had a winning year.

Well, it's great to hear from you, but sorry to hear about all the hassles. Hope everything gets ironed out sson. Welcome back!
Pilawt: I see that you are in Phoenix. I had a not too long ownership of a home in Scottsdale(North Scottsdale, as my mother said was the reference attached to the area. Her was only the 3rd house built in that particular development(and PULTE built everything out there, from what I heard at the time). It wasn't IN the McCormack Ranch development, but wasn't too far away from it. When she had it built(1986 or so) she had 135k into it. The builder was so happy she paid cash, they threw in another 15k worth of window treatments and air conditioning upgrades. After it came into my ownership I learned that there was a three year wait to get a space for an airplane out there; and Ma said that SDL apparently had the opinion that any aircraft other than kerosene burners didn't deserve "their bother." And there aren't too many seashores and lobster boats, etc. such as I'm known to aerially photograph, out there, so I put the house on the market in 2005. Sold for 517k; with great luck, because that's the era when the real estate market was tanking and people were "walking out" at midnight because they were "under water." At the time it was on the market there 3900 residences in Scottsdale and Phoenix that were in the Multiple Listings files. The last time Ma was visiting me in Maine she wore a T-shirt that said, "I Survived 122° in Scottsdale," or words to that effect. So hot, she said, that airplanes(commercial, I assume) couldn't take off. The last time I was out there we went to Deer Valley "Breakfast Club" as guests of Warren McIlvoy. I was basically amazed that Deer Valley elevation was (something like) 6850msl(if I remember correctly). Amazed? Because back here at KIWI we lift off at about 70msl. So I flew up to Flagstaff with Warren McIlvoy in his avionics-loaded aircraft while he was delivering blood supply for the Red Cross. When we departed Flagstaff, or it might have been Sedona, I was concentrating on ALL the instruments which weren't in my C172L. Watching I was, when I commented, "Wow, it surely didn't take us long to get to 8000 feet." To which his reply was, "No, it doesn't; especially when you start at 7000 feet." Duh, on my part. Around here, we have to head over the mountains to read 8000 feet. I'm going to try and post a picture of my former Scottsdale house, if i can remember how to meander through the posting mechanics. There was no lawn to mow. Ma once said that she had 2 ton of crushed rock hauled in. I asked her who was to spread it; she said, "I did." She was about 80 years old at that time. The other picture? Warren, approaching Phoenix(not much grass there, either) after the trip to Flagstaff.

Attachments

• Scottsdale Home.jpg
    Scottsdale Home.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 35
  • Approach to Phoenix.JPG
    Approach to Phoenix.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I was basically amazed that Deer Valley elevation was (something like) 6850msl(if I remember correctly)

If your talking abut Deer Valley near Phoenix, the airport elevation is around 1400 or so. Sedona is only about 4800 something in elevation. Flagstaff is a little over 7000. With summer density altitude over 10,000 feet in FLG it is definitely worth checking the performance numbers once or twice. I think their selling point is something like, fuel up in Flagstaff and save a mile in altitude...

My house is at 6600 MSL. When I go fly in Alaska I'll be at 5500 MSL, or about 5300 AGL, I'll tell people we are still 1000 feet below my house in NM...:lol::lol:

My grandparents retired to Scottsdale in the early 70s (I think 72) and then moved to Sun City West in the late 80s. I visited them often.
My grandmother at 101 just moved to Minneapolis to be with her daughter since she can no longer maintain the house on her own.

I hope I inherit her gene's.

Always good to hear history. Welcome back.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Back here in Maine, but a few years ago, at the Great State of Maine Airshow: The B-1, at the former Naval Air Station Brunswick. I was one of the volunteers assigned to the Security Detail. At lunch I was able to sit with the B-1 Flight Crew. They had quite a chuckle when making the approach to the airport. It seems the flight crew had been instructed to burn off some fuel before landing in Brunswick. There's plenty of ocean under their route so they ventured further out to sea. Then they proceeded to "put on on a show" for a private audience: a group of lobstermen in their boats down below. It was quite a hoot to hear them relate the story.

Attachments

• DSC01731 (1).JPG
    DSC01731 (1).JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 22
Pilawt: I see that you are in Phoenix. I had a not too long ownership of a home in Scottsdale(North Scottsdale, as my mother said was the reference attached to the area. Her was only the 3rd house built in that particular development(and PULTE built everything out there, from what I heard at the time). It wasn't IN the McCormack Ranch development, but wasn't too far away from it. When she had it built(1986 or so) she had 135k into it. The builder was so happy she paid cash, they threw in another 15k worth of window treatments and air conditioning upgrades. After it came into my ownership I learned that there was a three year wait to get a space for an airplane out there; and Ma said that SDL apparently had the opinion that any aircraft other than kerosene burners didn't deserve "their bother." And there are too many seashores and lobster boats, etc. such as I'm know to aerially photograph, out there, so I put the house on the market in 2005. Sold for 517k; with great luck, because that's the era when the real estate market was tanking and people were "walking out" at midnight because they were "under water." At the time it was on the market there 3900 residences in Scottsdale and Phoenix that were in the Multiple Listings files. The last time Ma was visiting me in Maine she wore a T-shirt that said, "I Survied 122° in Scottsdale," or words to that effect. So hot, she said, that airplanes(commercial, I assume) couldn't take off. The last time I was out there we went to Deer Valley "Breakfast Club" as guests of Ghery Petit. I was basically amazed that Deer Valley elevation was (something like) 6850msl(if I remember correctly). Amazed? Because back here at KIWI we lift off at about 70msl. So I flew up to Flagstaff with Warren McIlvoy in his avionics-loaded aircraft while he was delivering blood supply for the Red Cross. When we departed Flagstaff, or it might have been Sedona, I was concentrating on ALL the instruments which weren't in my C172L. Watching I was, when I commented, "Wow, it surely didn't take us long to get to 8000 feet." To which his reply was, "No, it doesn't; especially when you start at 7000 feet." Duh, on my part. Around here, we have to head over the mountains to read 8000 feet. I'm going to try and post a picture of my former Scottsdale house, if i can remember how to meander through the posting mechanics. There was no lawn to mow. Ma once said that she had 2 ton of crushed rock hauled in. I asked her who was to spread it; she said, "I did." She was about 75 years old at that time. The other picture? Warren, approaching Phoenix(not much grass there, either) after the trip to Flagstaff.
If your talking abut Deer Valley near Phoenix, the airport elevation is around 1400 or so. Sedona is only about 4800 something in elevation. Flagstaff is a little over 7000. With summer density altitude over 10,000 feet in FLG it is definitely worth checking the performance numbers once or twice. I think their selling point is something like, fuel up in Flagstaff and save a mile in altitude...

My house is at 6600 MSL. When I go fly in Alaska I'll be at 5500 MSL, or about 5300 AGL, I'll tell people we are still 1000 feet below my house in NM...:lol::lol:

Thank you for the correction re the airports' elevations. It's been since 2005 when I was there. When we were sitting on the elevated facility outside Deer Valley Airport I recall seeing the posted MSL figure and being "struck" by its comparison to back home in Maine where we're, along the coast, very near MSL. And I think it was Flagstaff(departure thereof) where, it turned out, we rotated at 7000, thus made 8000 in short order. Also relative to Flagstaff, when Warren was on the Approach he said, "Watch what happens when we land." While he taxied to the FBO, someone rolled out a red carpet, obviously in appreciation for the "blood run." Pretty classy. Once inside the FBO we were told to sign the Guest Book, and we did. Next to my name was a name I recognized from back in Maine. I said, "When was he here?" To which the reply was, "He just left here about 30 minutes ago." The significance was that the man had been the only service person on my plane for the 17 years BEFORE I bought it. He had just ferried a plane from Maine to Flagstaff; and I missed seeing him by 30 minutes. Small world! ALSO, while sitting outside Deer Valley and viewing the runway: There was a Cessna 150 on its takeoff roll, and roll, and roll. I said to Warren, "Is he ever going to rotate?" ""Oh, he will, when he gets enough speed. Look what he's facing." And, of course, YOU know what he was facing: Camel Back Mountains(?) directly on the nose? Picture, if I can find it, is Warren McIlvoy and my mother, at Scottsdale Airport. Ma's comment, later, was, "How about those legs? Not bad, for an 80 year old broad."

Attachments

• Scottsdale -  Warren McIlvoy & MOM.jpg
    Scottsdale - Warren McIlvoy & MOM.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 25
It's great to see you back. Sorry to hear about the flooding at your house. We're still in Olympia, not flying enough. Don't stay away so long.

Good to see you back!

122 degrees. I was there (Glendale) and remember it very well. July 4, 1989.

I didn't get the tee shirt though. :(

A severe water damage to my home in 2016 resulted in 5½ months of contractors in and out of the premises while my home insurance carrier had me living in a hotel for nearly three months. It royally fouled-up my flying activities. Some time ago I sold Skyhawk N7872G. Its new owner has progressed to CFI in both Land and Float, and is ATP. He also continues to be my photo pilot.

My prior website operator was purchased by a bigger company which, in a year or so, managed to takes its purchase "down the tubes." I knew it would take a while to sort, configure, and upload images from my many thousands of files to a new site, but the project is now in its beginning stages and is published on an Under Construction status. https://distinctiveviews.com. This "night owl" has his work cut out for him.

Was the hosting company HFW, by any chance?

Welcome back.

Rich

The original site was with Printroom; but I don't recall who took it over and proceeded to let it digress to nothing. I later registered with SMUG MUG, but only got as far as the Front Page because of personal delays during my damaged house and other delays. The new site isn't looking too bad, but will be time-consuming to upload mega images. Here's the latest entry. Well, it loads to 35% and hangs. ??? It can be seen as the latest entry on https://DistinctiveViews.com. It's an 11" x 16" Photo-Canvas; description is with the entry. South Harpswell, Maine (Over Route #123)

Back