Transition from PA28 to RV-10

RV10 has more useful load, more room in the cockpit and is faster than the Cirrus. Flys nicer too. My friend's does 180kts on about 12-13gph. Flap speed on all the RVs is 100-110mph. I have another friend with a clean RV10 with a Lycon built IO-540 and he gets 185-190kts on 15gph. Good solid airplane. You can't go wrong. You and your dad need to build one Carlen.

I wish haha...I’d love an RV14. I’ve put a lot of thought into the possibility of building one someday, but if I’m being honest with myself I don’t think it is something I’d ever finish. If I were to ever own a Vans I would have to do one of these builder assist shops if I had the intention of ever completing it. I’m many years from ever owning my own airplane though. I have a lot of other priorities at this point in my life (flight training being one of them). I’m afraid by the time I’m ready to own an airplane or co-own something nicer than the Cherokee, my dad will be too old. He’s said the same thing. Oh well. Such is life.

Actually, the Cirrus can land with zero ground roll in calm winds. Once.

Some of those have actually been repaired and back to flying again. :eek:

I'm not surprised it can be done, after seeing the full rebuilds of WWII planes. I'm just surprised it makes financial sense to do it.

I wish haha...I’d love an RV14. I’ve put a lot of thought into the possibility of building one someday, but if I’m being honest with myself I don’t think it is something I’d ever finish. If I were to ever own a Vans I would have to do one of these builder assist shops if I had the intention of ever completing it. I’m many years from ever owning my own airplane though. I have a lot of other priorities at this point in my life (flight training being one of them). I’m afraid by the time I’m ready to own an airplane or co-own something nicer than the Cherokee, my dad will be too old. He’s said the same thing. Oh well. Such is life.

My Dad is 91 and just quit flying a couple months ago. A retired dentist that worked up until 5 years ago so your Dad is just a spring chicken. Hell I just got my A&P 4 years ago at age 63. You're only as old as you act.

My Dad is 91 and just quit flying a couple months ago. A retired dentist that worked up until 5 years ago so your Dad is just a spring chicken. Hell I just got my A&P 4 years ago at age 63. You're only as old as you act.

My dad is 59 I think...I thought that was old :D

4 seat traveler, will probably fill the 4th seat 1% of the time, other times just junk to carry around with 2 upfront. For long XC, I could use some speed, lots of gizmo.... so ideally a cirrus, but ain’t no $$ for even a relatively new one. I priced out new enterior, panel and paint for my PA 28, just not worth putting so much in it at 120kts. Not worth to me at least. So essentially looking for something that I can putter around in and go places without breaking the bank so to speak and spread out the cost over 3-4 years so mostly it’s paid off.

If you're interested in a Mooney, I know of one for sale. Come on over to KBIS if you wanna check it out.

Bill Watson’s numbers are typical of mine too. Cruise 155-162 ktas @ 10-12 gph, 8500-12500’. Mine is built per Van’s plans. We still love it 6 years and 30 days since our first test flight. It was a two year “slow-build” with our two kids inserting rivets for Dad & Mom. Now that they are all grown up, no more trips with kids, unless I leave off some fuel and we ship bags. We sure had some fun vacations when they were younger! You won’t regret building a -10.

Bill Watson’s numbers are typical of mine too. Cruise 155-162 ktas @ 10-12 gph, 8500-12500’. Mine is built per Van’s plans. We still love it 6 years and 30 days since our first test flight. It was a two year “slow-build” with our two kids inserting rivets for Dad & Mom. Now that they are all grown up, no more trips with kids, unless I leave off some fuel and we ship bags. We sure had some fun vacations when they were younger! You won’t regret building a -10.

i wont call a 2 year slow build actually a slow build from what i have seen so far... you got a build log that i can ogle at? :d

If you're interested in a Mooney, I know of one for sale. Come on over to KBIS if you wanna check it out.
mooney might be 2 tight for me, or rather i might be too big for a mooney :D

this -10 is closer to 22 than the 20's. some says better, but i aint starting that thread

this -10 is closer to 22 than the 20's. some says better, but i aint starting that thread

Ha ha I don't blame you for not starting that thread.
I just threw it out there as you had mentioned 'ideally a Cirrus', and those were cheaper (I think) than a nicely equipped -10. Though they are a step down in performance, they aren't horribly so....are 4 seats, have a chute, and would save some money, as well as a lot of time building. (if you decided not to build).

Maybe I'm still trying to talk @iamtheari out of building ;)

mooney might be 2 tight for me, or rather i might be too big for a mooney :D
Come on over and find out for yourself. Or I can try to swing over to Fargo one of these days.

Come on over and find out for yourself. Or I can try to swing over to Fargo one of these days.
I am grounded for now, my pre-historic starter is threatening to quit :(. the Sky-Tec one is on its way...

Yep...talk about those sexy RV's and you see where that gets you with Kate.
i have a feeling you have something to do with this. :mad:.. she had know idea that I was looking at other exotic beauties

Yes, that’s not a ‘slow-build’ in my world. Took me 5 with all the ‘quick build’ options. But the build was squeezed in between fun Maule flying weekends and full time work out of my home office. Fabricating a ‘cantenna’ to extend my WiFi into the shop made a big difference.

But in the end, we both have ‘10s to fly!

Most of my flying is with 2 and a lot of luggage but we’ve done a a good bit of flying 4 around with luggage and find that it works better than I would have expected. The 180hp Maule could haul 4 around with a few bags but fuel had to be managed for CG as much as gross weight. Leading edge tanks would have fixed that but it has its fuel behind the spar.

All of the ‘10’s fuel is ahead of the spar (and the CG range) so there’s not penalty for the full 60 gallons.

Since it is experimental, max gross and CG is builder defined so to speak. Reality is that max gross effects performance but CG effects flyability. With that said, the ‘10 can haul a lot of weight and is reasonably tolerant with regard to loading. After doing some very careful calculations to insure I stay within Van’s CG limits I accidentally found a shorthand way to double check my calculations; if I put the 2 rear seat passengers in after loading the bags, and then my 115lb wife steps on the rear step to get in the front seat, we are fine if the plane stays on the nose wheel or if it very slowly starts to sit on the tail. If it immediately starts to sit on the tail, it’s time to rebalance the load.

Given that test, we tend to be volume limited rather than weight distribution limited. That’s pretty good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back