Garmin 430 training help

steviedeviant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StevieD
I search the forum for this and found some really old links regarding FAA training videos on the 430. I am VFR now and working on IFR training. I want to get more proficient with the 430 and using it during IFR flights. While my instructor will help, I need some additonal,repetitive training.

I used the King Schools for my written and see they have a video series, but $175 seems a little pricey. I came across this Russ Still site that was like $37 and then a couple of others for $20. Seems like a large discrepancy in prices for the training.

Anyway, could some of you with some additional training help me out with a few resources or should I just pull out the garmin manual and read it?!

I have the simulator, by the way, but I thought some videos or other training might help.

Thanks in advance.
SD

Last edited:
the 430 training simulator, available on garmins website

To be honest, the best way to learn is to use the darn thing. Every IPC instructor I have flown with has shown me something new. Flying with it VFR is a good way to experiment. During your IFR training you will do a lot of approach configurating. One thing you will learn is to rarely if ever to activate Vectors to Final, which can put you in a bind if ATC throws you a curve ball.

What I have done is made a list of common tasks I typically need to perform flying IFR and wrote a little cheat sheet for myself. Just writing everything down will help you remember how to do certain tasks, and divine some of the Garmin knobology logic.

I bOught the king course one. Thought it wouls be good as the IFR course. Was disappointed for the money. There is so much it can do that they don’t even get close to. Go up. Set the autopilot and play.

Have you checked YouTube?

I'm serious. If you are VFR level familiar with the 430, it's mostly about loading approaches, creating holds, dealing with ATC routing changes, and a few "gotchas."

There are some excellent ones out there. I recently used the FlyingLikeThePros G1000 series to refamiliarize myself after 5 years away. Edit: They have a series for the 430/530 too.

That method of self-instruction is not for everyone though. It requires a lot of curiosity to create your own, "I wonder if I can..." scenarios, and playing with the sim. Some of us require more structure.

But even with a course, there will be gaps. I've done a (very) few videos on specific functions and, while I thought them fairly basic, each of them was prompted by someone asking a question on a forum (one of the reasons some of them are pretty bare from an interest standpoint).

Last edited:
Thanks, Mark. Yes, I've had a 430 course online for quite a few years. It's a "checkout" course. That is, it is intended for first time users and has minimal coverage of IFR procedures. And yes, it definitely goes deeper than just the "Direct" button. The course requires Adobe Flash, cost is $37, and is available at www.GPS430.com.

thanks. I just updated my post and meant to say that I had the simulator, but was looking for more specific training.
Is it a 430 or 430W? Makes quite a difference.

Also, there is the trick to download the most recent trainer from the GTN series then "steal" its more recent nav database for your 430 trainer. You install the most recent trainer, find the file avtn_db.bin, move it to your 430 trainer file, and replace the old worldwide.bin with it. (Got to rename avtn_db.bin to worldwide.bin)

Then, you remove the more recent trainer from your machine.

Last edited:
I dont have enough posts to post a url, however if you go to youtube and search literally for 'Garmin GNS 430/530 NON WAAS Training' you will find an excellent video given by a Garmin instructor.

I dont have enough posts to post a url, however if you go to youtube and search literally for 'Garmin GNS 430/530 NON WAAS Training' you will find an excellent video given by a Garmin instructor.
Do we know the OP's 430 is non-WAAS?

Thanks, Mark. Yes, I've had a 430 course online for quite a few years. It's a "checkout" course. That is, it is intended for first time users and has minimal coverage of IFR procedures. And yes, it definitely goes deeper than just the "Direct" button. The course requires Adobe Flash, cost is $37, and is available at www.GPS430.com.

Thanks. I did come across the site and wasn’t sure how detailed it was. Appreciate the response.

Last edited:
What they said, YouTube and hands on are your best bet.

Also vectors to final is a very important tool if your CFII is experienced enough at how and when to use it.

Even if it is, that video contents is 99% relevant to both WAAS amd non WAAS units. The differences are trivial.
LPV, LP, and positive course guidance HILPTs are significant differences.

LPV, LP, and positive course guidance HILPTs are significant differences.
In terms of what you can do, yes.
In terms of how to go about doing it, no. The buttonology for loading an LP or LPV approach is exactly the same as any other approach.

I agree with his point (and the use of that video - it is very good). Getting around the box and the buttons is well over 90% of what one has to learn.

In terms of what you can do, yes.
In terms of how to go about doing it, no. The buttonology for loading an LP or LPV approach is exactly the same as any other approach.

I agree with his point (and the use of that video - it is very good). Getting around the box and the buttons is well over 90% of what one has to learn.

I would agree using both the video and the trainer. No small number of pilots have gotten "trapped" with a lack of understanding of button pushing unique to a PCG HILPT and more so a missed approach PCG hold. The trainer is invaluable.

Last edited:
Lots of good training stuff mentioned here, I'm sure. I have taught many 430 courses based on the Garmin sim. It is a great tool.

For a beginner self-study I'd suggest first sitting down with the manual and going through it page by page, doing with the simulator what is shown on the page. This won't teach you to fly with the thing so much as it will familiarize you with the various functions, buttons, and screens. Then you can pick out a training course and get its benefits without the distraction of tying to figure out the basic knobology.

The WORST plan is to try to learn it while flying.

The WORST plan is to try to learn it while flying.

My instructor is going through the garmin procedures, but it is hard to focus on that and fly under the hood at the same time.

I have the simulator and have used basic steps while flying VFR.
Most of the comments have been very helpful.

Thanks

Bill I couldn't get your link to work.
Is it this book? (I can see only the partial name)
this book?
Also, I have a 530W - I presume most of the info applies?

edit: I see one review suggests the book is old info. Maybe little has changed in these boxes however?

That’s the book. I found the 430/530w stuff to be current (they are old boxes). Info on current Garmin boxes may well be dated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also vectors to final is a very important tool if your CFII is experienced enough at how and when to use it.
Not sure what you mean by that.
I just completed IFR training in G1000 aircraft and NEVER loaded an approach as "vectors to final" transition. Apparently it is no longer a recommended procedure to load it this way. You pick a transition that best agrees with your route of flight and this is what you load even if you are expecting to be vectored.

I just completed IFR training in G1000 aircraft and NEVER loaded an approach as "vectors to final" transition. Apparently it is no longer a recommended procedure to load it this way. You pick a transition that best agrees with your route of flight and this is what you load even if you are expecting to be vectored.
Don't change. No reason to. And still reasons not to.

Have you checked YouTube?

I'm serious. If you are VFR level familiar with the 430, it's mostly about loading approaches, creating holds, dealing with ATC routing changes, and a few "gotchas."

There are some excellent ones out there. I recently used the FlyingLikeThePros G1000 series to refamiliarize myself after 5 years away. Edit: They have a series for the 430/530 too.

That method of self-instruction is not for everyone though. It requires a lot of curiosity to create your own, "I wonder if I can..." scenarios, and playing with the sim. Some of us require more structure.

But even with a course, there will be gaps. I've done a (very) few videos on specific functions and, while I thought them fairly basic, each of them was prompted by someone asking a question on a forum (one of the reasons some of them are pretty bare from an interest standpoint).
The flying like the pros videos are great!

I search the forum for this and found some really old links regarding FAA training videos on the 430. I am VFR now and working on IFR training. I want to get more proficient with the 430 and using it during IFR flights. While my instructor will help, I need some additonal,repetitive training.

I used the King Schools for my written and see they have a video series, but $175 seems a little pricey. I came across this Russ Still site that was like $37 and then a couple of others for $20. Seems like a large discrepancy in prices for the training.

Anyway, could some of you with some additional training help me out with a few resources or should I just pull out the garmin manual and read it?!

I have the simulator, by the way, but I thought some videos or other training might help.

Thanks in advance.
SD

If you want to fly to Austin, TX, I can spend two days with you and teach you all you need to know about the Garmin 430. Do you have WAAS?

txtopaviation.com

Yup, that's the way I've been taught too, load to an IAF and switch to VTF if that's what you are getting.

Back