Your guilty pleasure (food)

31sPQYNKGZL.SX200_SY262_CR,0,0,200,262_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SX200_SY262_CR,0,0,200,262_SH20_.jpg

Nauga,
who indulged this weekend

That looks awesome. Where in the Brazos Valley can I get those?

Andrea's Taco shop in Brenham. They are pretty awesome! All the food there is really good
The fries are:
Seasoned curley fries
Sour cream
Guacamole
Pico
Carne Asada meat
Cheese
I get extra cheese on mine
:)

LETTUCE.......in a 'guilty pleasure' thread.....whod'a thunk??!?

Oh yeah huh, Godwin's law of thread creep in action.

And the corollary: Entropy of Internet - all topics end up as burger threads.

Andrea's Taco shop in Brenham. They are pretty awesome! All the food there is really good
The fries are:
Seasoned curley fries
Sour cream
Guacamole
Pico
Carne Asada meat
Cheese
I get extra cheese on mine
:)
Thanks - I’ll have to check it out when I’m out that direction

View attachment 70293

I'll call that double double and raise you a protein style.
I know you do things like "exercise" so you get triples and quads, but for a mortal like me...are those burgers (say, the double) a 1/4 pound or 1/3 lb equivalent? Trying to get a sense of scale.

And, dang, that protein style looks good to me.

I'll buy fast food, but I really don't consider some of the fancier foods ya'll are throwing out to be "guilty pleasures"......more like just good meals.

My guilty pleasure........ramen from a package (yes I also love real ramen from a legitimate ramen place but that isn't the point of this thread). I feel like a college student when I'm in the store buying it, and I guess I feel like the same when I am scarfing it down for random breakfast/lunch while my wife rolls her eyes and says I am being terrible to my body. What can I say.....I love salt and MSG......I even pour out 95% of the water I cook it in so that the powder is that much stronger on the noodles. Yes I am a 35 year old man child. If you take away my ramen, my salsa and chips, or my bleu cheese snacks, I will have nothing left to live for :(

And a note on MSG, since it was the boogeyman about 10 years ago or so......it's literally processed kelp......super natural, duh

Last edited:
Maybe my earlier reply was a bit too hasty. My son and I can polish off a container of Chewy Chips Ahoy and a gallon of milk easy (I think 2 cookies are like a ridiculous amount of your daily allowance of saturated fat).

Dear gawd - if i ever get to the point where im discussing my favoriite food on an aviation forum i sincerely hope someone will shoot me...

My guilty pleasure........ramen from a package (yes I also love real ramen from a legitimate ramen place but that isn't the point of this thread). I feel like a college student when I'm in the store buying it, and I guess I feel like the same when I am scarfing it down for random breakfast/lunch while my wife rolls her eyes and says I am being terrible to my body. What can I say.....I love salt and MSG......I even pour out 95% of the water I cook it in so that the powder is that much stronger on the noodles. Yes I am a 35 year old man child. If you take away my ramen, my salsa and chips, or my bleu cheese snacks, I will have nothing left to live for :(

I'm with you. A common quick nasty meal for me: boil two packs of ramen noodles, throw in some frozen peas and some frozen pork dumplings. After boiling, toss it in a colander quickly to drain, back to the pot and stir in one of the seasoning packets (chicken). Stir, dump noodles/stuff on a plate. Scarf down with cheap american lager, done!

I know you do things like "exercise" so you get triples and quads, but for a mortal like me...are those burgers (say, the double) a 1/4 pound or 1/3 lb equivalent? Trying to get a sense of scale.

And, dang, that protein style looks good to me.

The double is roughly a 1/4 lb equivalent. Ordinarily for lunch I would get a half pound equivalent, usually one double quarter pound or single half pound lettuce wrapped burger, and if I'm burgering for dinner, I'll get two.

Pizza for breakfast lunch and dinner

Years ago I managed a pizza restaurant. I had pizza every day.... not the whole thing, usually a slice or 2 or 3 off the buffet. I never gained weight until I quit.

Fruitcake.
Not the crap they sell in stores, homemade fruitcake.
The kind that soaks in booze for a year before you eat it.
The kind I make every year.
:D

I'm with you. A common quick nasty meal for me: boil two packs of ramen noodles, throw in some frozen peas and some frozen pork dumplings. After boiling, toss it in a colander quickly to drain, back to the pot and stir in one of the seasoning packets (chicken). Stir, dump noodles/stuff on a plate. Scarf down with cheap american lager, done!

Nice! At work (when ashore), we have a little snack shop in our hangar that sells stuff to raise MWR funds. Anyway, cup o noodles is pretty well stocked most of the time, and I've been known to raid them for one or two prior to a long debrief. One of our sailors told me that the level 10 connoisseur method of eating is to also buy a couple slim jims, cut them into pieces, and cook together. Sounds like a night check maintenance delicacy to me :)

Fruitcake.
Not the crap they sell in stores, homemade fruitcake.
The kind that soaks in booze for a year before you eat it.
The kind I make every year.
Barf...lol.... You would of loved my Mom's fruitcake none of us ate at Christmas.

Unlimited quantities of both, gratefully. Because I have a friend with a boat (who doesn't know that they are expensive, and he's a pilot?!) and a wifey that also cannot function without M's.
45e5230c9ff4f1a18d6bb61818ad9ed3.jpg
bddf6d8f376d79c82d40b4649231af2c.jpg

Has anyone ever shared M&Ms that came in a "Sharing Size" Bag?

-Skip

I devoted an entire chapter of a book to fruitcake.

Dear gawd - if i ever get to the point where im discussing my favoriite food on an aviation forum i sincerely hope someone will shoot me...

Ya just did, but I ain’t gonna pull the trigger...

What better else you gots to do at 2am?

Fruitcake is something I’ve never liked. Some say it’s an acquired taste, but I think it’s nasty!

I, for one, welcome fruitcake.

Hate to say it, but I'm partial to it as well. Particularly the @Shepherd homemade booze soaked variety.

They called him Uncle Nagano. His apartment in the Chiba Prefecture had a great view of the water, overlooking downtown Tokyo. They say that ‘Aunt’ Migami tolerated his quirks, but she refused to go out of her way to help to facilitate them. But, an evening at the Nagano’s always held the promise of something different and special. Last time it was a bottle of 125 year old wine. The time before it was pickled sheep’s eyeballs purported to have come from 15th century Egypt. In any case, it had to be old, weird, expensive, and palatability was not a criteria.

The men toasted each other with sake as the women helped Migami in the kitchen. The children peered at the strange looking object in the center of the table.

“What is it, Uncle?” A little girl asked. The men seemed somewhat disinterested in the artifact.

“That,” Nagano said, “Is a piece of American history. It very possibly saw the civil rights marches organized by Doctor Martin Luther King. It may have seen the Mafia executions in Chicago. It might have even been present at former American President Lincoln’s inauguration.”

The response was a little bit over the heads of the children. Their knowledge of the United States’ history was minimal at best. But the men seemed to be now intrigued. “Please explain,” Izumo requested as he poured a round of hot sake.

It was curious looking. It was some sort of ancient, petrified, mummified, cake-like object, formed in to a squared off toroidal shape, much like pound cake but with atypical ingredients and texture. If one were to bake a cake and let it sit for decades, that is what it would look like.

Nagano made a toast and took a shot before speaking. “You see, it is tradition in America to bake cakes, and give them as gifts during times of holiday. But not all Americans like this form of cake, so, it was often repackaged, and re-gifted during the next period of holiday. The older it got, the less desirable it became, and the more it got passed on.”

“I don’t understand” Izumo said. “If they do not like the cake, why do they not just throw it in the trash?”

“Who knows? Perhaps to save money on a new gift? Perhaps they knew that the cake would be discarded or re-gifted anyway, so why waste effort to make a new one? American culture can be difficult to understand. There are entire university degrees dedicated to the subject. Even studied, doctorate level professors are confounded.”

“So, what are we going to do with this… ancient item?”

“We are going to cut it up and eat it.”

The children gasped. The men, hopped up on sake, made a toast. It would be like eating a piece of history. As Nagano cut in to the stale, mummified mass of various fruits and nuts, bound by some sort of dark fibrous mass, he felt a little bit guilty. This is the last one, there would be no more shipped from America. It was like he was destroying a museum piece. “I paid two hundred and fifty United States Dollars for this specimen,” he said, “So you must enjoy it, and appreciate it.”

If you’re ever in Lafayette and want to eat there, give me a shout.
My coworkers there have a favorite thing. Go on Friday for lunch and text me pictures. It’s been a few years since I was in town. I did my long XC solo there and we got Smokehouse before I went off to my other stops.

Back