Drones shut down airport

Thousands of people stranded and inconvenienced because some idiot wants YouTube hits...

Sounds like they hyped it up a little extra and made a spectacular event over it, which makes sense seeing the unrest over the current government in the UK, kinda like when Ralph on the simpsons spotlights himself

1-E6-D4-BBD-3255-4-C46-B51-E-FA134-EAE5-C45.jpg

Did they make a buzzing sound? :eek2:

As long as it stays at Gatwick. Flying into Heathrow on saturday.

Was only a matter of time,before someone with a drone or two ,could reak havoc.

Sounds like they hyped it up a little extra and made a spectacular event over it, which makes sense seeing the unrest over the current government in the UK...

Usually they just start a war over some rock outcrop or outpost nation. Falklands, Libya, Grenada, that sort of thing.

Thatcher would probably have invaded the Belgian headquarters of Juncker's European Commission and got this Brexit thing done by now...

The good news is they arrested a man and a woman today for flying those drones. The bad news is they only face up to 5 yrs!

Another drone could have easily taken this idiot out. They're not hard to fly. Detection aside you don't need anything high tech. You can send something much smaller in and kamikaze it in.

Another drone could have easily taken this idiot out. They're not hard to fly. Detection aside you don't need anything high tech. You can send something much smaller in and kamikaze it in.

You mean like what they tried to do with Maduro?

That still needs a bit of practice and coordination to pull off. This was with DJI M600 variants, which presumably is hefty enough to trash an airliner turbofan.

You mean like what they tried to do with Maduro?

As poorly as that went, I wondered if that was an inside job to make it appear that someone wanted to kill him, but with the real intent of just making it look like someone was trying to assassinate him. One of those neato tricks to build public support.

As poorly as that went, I wondered if that was an inside job to make it appear that someone wanted to kill him, but with the real intent of just making it look like someone was trying to assassinate him. One of those neato tricks to build public support.

I feel for the half dozen scapegoats who got strung up for it while innocent, if your pet theory is correct. At any rate, my only point was to highlight that people with the intent and opportunity could indeed take out an airliner by the use of commercially available drones. These things are getting pretty hefty.

The good news is they arrested a man and a woman today for flying those drones. The bad news is they only face up to 5 yrs!
Eco-warriors, determined to save the planet from the CO2 created by those evil airplanes...
I wish I was kidding.

Either not enough evidence for the ones they caught, or the caught innocent people.

Sounds like they caught innocent people. The guy has witnesses to account for his whereabouts and actions. He’s an RC hobbyist who happens to live nearby, so naturally they raided his home and incarcerated him and his wife for 36 hours.

They’ve deployed a 15 million pound Israeli anti-drone system for a problem that could be solved with a $200 pump shotgun.

Eco-warriors, determined to save the planet from the CO2 created by those evil airplanes...
I wish I was kidding.

Was that a reference to the now released, and apparently innocent couple that were arrested? Curious where your info is (was) coming from.

Was that a reference to the now released, and apparently innocent couple that were arrested? Curious where your info is (was) coming from.
FWIW, I saw that headline too although I forget where. I haven't seen it since.

FWIW, I saw that headline too although I forget where. I haven't seen it since.

Well with any good drama you need a good ending

But on the very bottom of the article

“Earlier on Saturday, it was announced a man and woman arrested over the Gatwick Airport drone chaos were released without charge.”

But accountability is very important when it comes to their subjects rights, they did investigate themselves and....

"I'm completely satisfied the arrests were lawful, bearing in mind the burden of proof and likely suspicion at the time of arrest,"

And....

Mr Tingley continued: "I won't apologise...”

Yeah, I’m sticking to my theory on this one

Well with any good drama you need a good ending

But on the very bottom of the article

“Earlier on Saturday, it was announced a man and woman arrested over the Gatwick Airport drone chaos were released without charge.”

But accountability is very important when it comes to their subjects rights, they did investigate themselves and....

"I'm completely satisfied the arrests were lawful, bearing in mind the burden of proof and likely suspicion at the time of arrest,"

And....

Mr Tingley continued: "I won't apologise...”

Yeah, I’m sticking to my theory on this one
I don't know the laws within the UK, but they need not follow what we consider lawful or correct. Not saying you're wrong about how it was handled.

Oh I'm not doubting it was out there, I'm just curious where the reporting was from... To no particular end, just curious.
So was I. Since they have no suspects now, I was curious about the politics behind those headlines too.

CNN is now reporting that there may never have been a drone to begin with.

Nothing like an overreaction to a non-event.

Although I admit, if there had been a drone and it took out a 777 and it landed on a school bus full of nuns and orphans it would be bad. So I guess it's good to arrest someone "out of an abundance of caution". Probably need to pass some new laws too.

CNN is now reporting that there may never have been a drone to begin with.

Nothing like an overreaction to a non-event.

Although I admit, if there had been a drone and it took out a 777 and it landed on a school bus full of nuns and orphans it would be bad. So I guess it's good to arrest someone "out of an abundance of caution". Probably need to pass some new laws too.
The solution is confiscation

“Turn in your drone and save a life”

Oh man, it’s the gift that keeps giving, or reaffirming that we need to be weary of government that comes in very quick and heavy handed to “save the day”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/...WYY6F28FkvdpmVOvJlvdL_yHyNJXpTuyMqeysP-3yE2Gc

"confusion" caused by his force launching its own drones in the hunt for the rogue craft.”

Of course, we will have launched our own Sussex Police drones at the time with a view to investigate, with a view to engage, with a view to survey the area looking for the drone, so there could be some level of confusion there."

So even though they have zero evidence there was a evil drone, they did hold up thousands of people, cost millions of dollars, violate the rights of a elderly couple who had nothing to do with it, and are now using this example of their incompetence and security theater to spend EVEN MORE MONEY to install military tech to further spy on civilians.

Mr York confirmed military technology had been installed at Gatwick following last week's incident, "dramatically" improving security at the airport.”

fail squared

Oh man, it’s the gift that keeps giving, or reaffirming that we need to be weary of government that comes in very quick and heavy handed to “save the day”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/...WYY6F28FkvdpmVOvJlvdL_yHyNJXpTuyMqeysP-3yE2Gc

"confusion" caused by his force launching its own drones in the hunt for the rogue craft.”

Of course, we will have launched our own Sussex Police drones at the time with a view to investigate, with a view to engage, with a view to survey the area looking for the drone, so there could be some level of confusion there."

So even though they have zero evidence there was a evil drone, they did hold up thousands of people, cost millions of dollars, violate the rights of a elderly couple who had nothing to do with it, and are now using this example of their incompetence and security theater to spend EVEN MORE MONEY to install military tech to further spy on civilians.

Mr York confirmed military technology had been installed at Gatwick following last week's incident, "dramatically" improving security at the airport.”

fail squared
Is there evidence of drone activity at the airport before the police launched theirs? I would want to know the answer to that question before coming to any conclusions.

Is there evidence of drone activity at the airport before the police launched theirs? I would want to know the answer to that question before coming to any conclusions.

To unnamed witnesses, but zero hard evidence of any drones...aside from the government drones

Back