Hello

RastaManCan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RastaManCan
Well, the message makes it clear to introduce myself. My name is Mr. Ashley Tower and I live in Sandy, Utah. I am not a pilot yet. However I do know a couple of pilots and I caught the bug over the last few weeks. I'm hoping to learn a lot here. I have been looking for a forum on and off for the last few days. This might be the place except for that horribly annoying message above. I understand why it's there and I hope to contribute and get rid of it. So thx for posting and teaching me. Cheers :)

The Rastaman can because he rolls it in a spliff and makes the world feel good?

So what's your plan!
So got some flight sims going, gonna start reading forums and watching vids, scope out the airports and find the local flight clubs, start planning for flight school. Take a couple of discovery flight. Lots of ideas. The thing that I have enjoyed right away was figuring out what some of the jargon meant. I'd watch vids and hear the same terminology several time and it drove me nuts. What's that mean! That's actually how I found this forum. So it's nice relaxing and it's educating reading. I've figured out that I need a substantial income to support a hobby like this so I've gotta step up the side game. Thx

@RastaManCan, thanks for responding!

The very first thing you will see when people inquire about learning to fly: Your medical!

DO NOT ASSUME that the 3rd class medical will be a give me. I would first search this forum regarding medicals. Read a few threads. You will see that some people really get hung up on prior alcohol, drugs, psych stuff, etc. So take the medical seriously but at the same time, get it over with and behind you. You don't really have to study a single thing and you will have accomplished a critical first step. I'm not trying to talk you out of a discovery flight or studying, rather...bump this medical thing higher up on your list of to-do's. Actually, before you submit anything or go in for the medical, come back and ask a few questions to be sure you are on the right track.

I love watching the YouTube videos when its too crappy to fly. A few of the members here have cool YouTube channels.

I am not a sim guy so I can't give a perspective from both sides (actual vs sim). I have a hunch it could help you learn radio jargon if the sim is live with controllers talking. I know it can also help with Instrument Rating practice. However, I do not believe it is a valid substitute for the Private Pilot training and flying.

There will be smells, heat, sounds, vibrations of the plane, the feel of true forces on the yoke and pedals that will not be possible in a simulator. I know 2 people that are serious into simulators but never crossed over into flying. They talk like pilots. One I took up. After takeoff from a Delta under a Bravo and a transition through a busy Bravo he was like: "Holy ****, I had no idea what it was really like!" He recognized some of the jargon but his first question afterwards was: "How the hell do you do all that by yourself?" So get out and fly. Sounds like you'll love it. And yes, its not cheap so budgeting is very wise...after the medical is behind you :)

Well, that's an awesome bit of advice. I am not very familiar with sims, I just bought X-Plane and have hardly used it. However I am an P2 rated paraglider pilot with 80 flights and I did that because I didn't know that flying real planes could be within my grasp. So hopefully that's enough not to get kicked. I was in watching Youtube video's and that's exactly how this all happened. Check out 310 Pilot on Youtube. If this is a bug my entire family has it now. I'm so excited all the time. I have ridden in a smaller Cessna's but I occasionally get to fly in our company jet. It's a 2010 CESSNA 560XL. That's crazy cool! I will absolutely get on the medical first of the year. Thx for the great welcome and advice.

Attachments

• 41552543_10214276070468555_7734469658887061504_o.jpg
    41552543_10214276070468555_7734469658887061504_o.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 41570491_10214275911504581_280089231282405376_n.jpg
    41570491_10214275911504581_280089231282405376_n.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 11
Back