150 or PA28 140/160 for returning pilot

Scott Miller

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Miller Time
Hi all. First post for me but have been lurking for a while. I am in the process of returning to GA after a 18 year break (raising daughters). At the time I left I had accumulated roughly 120 hours split between a 172 and an Archer. To get back current again and build some time/skills I have the option to join a couple of different clubs. One has a 150 available and the other has a Cherokee 140/160 available. Both are within a couple of $$ per hour to rent. I am 6'2 and roughly 210lbs. Any guidance on which route might be the better route to go?

Thanks!!

You won’t be able to fly with many other people in the 150 at your size/weight. My wife and I can fly in our 150 with full fuel and still be about 50 lbs under gross. She’s tiny and I’m not exactly a large individual, so the 150 is perfect for us. I think you’ll get tired of flying alone or with small kids and partial fuel. (Most 150s end up with about ~330 lbs useable load after full fuel. Just an approximation.). It pains me to not recommend a 150. :)

You won’t be able to fly with many other people in the 150 at your size/weight. My wife and I can fly in our 150 with full fuel and still be about 50 lbs under gross. She’s tiny and I’m not exactly a large individual, so the 150 is perfect for us. I think you’ll get tired of flying alone or with small kids and partial fuel. (Most 150s end up with about ~330 lbs useable load after full fuel. Just an approximation.). It pains me to not recommend a 150. :)

Thanks for the response! I am intending to just get back current and spending the next year or so building my skills as economically as possible. At that point I will move on to something with more carrying capacity so that I can carry others.

Thanks for the response! I am intending to just get back current and spending the next year or so building my skills as economically as possible. At that point I will move on to something with more carrying capacity so that I can carry others.

In that case I cannot endorse the 150 strongly enough! I absolutely LOVE mine and find it fun to fly. It's responsive and sporty compared to a 172 (in the same way that scooter is more sporty and responsive than a minivan!) and extremely economical to fly and maintain, insure, and operate. Not a lot of choices for locations to mount iPads and stuff (yoke mount, right side) but plenty of room for giant grins and lots of fun! High wing, great views of the ground below and around you. Being 6'2" I would recommend wearing a hat for preflights, because you're gonna rap your noggin on the trailing edge of the wing. More than once.

And there are some 150s that are more fun than others!

I got a ride in one years ago and my 6'3" self fit just fine.

aerobat.jpg

The Cerokee. That way you can take more than one pax once you are current again.

In that case I cannot endorse the 150 strongly enough! I absolutely LOVE mine and find it fun to fly. It's responsive and sporty compared to a 172 (in the same way that scooter is more sporty and responsive than a minivan!) and extremely economical to fly and maintain, insure, and operate. Not a lot of choices for locations to mount iPads and stuff (yoke mount, right side) but plenty of room for giant grins and lots of fun! High wing, great views of the ground below and around you. Being 6'2" I would recommend wearing a hat for preflights, because you're gonna rap your noggin on the trailing edge of the wing. More than once.

LOL. I did that a number of times with the 172 I trained in. It appears that the club will give me access to a couple of 172s as well so I could use those when I need to carry more pax. Right now I am solely focused on getting current and building some time/experience. Thanks so much for the feedback!

Piper wing spar AD came out this past week, see AVweb article. (I cant post link cause i'm new).

Also, looking at C150's on Barnstormers, there are some great deals right now well under $20k. I shopped 150's last year and found plenty of low time, 200-600 smoh, for between $11 - 18k (use as search criteria on BS). I ended up with a great xc plane with long range tanks 500smoh and standard panel for $17k, the paint is a little tired, but it's a great airplane to park on the line. My first annual was $1200, prebuy was $200, I'll end up putting the uavionix skybeacon on it later this year. I had another great 150 essentially purchased in January for $13k, it had 300smoh and also had a standard panel ILS etc, I canceled the purchase after a successful prebuy inspection as my home's septic tank failed and needed to be replaced. Send me a message if you want any tips for purchasing the 150. Also the 150-152 club online is pretty awesome.

Back