I love my thermoworks thermopen. I've got two of them now. Handy for all kinds of things.

Yea, I know. You will want to pull my "man card" because I do not own a grill or smoker. Rarely cook meat other than hamburger or pork chops.
Pork chops is actually one of the more challenging pieces of meat to cook, I think. The line between flavorless undercooked lump of flesh and hockey puck is comparatively thin.

Pork chops is actually one of the more challenging pieces of meat to cook, I think. The line between flavorless undercooked lump of flesh and hockey puck is comparatively thin.
Chops I'd definitely sous vide. Other pork may go with a slower cook method (smoking or braising).

Yea, I know. You will want to pull my "man card" because I do not own a grill or smoker. Rarely cook meat other than hamburger or pork chops.
Pork chops - the thicker the better, too many times pork chops are cut too thin and cook too fast so they get overcooked.

I like them on the thick side. If I cook them indoors, I'll dredge them in seasoned flour (flour with seasoned salt and black pepper), then pan fry them in a little olive oil and butter. They don't take long, I aim for 135 in the pan and 145 after they've rested. They'll be a nice rosy color in the middle. There are some really quick and easy recipes for making a cream sauce from the drippings, and if you add some sauteed mushrooms it's really good. If I do that, I'll cook the mushrooms first, then the chops, then make the sauce after I pull the pork chops. Only takes one pan that way.

Get a whole pork loin for < $2/lb and cut it into various thicknesses of loin chops. It's a cheap way to get a lot of boneless loin and sirloin chops. But sometimes the bone-in can have better flavor.

I've done burgers on a George Foreman grill. Sometimes you have to work with what you got. I don't do that very often unless there's just no other option, the trick is to make sure that grill has had a good long preheat and then season the burgers with salt and pepper or some sort of steak rub.

I haven't tried pork chops on the GF grill, I might do that some day and see how it works.

I grilled elk tenderloin medallions last night ... too tired and too hungry to take pictures. Unless you want pictures of the tenderloin still on the hoof?

Get a whole pork loin for < $2/lb and cut it into various thicknesses of loin chops. It's a cheap way to get a lot of boneless loin and sirloin chops. But sometimes the bone-in can have better flavor.

I prefer a roulade when dealing with whole loin.

I prefer a roulade when dealing with whole loin.
That's really good. I've done that with an italian sausage stuffing a couple times. I need to try something else now.

If I get a whole loin (7-10 lb) I'll either smoke the whole thing or cut it up into chops. Some of the chops will be thick, some will be double-thick for stuffing, and some will be 1/2 thickness for pounding flat and making pork tenderloin sandwiches. Sometimes I'll leave the center section whole and use that as a small roast for other recipes.

Pork chops - the thicker the better, too many times pork chops are cut too thin and cook too fast so they get overcooked.

I like them on the thick side. If I cook them indoors, I'll dredge them in seasoned flour (flour with seasoned salt and black pepper), then pan fry them in a little olive oil and butter. They don't take long, I aim for 135 in the pan and 145 after they've rested. They'll be a nice rosy color in the middle. There are some really quick and easy recipes for making a cream sauce from the drippings, and if you add some sauteed mushrooms it's really good. If I do that, I'll cook the mushrooms first, then the chops, then make the sauce after I pull the pork chops. Only takes one pan that way.

I've done burgers on a George Foreman grill. Sometimes you have to work with what you got. I don't do that very often unless there's just no other option, the trick is to make sure that grill has had a good long preheat and then season the burgers with salt and pepper or some sort of steak rub.

I haven't tried pork chops on the GF grill, I might do that some day and see how it works.

Agreed, I'll pass on the thin pork chops, and I cut up loins as well.

Tonight's mission: NY strip and chicken. Situation: The two strips are close to 2 lbs each. I'm thinking to a: de-bone them, grill them then slice them, or b: grill them, then de-bone them and slice them. B: wastes less meat although I guess I can throw the bones on the grill.

O, M, and G.

Those strips look like trimmed down porterhouses. The porterhouse is generally a t-bone with the large end of the tenderloin attached. The tenderloin part of the T was trimmed off on yours.

My favorite steak rub these days:

24dda6_47295ec01a5649ccbfecc582f344b586.jpg

And my goto horseradish cream sauce for prime rib:

Beat until stiff:
1/2 cup chilled heavy cream

Gradually add, beating constantly:
3 TBS fresh lemon juice or cider vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
2 TBS grated horseradish or drained prepared white horseradish (I use the hottest prepared horseradish I can find)
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of ground red pepper

--

It needs to rest in the fridge for at least a few hours so the flavors blend.

Since the above recipe calls for 1/2 cup heavy cream, and I can only get it in 1/2 pint cartons (1/2 pint = 1 cup), I make a double batch. No one complains.

Tonight's mission: NY strip and chicken. Situation: The two strips are close to 2 lbs each. I'm thinking to a: de-bone them, grill them then slice them, or b: grill them, then de-bone them and slice them. B: wastes less meat although I guess I can throw the bones on the grill.
Probably too late, but I vote B. If you have to do 2-level cooking on the charcoal Weber then the bones help insulate against the hot side of the grill.

Also them bones make good stock for pho.

Those strips look like trimmed down porterhouses. The porterhouse is generally a t-bone with the large end of the tenderloin attached. The tenderloin part of the T was trimmed off on yours.

I wonder how much more money the butcher made by splitting the porterhouse?

I wonder how much more money the butcher made by splitting the porterhouse?

Maybe not much.

Around most parts the tenderloin and strip loin are removed from the backbone. The loin is cut into KC strip steaks (NY strip for you heathens).

or

the whole package is cut into t-bones or porterhouse steaks (depends on which end of the loin it comes from).

In Sac's case, my guess is the tenderloin was sold whole or as filets, as usual, and the strip was just sold bone-in for a few cents/lb less than a normal boneless strip steak. Remove the tenderloin, run the loin through the saw to knock off the short end of the T, turn it sideways and saw into steaks. It would save some time.

I was able talk my meat guy into taking his thumb off the scale and he sold me an 11 pounder for the price of a 10.

my rub recipe:

3-4 Tbs black pepper
1 Tbs kosher or sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp sugar

Meat:

Preheat to 450
Cook at 450 for 10 min
Set oven to 250
Wait
How long would you say a 5 lb rib roast would need to cook?

How long would you say a 5 lb rib roast would need to cook?

Depends on whether it's a big end or a small end cut (the small end cut will cook faster) and the method you choose but I would allocate two hours and monitor the meat thermometer.

I've read recipes that would have you sear for 20 minutes at 450 and reduce to 325, and it reduces the cooking time even. Thoughts?
I sear at 450 then reduce it way down. Seems to work wonders.. especially if you coast it first with a healthy layer of finely minced garlic and course salt.. all that garlic roasts right on

My sister pan sears the f*ck out of it first in a cast iron griddle.. THEN puts it on to roast at around 325.. that seems to work very well for her too

Depends on whether it's a big end or a small end cut (the small end cut will cook faster) and the method you choose but I would allocate two hours and monitor the meat thermometer.
Thanks, it's the first one I've ever cooked, so I don't know which cut I've got.

Ok, have the meat in hand. But...

Wife asked, “What do you plane to do with the leftovers?” I didn’t have an answer. Can you reheat it like the turkey from Thanksgiving? It doesn’t seem like that would work very well. With extra steak we will often do a stir fry but it seems a shame to do that with Prime Rib.

Thanks, it's the first one I've ever cooked, so I don't know which cut I've got.
What cooking temp?

I usually start at 450 for 10 min, then reset to 250 until done. The guide I use says 15-30 min a pound.

A higher cooking temp might take 15-20 min/lb.

I always end up taking longer because my garage fridge is so cold the meat doesn't warm up very much when I set it on the counter before it goes into the oven.

Use a good thermometer with a timer. Mine is wireless so I can monitor from in front of the tv. Pull it from the oven 5 deg less than your target temp.

Last edited:
Ok, have the meat in hand. But...

Wife asked, “What do you plane to do with the leftovers?” I didn’t have an answer. Can you reheat it like the turkey from Thanksgiving? It doesn’t seem like that would work very well. With extra steak we will often do a stir fry but it seems a shame to do that with Prime Rib.
Dude.

If you have enough to cut into steaks, toss them directly into a hot skillet to get a nice crust and warm them through. The meat has enough marbling you don't need any oil.

Sliced thin, it makes great sandwiches.

Or slice thin and stir fry with sliced onions for a Philly-style hot sandwich.

Round #2 is tomorrow. I've secured a 6 lb prime rib, and plan on 450 for 20 minutes and finish at 250 until hitting 110 internal. Maybe slightly higher to placate those that need placation. I've already salted and peppered it.

What cooking temp?

I usually start at 450 for 10 min, then reset to 250 until done. The guide I use says 15-30 min a pound.

A higher cooking temp might take 15-20 min/lb.

I always end up taking longer because my garage fridge is so cold the meat doesn't warm up very much when I set it on the counter before it goes into the oven.

Use a good thermometer with a timer. Mine is wireless so I can monitor from in front of the tv. Pull it from the oven 5 deg less than your target temp.
I ended up grilling it at 250 until 110°, then 400 until 135. 135 is too high, I'll take it out sooner next time. It was more medium, not medium rare.

I did use your rub, and it was very good. My wife and mother-in-law really liked the rub, as well.

I ended up grilling it at 250 until 110°, then 400 until 135. 135 is too high, I'll take it out sooner next time. It was more medium, not medium rare.

I did use your rub, and it was very good. My wife and mother-in-law really liked the rub, as well.
I try for 130-135 for med rare, so I'll pull it off about 125-130. You did pretty good. Did you use charcoal or gas? I like adding water soaked wood chunks in a foil pack to add smoke flavor if I use gas.

Glad you liked the rub.

I try for 130-135 for med rare, so I'll pull it off about 125-130. You did pretty good. Did you use charcoal or gas? I like adding water soaked wood chunks in a foil pack to add smoke flavor if I use gas.

Glad you liked the rub.

you just stick the foil pack on the grate? or do you put it underneath, closer to the flame? I haven't done big meat on the grill might be a fun experiment

you just stick the foil pack on the grate? or do you put it underneath, closer to the flame? I haven't done big meat on the grill might be a fun experiment
Lift the grate, set it on, near, or next to the burner. My Weber has "flavorizor" deals that are above the flame and act as diffusers or deflectors. Not sure what you have.

I like chunks vs chips, they seem to smolder better.

Make a small tray of double or triple thick foil. Soak a couple chunks of wood (apple, cherry, hickory, oak, mesquite, whatever you want), then put it in that tray, preheat and cook.

The tray might last a couple of uses, just reload the wood. When the foil gets too beat up, toss it and make another.

Or you can make a loose ball of foil and poke holes in it.

You can get a thing called a smoke box that will be cast iron or stainless.

Try it for everything you cook on that grill.

Glad you liked the rub.
Gas, I have a Weber Genesis. It does pretty well for smoking meat, though I'm sure it doesn't do as well as a good smoker. Today was sort of a last-minute decision, and I was kind of rushed. I'll try the smoke next time.

Gas, I have a Weber Genesis. It does pretty well for smoking meat, though I'm sure it doesn't do as well as a good smoker. Today was sort of a last-minute decision, and I was kind of rushed. I'll try the smoke next time.
Sounds like it did well enough!

I used to do the high heat first sear method than cool the oven temp down... I found that I consistently was getting more rare in the center and well on the outer rims. What I do now is just set it for 275, put it in and let it cook the whole way at that temp. Doing it like this gives me a consistent color throughout the whole roast. It is also key to let the roast warm up to almost room temp outside the fridge for a few hours before you throw it in the oven. Also to hell with all those fancy rubs and seasonings. I only use salt.

....It is also key to let the roast warm up to almost room temp outside the fridge for a few hours before you throw it in the oven....
Me being in a rush yesterday, I did not do that. The temp probe was reading 41 degrees when I put it on the grill. I will plan ahead and allow for that next time.

Back