Citation 560 down at FTY

Damn. One of the victims was Wei Chen, a Chinese American from Memphis TN who flew around the world in 2011 becoming the first Chinese to do so.

Damn. One of the victims was Wei Chen, a Chinese American from Memphis TN who flew around the world in 2011 becoming the first Chinese to do so.

Sounds like Chen was the owner pilot and he may have been pretty inexperienced with SP ops in a plane that fast. Pure speculation but probably just got behind the plane trying to execute a low ceiling departure procedure.

Sounds like Chen was the owner pilot and he may have been pretty inexperienced with SP ops in a plane that fast.
Chen also owned and flew a TBM 700 (this is the plane he flew around the world) and an L-39. And while I can't guarantee he was SP in the accident airplane every time it flew, it did fly A LOT, and recently. So proficiency doesn't really jump up as a red flag here.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N188CW/history

I don't know the weather conditions, but "black hole" and "white hole" crashes, even among experienced jet pilots, aren't rare. (In one in Cleveland, it's believe that the pilot didn't engage the AP, and the plane happily went into the lake.)

Chen also owned and flew a TBM 700 (this is the plane he flew around the world) and an L-39. And while I can't guarantee he was SP in the accident airplane every time it flew, it did fly A LOT, and recently. So proficiency doesn't really jump up as a red flag here.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N188CW/history

On another board it was mentioned he was very recently SP in the plane. I know nothing about jets like this but those on that board suggested that the particular citation he was flying is fast. Really fast and can get away from you in a hurry. A few with lots of hours in type suggested they’d not do that departure SP.

Could be some misinformation in there somewhere because I’m just getting this info from another discussion.

I’m sure he was capable of doing the departure but we all know how one mistake can start a domino effect. Pure speculation at this point but right now seems the most plausible explanation.

I know nothing about jets like this but those on that board suggested that the particular citation he was flying is fast. Really fast and can get away from you in a hurry.
I would imagine that’s a big reason they have the SP exemption for the 560.

Would it really be any faster and more to handle than any of the other Citation models in that regard when compared to a Mustang or CJ1?

I would imagine that’s a big reason they have the SP exemption for the 560.

Would it really be any faster and more to handle than any of the other Citation models in that regard when compared to a Mustang or CJ1?

I have never flown a 560, but have 700 hours in a 551 all but the first 25 SP, one go/go no item is the autopilot has to be tested on the ground and functioning normally for SP operations. It would have been a very low ceiling takeoff, I would imagine he would do the standard, wheels up, flaps up, autopilot engaged departure that we practiced in the sim. IF the turn wheel on the face of the autopilot wasn't centered the autopilot would not engage, don't ask how I know, he could have thought George was flying and he wasn't. We may never know, but it sure hits close to home, actually about 8 miles from work! But, it's all speculation at this point.

Back