Restarting The Search

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Also posted on the PB forum

Mary and I are still in the healing process and I’m getting around with the help
of a cane. Mary is doing very well despite a week long migraine this week.

I finally decided to settle up with the insurance company for the Debs hull value now that the engine inspection is complete. I am still waiting on the final report to be released, but at least I have the picture/narrative in hand. More on this to follow.

I started looking for the next plane, IF we decide to go there. Lately I’ve had the itch to fly so plane shopping helps. The potential next plane will be a low wing, two door, with a useful load of at least 1000lb.

Checking out the Cirrus SR20 but the chute repack thing is costly and seating not easy to remove for our dog. They are expensive to maintain too.

I like the Sierras but 130 kts and most need avionics upgrades and gear donuts. The Beech is still in the running due to familiar systems and the best type club support.

The last plane I have been looking into is the Commander 114A or B. Two doors, very roomy, lycoming powered and as fast as the Deb. I love the look and joined the owners group for more info.

So, the search is starting and I’m really wanting to fly again. One step at a time in the get back in the air process.

Merry Christmas !

I love the look of those Commanders, and would love to own one, but I could never afford one, short of winning the lottery!

Good luck with the search. And glad you are mending!

Want a hell of an aircraft that will be a whole lot more fun..

the reason this is selling for 125,000 is because it is out of annual. you'd have to have two ferry permits, and a Canadian certificate to bring it down.

normally they sell for between 250 / 500k

Last edited:
Two doors would be an easier find you were open to high wings. As my extended loved ones reach an age where mobility becomes ever more compromised, I am personally gravitating to not only two doors, but high wings, if double doors are not available otherwise. I've been a low wing guy so far, but the ingress of the high wing is absolutely superior, and I say that as an Arrow owner mind you.

Check out the Socata TB-20 variants as well, it's a middle ground between the 150kts of the Deb/Bo and the 130kts of the Sierra (I don't even think they go that fast when loaded or in the winter to be honest).

The commander 112s are underpowered imo. I checked the cylinder prices on the TO-360 engine for the TC variant. Yikes. Talk about orphaned Unobtanium. So 112TC would def be out for me. NA 114 would be the go to, if your budget can afford it.

Glad y’all are continuing to heal, enjoyed our talk. Searching is sometimes more fun than catching so take your time and have fun with it. I too am looking and taking my own advice. I had no physical healing and was back in the air within weeks to complete the IR and now have another 40hrs, 10+ in actual and enjoying the utility it brings. Take your time, go at your own pace and enjoy every day.

PS Call me and I’ll tell you about another eye opener I had in early October.

Gary, I’m glad you and Mary are on the road to recovery and I’m happy to hear you’re looking to get back in the air. Wishing you both continued healing and happy holidays!

The commander 112s are underpowered imo. I checked the cylinder prices on the TO-360 engine for the TC variant. Yikes. Talk about orphaned Unobtanium. So 112TC would def be out for me. NA 114 would be the go to, if your budget can afford it.

I can second that. I flew both the 112 and 114 factory demonstrators when they first came out. I really liked the wide cabin and the quiet, car-like interior. The 112 was a pig in the climb and cruise and the 114 was more like a Bonanza.

Love my 112A. Cruise at 135kts at 9gph.

If you want a 114B you need to contact Judi. When they pop up they go fast.

I’m glad to hear the two of you are getting well. Always a good thing. Also glad to hear that you are wanting to continue to fly. Also a good thing. Happy holidays.

Last edited:
Gary, glad you're feeling better and starting the "chase" (knew you'd like that "dog feeling better" analogy);)

There are so many pilots in your area, I'd seriously try and partner or club fly. Wish we had a club in our area, we sort of have an unofficial one, but most of the AC are RV's. Would be nice to have access to a Cub or a TC Bonanza.

Timely post! While crossing the Commodore Barry bridge earlier this week, the thought occurred that I should shoot you an e-mail to see what's happening - you beat me to it! Glad to hear things are progressing well! Since you have a number of friends in the area, if you need some airtime, shouldn't be too hard to arrange something.

Hope you and Mary have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Happy to hear your recovery is coming along. Good luck on your endeavors finding an aircraft to fit your needs.

I was just wondering how you were doing. Congratulations on your improved health, have a Merry Christmas!

Glad to hear that you and Mary are on the road to recovery. I'm not going to try and help you spend your money... :goofy: Enjoy your search... Merry Christmas!!!

Glad you’re healing up and getting back in the saddle.

Check out PA24s

Not what you listed req wise, but after your experience, you sure you don’t want a more backcountry plane with some training?

Good to hear Mary and you are doing better have had no complication's from your injuries. I hope you all have a full and complete recovery. Take Care and have a happy Christmas and New Year

Thanks everyone for the holiday wishes.

We’re not into high wings, a two door low wing would be the first choice. We’re not in a hurry, I’m still dependent on a stinking cane and PT sessions.

I’m really liking the commanders and enjoy the hunt. Reading and researching keeps me occupied. As Jamie mentioned I did leave word for the commander queen, Judi.

Mary and I wish everyone a Merry Christmas!!

Also posted on the PB forum

Mary and I are still in the healing process and I’m getting around with the help
of a cane. Mary is doing very well despite a week long migraine this week.

I finally decided to settle up with the insurance company for the Debs hull value now that the engine inspection is complete. I am still waiting on the final report to be released, but at least I have the picture/narrative in hand. More on this to follow.

I started looking for the next plane, IF we decide to go there. Lately I’ve had the itch to fly so plane shopping helps. The potential next plane will be a low wing, two door, with a useful load of at least 1000lb.

Checking out the Cirrus SR20 but the chute repack thing is costly and seating not easy to remove for our dog. They are expensive to maintain too.

I like the Sierras but 130 kts and most need avionics upgrades and gear donuts. The Beech is still in the running due to familiar systems and the best type club support.

The last plane I have been looking into is the Commander 114A or B. Two doors, very roomy, lycoming powered and as fast as the Deb. I love the look and joined the owners group for more info.

So, the search is starting and I’m really wanting to fly again. One step at a time in the get back in the air process.

Merry Christmas !
The chute repack works out to 1500 a year if you accrue for it.
Otherwise, how are they expensive?
The avionics and engines together represent over 90% of my costs in a Cirrus. When comparing to a friends Bo at the time, he had a slightly lower ratio, because the inspection, corrosion protection and hear swing were additional costs; his total spend was just over mine at the time (including chute reserve) and this was an SR20 against the older Bo with electric e-series prop.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Great news on both your recoveries, and pleased to hear you want to "get back in the saddle".

The Commander is a big, comfortable airplane, built like you'd expect a defence contractor to build one (check out the "carrier" landing gear and the double glazed side windows).

But the comments about the turbo are generally correct; it is an oddball engine - turbo-charged and carbureted, and used only on the Commander and one Partenavia model. Hence the parts challenges, such as cylinders. The IO-540 version is the better bet for most.

A very happy Christmas to you and Mary.

Super news that the two of you are recovering well. Best of luck in your hunt for a new (to you) airplane.

Glad to hear of your continuing recovery.
I agree with the others, a 114 is a good plane.
A Trinidad probably fits your criteria too. I sat in one (never flew it). Very comfortable.

The KOBI gang says hi.

As mentioned by hindsight2020, the Socata TB 20 would be worth a look. Low wing, 2 doors, Lycoming IO-540. They are a little faster than the 114's, at 65% power, burning 13.5 gal/hr, mine trues at 154 at altitude. Wide 50" cabin, headroom in the G1's can be an issue for some, I'm 5'10" and have no issues, my son is 6'1" and also doesn't have a problem. Most have a useful load of around 1100#'s, 86 gal useable fuel so long range. Comfortable, easy to fly plane.

Commanders are just kinda slow for what they are

I know you don't like high-wings... but perhaps a Cardinal 177? You sit so far forward you barely see the wing in flight, the visibility is unbelievable.

What is it you don't like about high wings? Other than woes with fueling (and the 177 sits very low) there's tons of advantages on the ground and in hangars as well as hanging out by the plane.

Last edited:
IMHO, can't go wrong with either a Commander or Trinidad (TB20/TB21). When I bought my Commander it was down to those two brands/types - I ended up with the Commander 112TC, which was perfectly fine for my needs (90% one-person travel). The 112TC was a bit underpowered at full load, but pilot-only it was fine, I added vortex generators and gap seals and gained a decent margin. For regulars travel with 2+, I agree that the 114A/B/115 were a better choice (a few have TKS, which is helpful in the mid-Atlantic).

It's been a while, but I never really had problems getting engine/cylinder parts for the TC, but the TO360 is a "rare" engine, used only on the 112TC, the Partenavias, and a home buit or two. But we're not talking about the 112-series for you. The 114s are 540-based, whether normally aspirated or turbo. Engine parts readily available in the 114-series.

While the company is no longer around, the Commander owner group is good and have sourced many of the parts for the airframe. There is also a company or two that specializes in maintenance of the breed - expensive but in line with what one would expect from factory support.

Trinnie Gets good reports, too, though the factory is in France. I'd not hesitate to do my diligence and if acceptable, buy one.

The key with with breed is finding folks that are familiar enough with them to do your maintenance. I had a handful of shops that maintained them for several people - far better than "breaking in" a new A&P that maintains Cessnas. There are a few quirks to be aware of.

Glad you and Mary are on the mend! Happy Holidays to both of you and continued wishes for further recovery!

Lately I’ve had the itch to fly so plane shopping helps.

Ok, how about the RV-10 or the Sling TSi? Both can have chutes, and both being experimental the chute repack is short of $2k.

It's been a while, but I never really had problems getting engine/cylinder parts for the TC, but the TO360 is a "rare" engine, used only on the 112TC,
Is there an alternate engine ?

so....does the engine brand matter? or can this next purchase be either TCM or Lycoming?

I agree.....:confused:

I'd love me a 350HP Machen (Lycoming TIO-540) Bonanza.

Last edited:
@GMascelli
For Mary's migraines:

"Aimovig"
a new drug, and an absolute game-changer for many long-term migraine sufferers (my wife went from 21 per month to 1 per month, after years of suffering.

I was going to say I saw you over there on the Commander forum. I'd love to have a Commander. One of the best looking planes on the ramp IMO. Good luck on your search!

Back