MOONEY CFI NEEDED, Vacation in the U.S. Virgin Islands with pay..

Mooneysuper21

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
N1994y
I am located in St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands, I own a Mooney M20E I need a cfi to get me trained for my ppl. Currently using King school online and jeppesen books for ground school studying. Have some flight time, 10hrs. My offer is, I will supply room and board, and a vehicle and your hourly rate. I want to hit this hard like a full time job and get it knocked out.. bird is all original steam. Along with iPad stratus ads b in and out. 780hrs smoh, recently flown from Florida to the islands.
Serious inquires only. Contact is best by phone. 252-671-1250.

I’ll leave the serious inquiries to the phone calls.

I’m IN!!

if I had, you know, some Mooney time. And my CFI...

Sounds like an awesome offer! Good luck!

I’ll leave the serious inquiries to the phone calls.

I’m IN!!

if I had, you know, some Mooney time. And my CFI...

Me, too. Only I'd have to add...

And my CPL, and my IR, and my PPL. Guess I'm not qualified!

That sounds like an awesome opportunity for someone with the right credentials. And the freedom to travel there for that period of time.

I'm a Mooney CFI-I with lots of M20E hours (I used to own one; currently own an M20J). Only problem is that I let my instructor certificate expire more than ten years ago -- and I have a day job. Do you have toe-brakes on the right side? If not, you might struggle to find an instructor that's comfortable with that -- and if you did find an instructor that's comfortable with that, you'd then have to find a DPE that's comfortable with that. Also, short field landings in a Mooney is a whole different animal than short field landings in a C172. Ever done uncoordinated stalls in a Mooney? You lose 2,500 ft per rotation in a spin. My advice would be to get your private knocked out in a C172 / PA28 using an intensive / immersive course (I did zero hours to PPL in 3 weeks, for example), then transition to your Mooney. You could do the whole thing in your Mooney, but you'd be setting yourself up with obstacles, will require more hours, and thus any $$$ saved would probably be marginal. Probably not what you want to hear. Caveat emptor: my instructor certificates are long-since expired so consider this advise as unqualified.

I'm a Mooney CFI-I with lots of M20E hours (I used to own one; currently own an M20J). Only problem is that I let my instructor certificate expire more than ten years ago -- and I have a day job. Do you have toe-brakes on the right side? If not, you might struggle to find an instructor that's comfortable with that -- and if you did find an instructor that's comfortable with that, you'd then have to find a DPE that's comfortable with that. Also, short field landings in a Mooney is a whole differe animal than short field landings in a C172. Ever done uncoordinated stalls in a Mooney? You lose 2,500 ft per rotation in a spin. My advice would be to get your private knocked out in a C172 / PA28 using an intensive / immersive course (I did zero hours to PPL in 3 weeks, for example), then transition to your Mooney. You could do the whole thing in your Mooney, but you'd be setting yourself up with obstacles, will require more hours, and thus any $$$ saved would probably be marginal. Probably not what you want to hear. Caveat emptor: my instructor certificates are long-since expired so consider this advise as unqualified.

I don’t have brakes on the right side! And you have good points! A 172 will never happen for me! I hate them, don’t like the way they feel. I have flown them, and I actually have right at 1,000 hrs in a 48 vagabond dragger that was 30 years ago though and only a light sport lic. I have 10 loghours in the mooney but actually have around 30 in the left seat. Yesterday and tonight I did 4 hours in a warrior and to be honest I have a hard time flying that slow of a plane, not sure if that makes sense or not. Struggling with control on final. The mooney, no real problems at all, fly it like I stole it and land it the same way, we do have a lot of cross wind here being in the middle of the ocean, so once in a while I’ll get a little squirrelly, that needs some work! As long as I fly it by the numbers I’m good. I’m doing some short finals this weekend in the mooney, un logged, for practice.lot of forgiveness here with an international airport runways!i did find a company out of the pan handle in florida for an expedited course of 21 days or less in my bird, a cfi will come here and I’ll train the whole flight back to Florida, and continue for there, but at $200.00 an hour in my plane, That’s a bunch of money! And seems ridiculously high. Plus finding accommodations, and a rental car. So that’s the reason for this post..

Last edited:
I don’t have brakes on the right side! And you have good points! A 172 will never happen for me! I hate them, don’t like the way they feel. I have flown them, and I actually have right at 1,000 hrs in a 48 vagabond dragger that was 30 years ago though and only a light sport lic. I have 10 loghours in the mooney but actually have around 30 in the left seat. Yesterday and tonight I did 4 hours in a warrior and to be honest I have a hard time flying that slow of a plane, not sure if that makes sense or not. Struggling with control on final. The mooney, no real problems at all, fly it like I stole it and land it the same way, we do have a lot of cross wind here being in the middle of the ocean, so once in a while I’ll get a little squirrelly, that needs some work! As long as I fly it by the numbers I’m good. I’m doing some short finals this weekend in the mooney, un logged, for practice.lot of forgiveness here with an international airport runways!i did find a company out of the pan handle in florida for an expedited course of 21 days or less in my bird, a cfi will come here and I’ll train the whole flight back to Florida, and continue for there, but at $200.00 an hour in my plane, That’s a bunch of money! And seems ridiculously high. Plus finding accommodations, and a rental car. So that’s the reason for this post..

There are two DPEs in the US Virgin Islands, perhaps reach out to them to see what the lead time is for a private check ride, which may then dictate the intensity of your training schedule if done locally (and to see if lack of toe brakes presents an issue). That may help narrow down your options. Whatever you decide, best of luck!

I am located in St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands, I own a Mooney M20E I need a cfi to get me trained for my ppl. Currently using King school online and jeppesen books for ground school studying. Have some flight time, 10hrs. My offer is, I will supply room and board, and a vehicle and your hourly rate. I want to hit this hard like a full time job and get it knocked out.. bird is all original steam. Along with iPad stratus ads b in and out. 780hrs smoh, recently flown from Florida to the islands.
Serious inquires only. Contact is best by phone. 252-671-1250.

Good luck, sounds like fun for a CFI with time to spend over there

Might get one of these contract jet dudes to bite, worth a join and post
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=568363739993582&ref=content_filter

The DPE had no problem giving me the Instrument checkride in my Mooney with no right-side brakes. But do ask.

Also, your Mooney's Owners Manual should say something like "NOT APPROVED FOR SPINS!" I've heard from others to expect to lose at least 2000' in a one-turn spin and recovery. So don't do it!

Short field is no problem if I'm light. Mynfirst visit to a 2000' grass strip was just a month or two after finishing my insurance dual, barely over 100 hours in my logbook. Our short-body Mooneys are incredibly versatile.

Do fly by the numbers! Learn what MP and RPM combinations give what speed and power settings, and for God's sake fly the right speed in the pattern! Flying too fast in the pattern and too fast on final causes serious problems in Mooneys. I fly 90 mph on downwind and base, roll wings level on final at 85 mph, and crossing the threshhold at 75 mph - 5 mph for every 300 lb below gross weight (70 mph is a common target speed for solo and lots of gas or two people and half tanks or less).

Lots of good information that a Mooney CFI can provide.

Good luck, have fun and fly safe! Oh, and post pictures!! :) Of the plane. And some scenery from the plane. :D

Are you looking for specific times from the CFI? Specific time in the -E or is other Mooney time sufficient?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Later J POHs recommend practicing slow flight and stalls at 6000+ agl. Probably good advice for older short bodies models as well.

I'm a Mooney CFI-I with lots of M20E hours (I used to own one; currently own an M20J). Only problem is that I let my instructor certificate expire more than ten years ago -- and I have a day job. Do you have toe-brakes on the right side? If not, you might struggle to find an instructor that's comfortable with that -- and if you did find an instructor that's comfortable with that, you'd then have to find a DPE that's comfortable with that. Also, short field landings in a Mooney is a whole different animal than short field landings in a C172. Ever done uncoordinated stalls in a Mooney? You lose 2,500 ft per rotation in a spin. My advice would be to get your private knocked out in a C172 / PA28 using an intensive / immersive course (I did zero hours to PPL in 3 weeks, for example), then transition to your Mooney. You could do the whole thing in your Mooney, but you'd be setting yourself up with obstacles, will require more hours, and thus any $$$ saved would probably be marginal. Probably not what you want to hear. Caveat emptor: my instructor certificates are long-since expired so consider this advise as unqualified.

^^^^ This^^^^^^^

I was working on Split-S and Wingovers one day and let a Mooney M20C sniff at VNE when I failed to get off the power in time. Even then, she was going nose down like a hot rock. Only need to let that happen once

Why do you need to do uncoordinated stalls for a PPL?

I thought they don't fully stall anymore. Switched to stall awareness.

My last flight review in the J the CFI wouldn't let me get near stall, and wouldn't let me get near stall horn speed in slow flight.

You must be kidding me.... "Stall awareness"... Seriously? Whats next, getting a CPL by pushing the GPSS button at 700 AGL and hitting the AP disconnect at DH?

PP ACS does still include doing stalls.

But it redefined "slow flight" to mean "any faster and you get a stall indication" which people interpret as "any faster and you hear the horn".

I am located in St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands, I own a Mooney M20E I need a cfi to get me trained for my ppl. Currently using King school online and jeppesen books for ground school studying. Have some flight time, 10hrs.

I don’t have brakes on the right side! And you have good points! A 172 will never happen for me! I hate them, don’t like the way they feel. I have flown them, and I actually have right at 1,000 hrs in a 48 vagabond dragger that was 30 years ago though and only a light sport lic. I have 10 loghours in the mooney but actually have around 30 in the left seat. Yesterday and tonight I did 4 hours in a warrior and to be honest I have a hard time flying that slow of a plane, not sure if that makes sense or not. Struggling with control on final.

I’m struggling to reconcile these two posts.

In the first post you state you are working on your PPL and have about 10 hours. Fine so far.

However in the second post, you state you have 1,000 hours in a “vagabond dragger” which I interpret as a Piper Vagabond. So your number of hours seems confusing. Then you mention that was 30 years ago but was a “light sport lic”. If you are referring to a Light Sport Pilot certificate, those didn’t exist 30 years ago. So this claim does not make a lot of sense.

Also your statements about not being able to fly a slower plane is ridiculous. You might prefer to have a fast complex airplane to get you where you are going faster or to stroke your ego but to state that they are easier for you to fly is nonsense.

I’m struggling to reconcile these two posts.

In the first post you state you are working on your PPL and have about 10 hours. Fine so far.

However in the second post, you state you have 1,000 hours in a “vagabond dragger” which I interpret as a Piper Vagabond. So your number of hours seems confusing. Then you mention that was 30 years ago but was a “light sport lic”. If you are referring to a Light Sport Pilot certificate, those didn’t exist 30 years ago. So this claim does not make a lot of sense.

Also your statements about not being able to fly a slower plane is ridiculous. You might prefer to have a fast complex airplane to get you where you are going faster or to stroke your ego but to state that they are easier for you to fly is nonsense.

I was thinking he same thing Skydog... Interesting. Good luck OP.

You must be kidding me.... "Stall awareness"... Seriously? Whats next, getting a CPL by pushing the GPSS button at 700 AGL and hitting the AP disconnect at DH?

Then we will only have Cirrus drivers qualified as CPL's.

Back