Can You Spot Something Unusual Here?

A decent rate of 1000fpm while 4 degrees pitch up? That mah be normal though in whatever you are flying. I dunno.

Ain’t got a clue, but I gots a question. What are them light blue ‘wind barb’ lookin thingies at about the 12 degree pitch up mark?

4 degrees nose up is normal for slats extended. All ops are normal at this point there is just one unusual thing that could get you in trouble.

Ain’t got a clue, but I gots a question. What are them light blue ‘wind barb’ lookin thingies at about the 12 degree pitch up mark?
We call those the "Whiskers" or more accurately they are pitch limit indicators. They very precisely show the pitch where you will get stick shaker.

The airplane is an MD11, but pretty much all transport category jets use similar displays.

Last edited:
The little airplane is totally off the magneta line.
Well that is because we are on radar vectors for the ILS.

I'll give you guys a hint, it's serious enough the ATIS has a warning about it and there is a mnemonic about it in training.

Last edited:
Altimeter setting 28.88? That's really low.
Exactly! An altimeter a full inch below standard. We've all seen low altimeter settings before but this low is pretty rare.

Imagine an IFR approach with 29.88 set instead of 28.88.

Exactly! An altimeter a full inch below standard. We've all seen low altimeter settings before but this low is pretty rare.

Imagine an IFR approach with 29.88 set instead of 28.88 (or whatever was closest).
I don’t have to imagine it...I’ve scared myself that way. Long day, late night, etc. I had a copilot who only gave the “88” on the descent check, so I went from 29.92 to 29.88. Realized it after my GPWS called out “1000” while I was descending outbound for the procedure turn. :eek:

[raises right hand] “My name is David, and I’m stupid.”

Oh wait, I see it... You'll never make it through Rainy Pass on your way to PASM at that altitude!! :)

I was gonna say the 14kt tail wind they are about to give you.

All I saw was that you're .9 miles from airspace and still over 200 kts...indicating 223 TAS. I really didn't consider whether or not 28.88 was low, I just presumed that it was set to what you wanted it to be.

All I saw was that you're .9 miles from airspace and still over 200 kts...indicating 223 TAS. I really didn't consider whether or not 28.88 was low, I just presumed that it was set to what you wanted it to be.
Speed was assigned by ATC.

In case anyone wonders, those two diamonds to the right of the airplane symbol are a FedEx and a Cathay 777 ahead of us. They had us keep the speed up to close the distance between us and the second 777. Lots of traffic behind us and 7R was closed.

As I was flying past KSFO on a long IFR flight, the ATIS and tower were announcing the altimeter setting was 27.97. I overheard a United Airlines 747 state that his Kollsman window ran out of numbers at 28.00 and was begging for somebody to tell him how many feet to add to his current altitude. I have experienced lower than that in Alaska...

As I was flying past KSFO on a long IFR flight, the ATIS and tower were announcing the altimeter setting was 27.97. I overheard a United Airlines 747 state that his Kollsman window ran out of numbers at 28.00 and was begging for somebody to tell him how many feet to add to his current altitude. I have experienced lower than that in Alaska...
If you were in the Jet Route structure, trust you were at FL 200 or higher.

Needle-speedle-airball Boeing guy here, so what do the green AS bugs mean?

Anchorage tower usually states “altimeter low” in the ATIS when that happens. Did they this time?

?? Nope. 5,00 feet on V25.
Ok, you weren't in the flight levels. With that altimeter setting the lowest usable flight level would be FL 200. FAR 91.121

Info stuff, GE=gear extend, F28=flaps 28, SR=slat retract. Depending on configuration there are others, the meanings are similar.
Cool, thanks. So, just like Long bug, Vlg extend, Vlg extended, Vflaps=Vref 40+70(40)(20) or minus 10 if below 117k, Va210 or Plus 10 at 117k and above, Vga15/5/1, and Vgmca. Easy peasy - or something like that. Got it!! :p:p:p

Back