[NA] Weber Genesis II Grill Pireps?

I have a Genesis I bought in like 2014. I love it. I opted for an NG model and had a gas line run to my back patio. Best decision I've ever made. Never have to worry about having a fuel source on-hand (propane or wood/charcoal). Well worth the expense.

UPDATE

I ended up buying a floor model Genesis II E-310 on an end of season clearance sale. I'd have to say I'm a little disappointed. I don't know if it's because of the cooler weather or because I've gotten so used to charcoal, but this thing just doesn't have any searing power. With the lid down, it gets up to 600+ degF per the built-in thermometer but put it up an it just takes forever for anything to get browned. To add insult to injury, Weber changed the food grate dimensions so that all the old accessories don't fit this new grill. Weber doesn't seem to make a whole lot of accessories for the new dimensions.

If I were to do it all over again I'd have bought the Spirit SP-330 back when it was still available because it had sear and side burners. If I were to buy a new grill today it would be the Spirit II stainless S-310 (a Home Depot exclusive). The Spirit II food grate is the same as the original Spirit so accessories are readily available. It also has a double wall hood unlike the Spirit II (enameled) E-310.

This is the grill I've been using for about a year or so.

new-grill-1.jpg

My friends and family shamed me into it. My old grill... well, let's just say it had seen better days.

I paid $249.00 for the new one when it was on sale at Sam's Club. It gets used several times a week, year round. I've moved it closer to the door since this picture was taken and shovel the snow on the deck to get to it in the winter.

It did have one very minor problem: The rubber cushions on the bottom of the lid were missing. The manufacturer sent me new ones. Then I found the original ones in a wadded-up piece of packing material, so now I have extras. They actually make a huge difference. The box gets too hot without them. I guess the air flow is inadequate without the gap.

Time will tell how well the grill will hold up. So far, so good.

Rich

I have had a Weber Genesis since 2002 when I think they first came out... I am close to the ocean so I do get the marine layer (salt air) a lot... I have replaced the "inners" on it with the upgraded stainless steel; which I got for free when I called Weber direct because it was under warranty. As for the frame etc...I am seeing some bubbling, but no real corrosion.. Other than that a twice a year cleaning and the thing has been rock solid.

This is the one...

weber-genesis-e-320-black-lp-gas-grill-3751001.jpg

My father had a saying, "buy it right the first time so you don't have to buy it twice.." With Weber et al... you're going to spend some money, but it will last you a while..

This is what my Weber Silver whatever-model grill looks like:
41NZNFCDT4L._SX425_.jpg

Still has the original cast iron grates, but I've replaced all the burners and diffusers with stainless, and swapped in a new igniter. I think it's close to 20 years old by now. A few of the plastic parts are getting brittle and squirrels keep chewing on whatever else they can get to. We had problems for a couple seasons with possums chewing on the drip pan but I think a few of the neighborhood cars took care of that.

I love mine. Seems well made. My last one I gave to a friend after 10 years use and still running strong. Easy to fix the little things that come up. Price is a bit more then others but not in the “Viking” category of Uber expensive grills but I think still cooks like them.

I think I've had mine around 2 years or close to it now, so far so good.

I bought a Weber Genesis Silver in 1994. My new wife was not happy at all that I spent $400 on a grill. She understood after it lasted 13 years before a spot rusted through.

And then six years ago, I found the same model being given away by someone in town because it didn’t work. I took it home, cleaned off the burners and blew compressed air through it. Hooked up the tank, lit it and in five minutes it hit 550 degrees.

I’ve replaced the burners, grate and flavorizer bars, and the drip pan bracket just broke so that’s justification to get a welder, and it could use new paint, but it works like brand new.

Back