Deer strike tonight

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Well today’s flight ended with some excitement.

I landed right at last light and as I was just touching down and beginning the roll out, I see 3-4 decent sized deer come shooting out of the woods which sit about 50ft off the side of the runway. I could tell I was on a collision course with one of them, almost like a a scope and crosshairs. Without having the option for a go-around or being able to stop the airplane in time, I had no choice but to hit it. It happened very fast, and initially felt like I struck it head on, but after inspection of the deer carcass and airplane, it was struck just above the hind legs and caught the end of the propeller blade.

Fortunately after inspection of the exterior of the airplane, there is no damage, but the local A&P will have a look at it to be sure.

Whew! That was a bit frightening!

56981246-CE59-4D74-B940-F5871D74FAAB.jpeg AF9285B0-13A5-4655-8783-240F8BA3422D.jpeg

Ugh . I think that still counts as a prop strike which means you'll want a teardown .

Glad there was nothing else hurt, though.

Wow, could’a been worse! I mean for you. Can’t get too much worse for the deer. Can u at least get some deer meat out of the deal?

Well at least take the back straps.

Also ask your airport about their wildlife strike permit, most airports have a permit to shot on sight for deer, yotes and the like, talk to the manager and I’m sure he’d be ok with you going out and shooting them.

Glad you weren’t injured,hope the damage to your airplane is minor.

Propeller was not damaged and there wasn’t any sudden engine stoppage.

Will have the local A&P have a look at it.

After I taxied up to the ramp, I had a CFI come out and I started the engine and had him listen to it. He said the prop did not sound out of balance and everything by sound only was normal.

Propeller was not damaged and there wasn’t any sudden engine stoppage.

Will have the local A&P have a look at it.

After I taxied up to the ramp, I had a CFI come out and I started the engine and had him listen to it. He said the prop did not sound out of balance and everything by sound only was normal.

You killed a decent sized animal with your prop, that calls for more than a CFI to listen.

Some strong bones in that hip area. Be safe

That sucks. Glad U ok and plane hopefully ok. Could have been worse. Great example of why a couple of us airport rats chase deer at night for each other if we are coming in late.

Well at least take the back straps.

Also ask your airport about their wildlife strike permit, most airports have a permit to shot on sight for deer, yotes and the like, talk to the manager and I’m sure he’d be ok with you going out and shooting them.

Check with the local game warden.

We did that at the airport I instructed at in West Virginia. We had to get the permits from the game warden. He gave us 3 permits. We harvested 15 deer in one night. One of the pilots in the area, his dad used to poach deer for a living and he showed us the best way to get deer at night. He could gut a deer in about 30 seconds.

And yes, we did have a fly in venison cook out a couple weeks later.

The rest of the deer stayed away for 2 nights, then were back in the hay field.

Check with the local game warden.

We did that at the airport I instructed at in West Virginia. We had to get the permits from the game warden. He gave us 3 permits. We harvested 15 deer in one night. One of the pilots in the area, his dad used to poach deer for a living and he showed us the best way to get deer at night. He could gut a deer in about 30 seconds.

And yes, we did have a fly in venison cook out a couple weeks later.

The rest of the deer stayed away for 2 nights, then were back in the hay field.

Over here if you hit a deer and do damage to your stuff I’ve never seen them not hand you a tag if you ask for it.

Ether way regardless, you hurt my plane you’re going to be on my BBQ.

Over here if you hit a deer and do damage to your stuff I’ve never seen them not hand you a tag if you ask for it.

Ether way regardless, you hurt my plane you’re going to be on my BBQ.

It was no problem getting the permits to harvest deer. The game warden came by one evening and we spot lighted 30 or so deer next to the runway, and the next day he came by with the permits. He did say that he would have given us more permits if it wasn't so close to the season.

No problem here with the roadkill café.....

You killed a decent sized animal with your prop, that calls for more than a CFI to listen.
Which is exactly why I stated that our A&P will be looking at it. I didn’t say the CFI was the final authority, that was just his initial observation.

Which is exactly why I stated that our A&P will be looking at it. I didn’t say the CFI was the final authority, that was just his initial observation.

Fair enough, but as a CFI id never try to judge balance by ear lol

Be careful. If you're in the medical profession one of that Bambi's relatives might find themselves traumatized by those pictures.

Seems pretty cut and dry if its a Lycoming. Take your pick whether you want to define it as a "solid object" or a "yielding medium". :(

Straight out of the Service Bulletin:

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SB533C Recommended Action for sudden Engine Stoppage, Propeller_Rotor Strike or Loss of Propeller_Rotor Blade or Ti (1).pdf

A propeller strike includes:
  • Any incident, whether or not the engine is operating, where repair of the propeller is necessary
  • Any incident during engine operation where the propeller has impact on a solid object. This incident includes propeller strikes against the ground. Although the propeller can continue to turn, damage to the engine can occur, possibly with progression to engine failure
  • Sudden RPM drop on impact to water, tall grass, or similar yielding medium where propeller damage does not usually occur

Seems pretty cut and dry if its a Lycoming. Take your pick whether you want to define it as a "solid object" or a "yielding medium". :(

Straight out of the Service Bulletin:

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SB533C Recommended Action for sudden Engine Stoppage, Propeller_Rotor Strike or Loss of Propeller_Rotor Blade or Ti (1).pdf

A propeller strike includes:
  • Any incident, whether or not the engine is operating, where repair of the propeller is necessary
  • Any incident during engine operation where the propeller has impact on a solid object. This incident includes propeller strikes against the ground. Although the propeller can continue to turn, damage to the engine can occur, possibly with progression to engine failure
  • Sudden RPM drop on impact to water, tall grass, or similar yielding medium where propeller damage does not usually occur
also straight out of the ad:
(3) A sudden RPM drop while impacting water, tall grass, or similar yielding medium, where propeller damage is not normally incurred.

I am willing to bet when the prop sliced through a deer carcass there was a sudden drop in RPM. If it were me, there would be no question. tear it down and do the inspection. your insurance will pay for it.

If you were Ryan and he has insurance that cover's an inspection for a prop strike. What would you do?

Too lazy to scan the whole thread. Was this at Collegedale?

I don't know that I would tear the whole engine down for this but I would certainly want to dial the propeller flange and check the track on the propeller blades to make sure they aren't bent.

I wouldn't make that bet.. :)

Do you actually doubt that there was a reduction in RPM as a result of this incident or are you implying that there is a certain level of deniability, however implausible, that you would just claim there was no RPM drop and just let it fly?

Is that your bet?

That’s a bet that you would lose.

If you were Ryan and he has insurance that cover's an inspection for a prop strike. What would you do?

I’d do what the AD says to do, regardless of insurance coverage.

I don't know that I would tear the whole engine down for this but I would certainly want to dial the propeller flange and check the track on the propeller blades to make sure they aren't bent.
If it’s a lycoming, and I was insured, you bet I’d have someone check the crankshaft gear. Might as well get a “free” overhaul out of it while you’re bothering with the rest. I see no good reason not to do so. It’s rare you can get insurance to pay for your overhaul.

Glad it all worked out!

ZjRtYkQ.png

If it’s a lycoming, and I was insured, you bet I’d have someone check the crankshaft gear. Might as well get a “free” overhaul out of it while you’re bothering with the rest. I see no good reason not to do so. It’s rare you can get insurance to pay for your overhaul.
Its not a free overhaul, the insurance companies pro-rate to TBO for how much they will pay.

Do you actually doubt that there was a reduction in RPM as a result of this incident or are you implying that there is a certain level of deniability, however implausible, that you would just claim there was no RPM drop and just let it fly?
In this case you are free to do pretty much as you please. IF it is a Lycoming,, AD compliance is all that is required.
It would be my bet that you'd find nothing wrong.

Yesterday I had an excellent venison hotdog. Made from deer harvested on the airport. They have a kill permit and harvest deer year around.

Its not a free overhaul, the insurance companies pro-rate to TBO for how much they will pay.
They are going to pay for the removal and disassembly, the rest is pretty mild relatively.

If someone will pay to split the case I’m going to take advantage of it. IMO you’d be a fool not to.

Back