Best portable fan or blower for garage?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Who's got the best solution for clearing fumes and garage work kind of smells out of the garage and keep them from filtering up to anger the wife mode?
Thinking maybe the floor dryers the flood restoration guys use - stick the snout under the rollup door, and lower the door to just on top of that?
Other ideas?

A few years back I built a panel the take the bottom couple of feet of a coiling door opening. The panel had two box fans built in and the coiling door closed to the panel. That served as the exhaust air for a visquine paint booth and it worked great.

Been there...the floor dryers are good for blowing air in under pressure, not sucking air out in mass.

You really need a 24" or better version of a floor fan like below. Tractor Supply has them and the key is to crack a window to get the cross ventilation going otherwise you will just suck air from immediately around the fan and not ventilate the room.

0004724299016_A

In addition, you might try sealing off (caulk or foam) each outlet, switch box and junction box and don’t forget under the bottom edge of the drywall by the floor. Think hermetically sealed. Then paint the walls with a semi- or gloss enamel. Your clothes are bringing a fair amount of stink into the house as well.

I painted my RV-6 in the garage. To clear the overspray and fumes, I raised the garage door a couple of feet and placed 3 cheapie box fans under the door pointing outward. To avoid recirculating the same air, I filled the rest of the space at the bottom of the door by leaning pieces of plywood (IIRC) up against the door from the inside.

Quick and easy.

Last edited:
This is what I did. Its kinda inefficient in the winter, but works great otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_2873.JPG
    IMG_2873.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3824.JPG
    IMG_3824.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2874.JPG
    IMG_2874.JPG
    359.4 KB · Views: 9
Back