So whats on the Plate for Christmas Dinner

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Wondering what everyone's Christmas Dinner Plate is.

My family likes my cooking and I enjoy cooking for them for the holidays. Our Christmas dinner plate will look something like this:

- Aged bone in Prime Rib (5 bone)
- Mashed potations
- Glazed carrots
- Dinner Rolls
- Cesar Salad
- Stuffed Mushrooms

Desert is something like this:
- Pumpkin Pie w/whip cream and vanilla ice cream
- Cookies: Sugar, Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter
- Peanut Brittle
- Apple and Cherry Turnovers

We try to keep it simple and the kids always take home a plate for lunch/dinner the day after Christmas. Our goal is to have as few left overs as possible and the kids sure help with that...:)

Merry Christmas everyone and happy Holidays

We do prime rib, garlic mashers, green bean casserole, jello salad, Hawaiian rolls, and sparkling grape juice. A chocolate satin pie and pecan pie round out the meal.

I'm hoping for prime rib, but that will probably be on Christmas eve. There will probably be a few other fixings but I'm only going to eat salad as a side.

I know, I'm boring.

I'm hoping for prime rib, but that will probably be on Christmas eve. There will probably be a few other fixings but I'm only going to eat salad as a side.

I know, I'm boring.

You're not boring, that's what you like..

Tradition is prime rib, and all the fixins.

Not sure what will be on the table at home (the Minister of Agriculture at my house prefers turkey), but we served elk backstrap at the staff dinner party last Friday night.

This year it's prime rib au jus. The person prepping it owns a fancy restaurant so the expectation is high. Potatoes and salad will be the accompaniment. I suspect an apple pie will follow as well.

In years past I've done goose. Preparing it for extended family is a good way to dispose of the meat while I hoard the fat. That stuff is liquid gold.

I've an in-law that hunts and has brought stuff he's bagged but unfortunately he's been too busy to go out this year.

I've an in-law that hunts and has brought stuff he's bagged but unfortunately he's been too busy to go out this year.
A friend told me they cooked a Turkey for Thanksgiving. The family brought over Deer and Moose roasts + King Crab, caught locally. Needless to say no one ate the Turkey...:)

Whole beef tenderloin roasted in butter. Yorkshire pudding. Champ potatoes. Peas with a hint of mint. Green salad.

Likely will be turkey, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, rice & gravy, and another veggie or two. Wrap up with apple pie, mincemeat pie, and Christmas cookies.

Don't care about Christmas Dinner menu...always look forward to Christmas Eve dinner at my folk's which is typically crab, shrimp and fish they caught fresh off their own boat themselves up in Washington state!

We do a roast in the crock pot with all of the usual trimmings (ie., mashed potatoes, green beans, pasta salad etc.)

Desert is usually a pumpkin or french silk pie.

Christmas Eve is the Seven fish dinner. It’s a lot of fish!!
Christmas Day
-standing rib roast
-tortellini red sauce
-Tortellini with pesto (red and green looks nice on table)
-mashed potatoes
-not sure rest.

Will be expecting 10 for dinner.

I'm cooking a beef rib roast. Everyone else will be doing the sides and desserts, so I don't know what will show up. And there will be bourbon and elk jerky.

Prime rib has never been a part of my family's or my wife's family's Christmas. Time for a new tradition!

Back in my bachelor days......

th

Probably a rib roast unless the family is willing to brave crowds on Christmas morning, then it’s dim sum...

12BE2C43-E27A-4B6D-B320-0558199C82AF.jpeg

Actually not sure yet. Growing up, we had turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year Thanksgiving was just a turkey breast and for Christmas it might be a small ham or ham slices? I'm pushing for beef tenderloin, but at the same time, I'm really just happy if it all simple and doesn't take a lot of time.

Mashed potatoes, corn and rolls, maybe green beans. Easy stuff.

7 fishes.
That's a new one on me. I do like seafood so I'd be in..:)

Since my wife is going to be out of country during the holidays and since I don't cook much anymore especially fancy meals, probably that or a can of beans.
Come on over we will feed you well...:rolleyes:

Prime rib has never been a part of my family's or my wife's family's Christmas. Time for a new tradition!
Good choice..:thumbsup:

We normally do ham (weird I know celebrating the birth of a Jewish baby). This year we are headed to the in-laws and my mother in-law likes me to cook a turkey she is 86 so she wins. Will also have mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, roast butternut squash, rolls, cranberry sauce.

That's a new one on me. I do like seafood so I'd be in..:)

Come on over we will feed you well...:rolleyes:

Good choice..:thumbsup:

Cool. I just checked airfare and CLT - ANC round trip is only $1200 or so. What time is dinner? :)

:D

I honestly don't know. My family usually goes Downstate to my brother's home for Christmas, but I'm on the fence about it this year. The regular 4+ hour drive is grueling at best because of the fact that it unavoidably goes through parts of New York City; but in recent years, it's been made even worse by the checkpoints along the major highways where they lead up to the bridges.

Most of the checkpoints and delays apparently are caused by bogus bomb threats that nonetheless must be investigated. But bogus or not, last year they stretched the trip to almost six hours. That was longer than I actually spent at my brother's house.

I've been pondering several alternate routes that would be longer geographically, but which would avoid some of the more popular targets for terrorists and miscreants both real and bogus. But none of them avoid the necessity of crossing the East River over either the Throgs Neck Bridge or the Whitestone Bridge. The rest of them I can avoid by crossing the Hudson at Kingston, which would also allow me to avoid the Thruway altogether by taking the Taconic State Parkway, which no one cares about enough for there to be any security activity.

But that still would still leave the East River and the various approaches thereto from which I could choose on the fly based on TomTom's live traffic advice. None of the approaches, however, are known for being all that great under the best of circumstances, much less on Christmas day.

cbe.jpg

I'm hoping for a massive blizzard that will make the no-go decision easier. But alas, that doesn't look to be in the cards, at least not if Weather Underground is to be believed.

Rich

But none of them avoid the necessity of crossing the East River over either the Throgs Neck Bridge or the Whitestone Bridge.

Back in the day I used to visit friends out on the island. I found the most relaxing way was to take the auto ferry from Bridgeport CT over to Port Jefferson.

Back in the day I used to visit friends out on the island. I found the most relaxing way was to take the auto ferry from Bridgeport CT over to Port Jefferson.

That's also a possibility, albeit a circuitous one considering the destination.

Rich

We have our annual prime rib fight each Christmas. We bring my MIL over for dinner - she won't touch anything that isn't well done, and I refuse to cook that rib roast any more than med-rare. The compromise is that my wife throws a piece into a skillet to finish it.

It's a Christmas tradition.

Are all the other ones composite ribs?

We have our annual prime rib fight each Christmas. We bring my MIL over for dinner - she won't touch anything that isn't well done, and I refuse to cook that rib roast any more than med-rare. The compromise is that my wife throws a piece into a skillet to finish it.

I'll ignore my opinion that "prime rib" doesn't exist, it is a standing rib roast and could be of many grades (choice, select, prime).

I guess I didn't ignore it.

Now then, I cook a standing rib roast on the rotisserie of my grill until it is medium rare in the middle. The end cuts are usually closer to medium at that point.

When someone, like mother, wants well done I slice off a piece and throw it back on the grill until done to their taste. I heard of this first at a restaurant that called it "cowboy style."

It works out fine since people get the benefit of the slower cooked rib roast which is where the flavors get locked in, and the presentation and texture they are used to without me ruining an 8 pound rib roast. :)

I'll ignore my opinion that "prime rib" doesn't exist, it is a standing rib roast and could be of many grades (choice, select, prime).

I guess I didn't ignore it.

Now then, I cook a standing rib roast on the rotisserie of my grill until it is medium rare in the middle. The end cuts are usually closer to medium at that point.

When someone, like mother, wants well done I slice off a piece and throw it back on the grill until done to their taste. I heard of this first at a restaurant that called it "cowboy style."

It works out fine since people get the benefit of the slower cooked rib roast which is where the flavors get locked in, and the presentation and texture they are used to without me ruining an 8 pound rib roast. :)

It does exist, but yes people tend to misuse the term in a technical sense to grades other than prime.

New England clam chowder for starters,then turkey,ham ,twice baked mashed and assorted vegetables.

Back