Coffee

Try 100% pure Kona and get whole bean. It's expensive..like $30 to $40 a pound but man o man it is great. Only draw back is for some reason Kona gives me the jitters.

I just recently got a coffee gator carafe. Its a chemex off brand and doesn't use paper filters. Still learning it but coming from a keurig it does taste way better.

I don't mind Starbucks either, their house blend, caramel macchiato, or any frappecinno. But frapps are basically desert to me and not coffee. Black coffee I'm trying to force myself into otherwise it's stevia and heavy whipping cream. Speaking of which it's early and time for some coffee!

I really don't like the taste of coffee, even good coffee, unless it is drowned out by mocha powder. I only drink a cup a day to ward off headaches.

Black and bitter, the only way to drink it, I'm decaffeinated now.

Alright folks let’s get rid of the Keurigs please. That’s borderline Starbucks :p

In college I decided I wanted to be a black coffee drinker because it seemed like a mature thing to do.
I recall forcing it down and hating it.

After about the 3rd morning of doing this, It kinda went from terrible to tolerable.
within about a week, I found myself liking it.
After a couple months it got to where if I skipped it I would get headaches.
I started drinking it all day to the point that I had to go to the dr and do some unplesant things
Adding water to my daily diet fixed that
Now I have 1 Yeti tumbler every morning and it is truly delicious to me.
I think it tastes great and it is also a security blanket. I feel like something is missing if I don't have it.
I drink starbucks and I only drink it black

^^^That children is the ABCs of addiction.
At least Coffee is legal and you aren't frowned upon for having, wanting, needing it daily.

I drink it black.

Usually buy beans from Costco; they turn over the stock fast enough that they're fresh. I always find the little vent on the package and sniff that as I squeeze the bag; weak or no odor, no buy. Their Java Club brand gives me headaches; why would that be?

Not real fussy about grinding immediately before using. Grind a bunch and keep it in an airtight container. I know that all the obsessive stuff gets a better flavor, but I have other things to do.

How can anyone drink instant coffee?

When I was about 30 I had never tried a cup of coffee and never had a desire to. A friend who loves coffee said oh we've got to introduce you to what coffee is. He made me cup of some kind of really good high end brew. I drank about a quarter of the cub and gave up. Just did not see the attraction. Haven't had a drop before or since.

The smell of it holds no attraction to me either. HOWEVER the smell of vanilla will give me an instant lasting headache and though its rare to encounter someone with this trait, I know I'm not the only person this happens to. So if you're going to some kind of meeting or seminar in a closed room full of strangers and you want to be a real d**k, get yourself a nice ginormous steaming vat of vanilla flavored coffee on the way into the room and then drink it nice and slow so everyone around you can get the full benefit of its retched vile stench.

That’s me. Living in the south my whole life has made me a tea drinker.

Me, too. Black coffee until 10/10:30 then I switch to iced tea until I go to bed.

Can't stand Starbucks coffee, they start by burning the beans then brew it watery. The beans are overdone in order to preserve a smidgen of coffee flavor after topping off the order with lots of cream, sugar, flavored oils, soy milk and whipped cream. It ain't coffee no more, it's a milk shake with a hint of coffee flavoring.

I prefer light to medium roast Colombian coffee, brewed thick and strong. My father in law used to poir half a cup then top it off with water. But grounds less than dark roasted are hard to find . . . They taste burnt, and the longer the beans are cooked, the less caffeine they contain.

Go coffe!! Down with Starbucks . . . .

Starbucks? I like the caramel macchiatos and caramel fraps (no whip), but I'll suffer through their bitter drip coffee when I'm feeling guilty about the calories. At home I'm happy with Costco's Kirkland brand Breakfast Blend in the K-cup. As an alternative I like the Teeccino herbal coffees.
Next time you want a lower calorie fix, try the Americano instead of the drip. It's just espresso mixed with water, you control the strength by asking for more or less or no room. The 'room for cream' just determines how much water they add. More room=stronger coffee. They can always add more hot water if it's too strong for you.

Coffee black. For me, though, never after lunch (~11:30a)

As for the Starbucks crowd. Did you know the retail bags were roasted and packed by Maxwell House in San Leandro, CA? They also produce Nabob brand for our friends in Canadia.

Whole bean 100% arabica, freshly ground. Smells good, tastes good.

I never liked coffee but I was talking to my doctor and mentioned that and she said I should start drinking it. That was last year about this time and I've been drinking a cup almost everyday since. She put it in the category of a small aspirin. No one knows why but it seems to be good for you. I do put a packet of fake sugar and a good bit of sugar free creamer in it to make it palatable.

When I was in Turkey meeting with our Ambassador and the Turkish head of the US-Turkish Defense cooperative we were served coffee. Like eating the eyeballs in Kurdistan, I drank the coffee. I prefer the eyeball.

Coffee black. For me, though, never after lunch (~11:30a)

As for the Starbucks crowd. Did you know the retail bags were roasted and packed by Maxwell House in San Leandro, CA? They also produce Nabob brand for our friends in Canadia.

Whole bean 100% arabica, freshly ground. Smells good, tastes good.

Not buying into that story ... Maxwell House is so much better than Starbucks! :D

Coffee is indeed an acquired taste. I acquired it when I was about 8 years old. A few years ago I developed hypertension (runs in the family) and cut out most caffeine, so I mostly drink decaf now.

The best method for a good cup of coffee doesn't require roasting your own megabuck beans or precise temperature control of the water.

The best method is to pick up a pound of ground coffee from a backwoods country store in the Appalachians and toss it into your backpack. You then hike several miles into the mountains and make camp for the night. In the morning, you measure out coffee into the palm of your hand (one full palm per cup, plus one extra for the pot) and toss it into a steel percolator. Use water drawn from the mountain stream you camped next to. Percolate it over your morning fire, then sip steaming cup after cup while watching the sun come up over the mountains.

Been much too long since I made it that way.

Another great method is to simply fill a thermos of coffee at the gas station on your pre-dawn drive to the marina and the dive boat. You sip the gas station coffee on the deck of the boat, with a chilling rain blowing across the deck and a rolling sea rocking you, still wearing your wetsuit, during your surface interval following a dive on the U-352 off the coast of North Carolina.

Do these and similar things a few times and then whenever you merely smell coffee brewing, let alone have a cup, wonderful memories will flood back and you'll understand the drink.

Those who sip fru-fru coffee drinks made from hundred dollar beans using high-end equipment don't know what coffee is all about.

Not buying into that story ... Maxwell House is so much better than Starbucks! :D

I implemented their ERP system. No story to buy, it's an actual fact.

San Leandro, CA produced Max, Starbucks, Nabob, and General Foods International Coffee.

Houston, TX produced Max, Starbucks, Sanka, and Uncle Ben's Rice.

Jacksonville, FL produced General Foods International Coffee and Max. No "private label" there.

San Leandro, CA produced Max, Starbucks, Nabob, and General Foods International Coffee.

Jacksonville, FL produced General Foods International Coffee and Max. No "private label" there.

I was just yanking your chain. :) I believe you.

The best method is to pick up a pound of ground coffee from a backwoods country store in the Appalachians and toss it into your backpack. You then hike several miles into the mountains and make camp for the night. In the morning, you measure out coffee into the palm of your hand (one full palm per cup, plus one extra for the pot) and toss it into a steel percolator. Use water drawn from the mountain stream you camped next to. Percolate it over your morning fire, then sip steaming cup after cup while watching the sun come up over the mountains.

Another great method is to simply fill a thermos of coffee at the gas station on your pre-dawn drive to the marina and the dive boat. You sip the gas station coffee on the deck of the boat, with a chilling rain blowing across the deck and a rolling sea rocking you, still wearing your wetsuit, during your surface interval following a dive on the U-352 off the coast of North Carolina.

Those who sip fru-fru coffee drinks made from hundred dollar beans using high-end equipment don't know what coffee is all about. [/QUOTE]

While those sound exquisite, they are difficult to do on a daily basis. I prefer simply scooping some Folgers 100% Colombian into my Mr Coffee [3 scoops, my wife will only drink frappucino . . . :( ] and fill with water to the 4 cup line. When it's done, pour it into my small Yeti and drink it over an hour or so, preferably including the drive to the airport where the empty cup sits on my hangar toolbox until I return.

At work, I drink what they provide, and have a second cup that lives there so I don't have to carry it back and forth . . .

For the bolded comment, AMEN, BROTHER!!!

Last edited:
Spend a couple of K and get a Jura.

Starbucks haters are less about coffee and more about needing a social statement. Starbucks is great coffee. Especially out of a Jura!
The company I work for about 5 years ago had a Jura. The best coffee machine I've ever used.

Most people don't realize that many, if not most, of the products we buy are produced by the same very small number (often 1 or 2) of companies and just branded a particular way. Paper towels, charcoal, microwave popcorn, salsa, chicken, etc.

Yeah, chicken. You didn't really think KFC made that stuff in-house, did you? Their recipe isn't that closely guarded of a secret, because they have to share it with all of their producers...

I have liked coffee as far back as I can remember. Black, no sweetener, no cream. I think I drank it as a teenager, and still drink at least one cup every morning. My teenage years were way too many years ago!

I do put a packet of fake sugar and a good bit of sugar free creamer in it to make it palatable.[/QUOTE]

Real men don't do that to their coffee;)

You then hike several miles into the mountains and make camp for the night. In the morning, you measure out coffee into the palm of your hand (one full palm per cup, plus one extra for the pot) and toss it into a steel percolator. Use water drawn from the mountain stream you camped next to. Percolate it over your morning fire, then sip steaming cup after cup while watching the sun come up over the mountains.
That there, except for the percolator part. Old and battered coffee pot, no guts in it. Boil the creek water and dump in a big handful of grounds, let it boil a few seconds more and take it off the fire. Let it sit until the grounds start sinking, and pour a cupful. Spit out whatever grounds stick in your teeth. Where I come from it was known as cowboy coffee.

You poor wretch.. There MUST be a 12-step program somewhere in the Metroplex!
Withdraw by switching to McDonald's coffe. It's actually pretty good, at least here in Canada.

The company I work for about 5 years ago had a Jura. The best coffee machine I've ever used.
Ours had a La Spaziale. If I didn't pull the shots and steam the milk then I won't drink it.

Sad but true!

Now Peets... that is some really foul, bitter coffee. And the grocery store cafe next to the gym switched to the wretched stuff.

Giving up my Keurig habit, new small drip coffee maker under the tree. Keurig is too weak and too expensive for me. Will have to wait a few minutes for the first cup, but after that, no wait.

I like my keurig when I just want a single cup. I long gave up the kcups though in favor of reuseable filters mostly because of cost. I have an old drip pot for everything else. Might try getting into the pour over scene next.

That there, except for the percolator part. Old and battered coffee pot, no guts in it. Boil the creek water and dump in a big handful of grounds, let it boil a few seconds more and take it off the fire. Let it sit until the grounds start sinking, and pour a cupful. Spit out whatever grounds stick in your teeth. Where I come from it was known as cowboy coffee.

Yep.

But if you sprinkle just a little cold water on top while the coffee is still steaming, most of those remaining grounds will settle to the bottom.

Is it just an acquired taste or do people actually like flavor of it? I love the way it smells, but hate the way it tastes. Way too bitter for my liking, yet I can eat kale with no problem...weird.
There’s slot of things like that and also the opposite;)

I hated it for years until I got used to drinking it in business situations. I acquired the taste. I roast my own beans, primarily from my favorite plantation I've visited in Kona.

Never thought much of coffee until I entered the service. Then I realized a cup or three at 0430 got the lights lit a little faster so to speak.

Black and strong is good with me.

I've been drinking coffee since I was about 9, and drinking it every day since I was about 14. I don't recall ever not liking it.

I started my first job when I was 9. I lived a few doors away from a sweatshop and worked an informal after-school job in their shipping department. I pulled last-minute "emergency" orders that had arrived after the regular shipment had already gone out, packed and labeled them for shipping to the retailers, and helped load them onto the truck.

It was about three hours of fast-paced work; but it wasn't especially strenuous. The average slip was only for a few coats, so the individual boxes rarely weighed more than 10 or 15 pounds. But I had to keep moving.

The manager was a fellow named Charlie who was a really nice guy. I know some people would disagree simply because he was employing a little kid in a sweatshop's shipping department, but it was a different era. Hiring kids to do informal odd jobs after school was neither unusual nor frowned upon. Charlie paid me $2.00 / hour, which was well over the minimum wage back then, in cash, from his own pocket.

Anyway, once the truck was loaded up and gone, Charlie and I would relax and have a cup of coffee. That was my introduction to America's national beverage. I drank it black because Charlie drank it black, my dad drank it black, and every other man I knew drank it black. Milk and sugar were for women and sissies.

In retrospect, I suppose the fact that I liked Charlie was part of the reason I liked coffee. I don't remember ever being put off by the taste, but I was 9. It must have seemed bitter at first. But I don't remember thinking that at the time. I liked the fact that I was being treated more-or-less as an adult, and enjoying a cup of coffee after work was part of that.

I started drinking coffee every morning when I started high school. I lived in Brooklyn and the school was in Queens. It took a bit over an hour to get there by subway. My chances of getting a seat on the train increased, and the chances of getting stuck in a delay decreased, if I started the trip before 6:00 a.m.; so that's what I did. I left the house at 5:45, picked up a cup of coffee to go at a deli on the way to the train station, and drank it on the way to school.

Once I got to school -- an hour early -- I would have breakfast at a diner near the school. Two eggs, bacon, toast, juice, and another cup of coffee cost $0.75 back then. That's probably why my teachers always wrote things like "bright-eyed" and "energetic" on my report cards. I was already wired on caffeine when I showed up for class.

And then there was my time in the service, where coffee was considered one of the food groups. Mid-watch coffee in particular was of notorious potency. That was followed by college, during which I worked a swing shift at JFK to pay the bills that the VA didn't pay. Airports are also places where strong coffee can be had at any time, day or night, if one knows where to look for it.

In short, I doubt there's been a day since I started high school when I didn't drink coffee. It's a drug: and as with all drugs, addicts always figure out ways to get their fixes. Even my recent generator purchase and installation was motivated largely by the fact that it would make it easier to make coffee during power outages.

As for coffee itself, I prefer dark roasts, either drip or espresso. I've also been known to enjoy cappuccino from time to time. I don't roast the beans myself because my experiments in that hobby yielded less-than-wonderful results; but I do grind it fresh for every pot.

One thing I've learned about coffee is that like wine, the price has little to do with the quality. The Member's Mark coffees sold at Sam's Club (and their equivalents at BJ's and Costco) are actually very good, despite their low prices. Death Wish coffee, on the other hand, is good -- but not good enough to justify a price tag of about $20.00 / pound.

My "regular" coffee is Member's Mark French roast. I also keep lighter roasts on hand for an occasional change of pace or for guests who prefer them. Anything else I have is usually a gift from people who buy me coffee either because they mooch mine all the time, or because they don't know what else to buy me for my birthday or Christmas. It's all good. I like some coffees better than others, but I've never met one I hated.

Rich

Last edited:
Never thought much of coffee until I entered the service. Then I realized a cup or three at 0430 got the lights lit a little faster so to speak.

Black and strong is good with me.

I didn’t know you served, Bill. Right on!

When I was a student pilot I was behind a guy at the FBO counter, waiting my turn to sign out an airplane.

Turns out he was a student, too, and a doctor. His phone rang, from the one side of the coversation I could hear, it was a patient complaining about hand or wrist pain from surgery the day before or earlier that day.

"... the pain is because of xxx, it will subside in yyy hours."

"... the headaches? Drink three cups of extra strong coffee...Yes I'm serious...You are a coffee drinker, aren't you?...And you were told to not drink coffee before surgery, weren't you?...Drink some ccoffee, you are having caffeine withdrawals."

After reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that I've apparently have never had a good cup of coffee and I never knew Dan Thomas was a Canuck.

I've caught a sad. :(

Back