Want a Cessna 170

Nice plane for like 7k or less

Nice plane for like 7k or less
Probably will go cheap.
In parts, it's probably 25k
A good fuselage is 10k
wings 5k each.
engine 10k, even with a strike
plus the little stuff, a double strut is 1k each.

But as a plane, with that on the logs/NTSB it’s a 18k plane in great shape, max 22 if you find a sucker

But as a plane, with that on the logs/NTSB it’s a 18k plane in great shape, max 22 if you find a sucker
You probably haven't kept up with the 48 170 market.

The 170 buyers all know they've been on their backs, and they don't care.

ooooh, it's polished, it's got history, and it flys great, gimme that.

You probably haven't kept up with the 48 170 market.

The 170 buyers all know they've been on their backs, and they don't care.

ooooh, it's polished, it's got history, and it flys great, gimme that.

It’s got a metalized wing. Even without the prop strike, it will never fetch the prices that the restored rag wings will get.

You goanna buy it Tom? Looks like a nice project for you and it is a pretty plane!

Listing says Lycoming, but I don't see any pushrod tubes on top so I'll guess it's a Continental C-145 as originally equipped.

document linked above disagrees ... ???
And the FAA registry disagrees with that. It would be a really odd bird with a Lyco!
upload_2018-12-14_9-43-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-14_9-42-8.png
    upload_2018-12-14_9-42-8.png
    238.9 KB · Views: 8
I know of several aircraft that have a Lycoming upgrade, and that data base did not show the change.

as pictured, it is a C-145-A with fuel pump required by the 48 170, note the two hoses on the front right side of the engine. not having the 180 horse upgrade does devalue the aircraft.

still a nice flyer :) at a good price, and with the 0-300 no requirement for engine tear down, TCM sets its requirement on a SB not mandatory in part 91.

let your conscience be your guide :)

thanks for the clarification of Conti vs Lyc ... I didn't post to argue - I just couldn't tell what it was by looking.

only AD compliance is required it's a lycoming.

Who cares.

You’re saying with how hard that thing got pranged, regardless of the FAR, you wouldn’t do a tear down? Personally my life is worth more than a tear down, I’d say at the very least if you don’t do a proper tear down just don’t take any pax up in it.

only AD compliance is required it's a lycoming.
You'd be a nut job not to do a tear down after a strike like that imo. Might be worth it though if you could pick it up for a good price. It would make a nice airplane!

You'd be a nut job not to do a tear down after a strike like that imo. Might be worth it though if you could pick it up for a good price. It would make a nice airplane!
You'd have to get it very cheap. What does an overhaul cost? The only year of 170 with a fabric wing was 1948 and someone screwed that up by metalizing it. The panel looks terrible and isn't even close to original. It has an old radio. We can't see the interior. And top that off, if you want a 1948, you can get a nice one for $28K. I love guys who want to buy a plane like this and make it their own. They do all the work, then I come in an buy it for less than they have in it!

For what it’s worth, although a 337 for an engine STC gets filed with the aircraft registry folks, they don’t use the info on it to update the info in the database. It simply gets scanned and uploaded to that aircraft’s file.

You'd have to get it very cheap. What does an overhaul cost? The only year of 170 with a fabric wing was 1948 and someone screwed that up by metalizing it. The panel looks terrible and isn't even close to original. It has an old radio. We can't see the interior. And top that off, if you want a 1948, you can get a nice one for $28K. I love guys who want to buy a plane like this and make it their own. They do all the work, then I come in an buy it for less than they have in it!

That’s the thing, if you’re going to do something like this unless it’s going to be your “forever” airplane it’s not a good deal.

And for “forever” airplane money I’d want a rag wing too.

There is a ground looped 182 TW conversion on ebaymotors right now that is a decent buy depending on how deep the damage goes.

Total cost fora overhaul is about 22k
With a 0-300 it is not required. Dial out the crank flange and go.
That lower end is bullet proof.
Owners that do restore, you ain't going to have a chance to buy.
You can always find excuses to not buy, but you'll not find a 170 that can be bought at this price even when they can be found.
Find me one at 28k that could be made to be as good as this one at the same money.

I want a 170, ready to fly for $25,000 with GPS and at least one VOR needle.
Why in hell would you want a boat anchor radio when a iPad does better?
170s any year fly better when they are light, IMHO dump every thing in the radio rack, replace with a ADSB compliant transponder, and a Val-Com 2000 and a iPad.

Teach me. Is the iPad equally reliable as a Garmin panel mount? Use it a Stratus to get ADS-B?

Why in hell would you want a boat anchor radio when a iPad does better?
170s any year fly better when they are light, IMHO dump every thing in the radio rack, replace with a ADSB compliant transponder, and a Val-Com 2000 and a iPad.

If you ever have to shoot a approach I’d be less than comfy trying to shoot a IAP with my iPad, frankly for that plane I’d just toss in a simple navcom and one ILS head and a basic six pack, not a real IMC rig, but a stuff happens panel, if that makes sense.

If you ever have to shoot a approach I’d be less than comfy trying to shoot a IAP with my iPad, frankly for that plane I’d just toss in a simple navcom and one ILS head and a basic six pack, not a real IMC rig, but a stuff happens panel, if that makes sense.

That's what I want minimum.

@Tom-D

So am I getting this correctly?: Pilot has a prop strike then calls insurance. They total it since the engine rebuild and propeller cost are higher than the insured value. Now insurance is auctioning it off.

The cowl appears to be sitting in the hangar if you look in the background. The engine has to be torn down, right? You are joking about flying it home with just a prop?

It’s pretty, hard to see the cowl and the metal wing wouldn’t be my top choice, the panel isn’t that bad if everything works, just toss in a navcom and ILS head, maybe a skybeacon for ADSB if you live in a area that needs it, but DAMN that’s one heck of a prop strike!

Back