Niacin flush

Rushie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Rushie
My doctor told me to start taking 500mg of niacin a day to improve my cholesterol.

Wow! Instant sunburn!

I wish I'd known about this stuff when I was a kid. I could have faked scarlet fever and stayed home from school.

Niacin is wondrous stuff! I use it to neutralize the ethanol in the mogas I burn in my plane.

Should stop in a few days, but if not and still bothering you, split the tablet and take half as normal and the second part a few hours later.

Few years back tried Niacin - tried splitting dose, taking w meals, taking after aspirin, slowly increasing dose, etc, etc.
Never could tolerate the flush.
Most of my patients couldn’t either. It’s a shame....effect on lipids is noteworthy: lowers LDL, raises HDL, lowers triglycerides.

I used it a number of years ago, take it right before bed, then the flush doesn't matter. My Dr. at the time claimed the no flush doesn't work, or no where near as well.

Have you tried "no flush" niacin? I

I used it a number of years ago, take it right before bed, then the flush doesn't matter. My Dr. at the time claimed the no flush doesn't work, or no where near as well.

Yeah I hear the no flush stuff doesn't work on the cholesterol. It has to be the active form of nicotinic acid.

I guess I can tolerate it.

My doctor told me to start taking 500mg of niacin a day to improve my cholesterol.

Wow! Instant sunburn!

I wish I'd known about this stuff when I was a kid. I could have faked scarlet fever and stayed home from school.
Yeah. The first time I took it, I thought I was going to burst into flames.
Use "no flush" niacin. It's less exciting.

No flush niacin helps. I tell my pts to avoid fatty food ingestion prior to use. It younhave pizza and take niacin later you will flush hard. Just skip those days. Pizza or niacin. Not both. Lol

I take 1000 mg each night. I get the flush now and then. And there doesn't seem to be any rime or reason to when, either. That, and two other meds and my cholesterol is OK.

No flush niacin helps. I tell my pts to avoid fatty food ingestion prior to use. It you have pizza and take niacin later you will flush hard. Just skip those days. Pizza or niacin. Not both. Lol

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to give that a shot (or at least see if there is a correlation for me).

Back