Rough River Kentucky Fly-in 2019 - April 26-28

So I don't get on here much...I let Tiger do most of the talking on here on our behalf. After reading this you may understand why. More of a facebook gal (#oldschool). Here is my two cents for what it's worth...2 cents I am guessing. Anyway, I liked Rough River much better. I was sooooo tempted to stay at the hotel as it was hot as balls that particular weekend we went. There was some big event in town I want to say and they were charging around $180/night. Sooo...tent it was! I am guessing it will be off season in April so the rates would be lower than this. They have a really nice beach to cool off at so there is always that. Tiger can attest...I have like a half a degree comfort level when it comes to temperature so this seemed to keep me happy. The restaurant was really good there. In fact several people fly in just to eat there. I'm not much for rules so if there was A no booze allowed sign somewhere...I didn't see it. Even if I had, I would have ignored it. We were the only ones camping there that weekend and we pretty much made the airport our own little room for relaxing. If I recall I wasn't the only one partaking in the consumption of the adult beverages @tawood . I think i would still take the bikes there though. Just easier and plus if you need to go into a town there is one about 5-10 minute flight away. I know this because I forgot my pillow and shoes so off to Walmart we went but that trip requires a bike for sure. So there you have it...the female perspective. You are welcome :)

She said 'hot as balls'. I like her already

How’s rough river lookin? Didja tell ‘em (warn em) we’re comin in April?

I did actually, but only the driver. The shuttle service was quick, as the resort is only about 1000-1500 ft. away from the lodge.
Quick link for convenience if anyone wants to scope out the runway/layout of the land. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6096936,-86.5044542,1685m/data=!3m1!1e3
Two sets of cottages.
One is the 'loop' about midfield to the east of the runway. The cottages are somewhat similar to Ky Dam. Some pretty big steps...so if that is an issue for anyone, they may prefer the lodge when booking.
Looks like there could be some grass tie-down space if needed. The sign does say airport/plane camping allowed.
Marina is fairly close to south end of runway....as is the second set of cottages, which we didn't drive to.
Showers/restrooms at the airport building look good enough.
Restaurant is about half size of Ky Dam.

Overall, it's probably not quite as nice as Ky Dam, but I didn't have such a good time because we were at Ky Dam....

Edit: btw, it's a dry county, (other than the water), but 6-10 miles away or a very quick flight there are provisions.

So... Is the plan still 4/26-4/29/2019 at 2I3? Might want to update the OP with the latest so it's easy to find.

Sure. As mentioned before, I'll already be off work the weekend before and the weekend after that one, so obviously one of those would be somewhat better for me, but I can take some vacation days for that weekend if it better suits the group. I can't remember what all was discussed, but if I recall, there were compelling reasons for doing it the weekend you said. Therefore, whatever.

Just keep in mind that 4/21/2019 is Easter Sunday - might give quite a dip in the participation if we chose that weekend.

@OkieFlyer has to participate though - if need be with Celine... :D

Just keep in mind that 4/21/2019 is Easter Sunday - might give quite a dip in the participation if we chose that weekend.

Both Palm Sunday and Easter can be an issue, I'd personally prefer the weekend after Easter.

Dude. I can't unsee that.
giphy.gif

I'm in, unless work interferes! Lodge room booked.

Ok the dates have been misquoted a couple times I think. We are set on 4/26 to 4/29 right?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I just want to know one thing. How many of the “I’m in” posters will have their instrument ratings by then? Kind of lonely being the only one on the ramp.

Ok the dates have been misquoted a couple times I think. We are set on 4/26 to 4/29 right?

Yes, those are still the dates, no “misquoting” excuses!

Lance, if you like I can tie the motor home down next to you in the ramp!!!

I just want to know one thing. How many of the “I’m in” posters will have their instrument ratings by then? Kind of lonely being the only one on the ramp.
I might have it....

My written expires at the end of April so I need to get on it.
Cirrus is getting an overhaul though. Hopefully they get the engine put back on in time for me to cram IR training.

If not, I will take it as a sign I am supposed to be a VFR guy.

I am unsure if I am going to make it. I have to have a bone and tissue graft done which is going to require significant recovery time, SevenDeltaSierra is going bye-bye and in May I'm leaving the country to go fly airplanes in South Africa.

Back