Be careful what you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.
Is it legal for anyone to use any of the information on the boards without special permission from the Management? My understanding is that they should have total control over the content?

Hi everyone.
Is it legal for anyone to use any of the information on the boards without special permission from the Management? My understanding is that they should have total control over the content?
Your understanding is wrong...

Click on "Terms and Rules" at the bottom right corner of the page.

Huh, what makes you think that? This is a public board and the posts here are in search engines. There is nothing that mandates confidentiality or even gives you a reasonable expectation of such.

One of the best aviation forums out there is BeechTalk. One of the things that’s makes it so good is that the use of real names is required. IMHO most forums , including this one, would be better with this rule.

What's the best forum is always going to be a matter of opinion, of course. That said, I do agree there's an inherent benefit to a forum when people use their real names.

Screen names or handles also let people express some of their personality, though. If you go back through the list of people who've been banned on here (vacation vs. permaban) I think you wouldn't find a correlation that states using one's real name changes the probability of being banned. IOW, people will be who they are.

Wow talk about a fishing expedition! That is insane that they can ask for someone to open up completely there entire digital life/privacy.
It's not quite that simple. The process of production and analysis is expensive and many courts will insist on a justification showing some level of both need for the information and the ability to get the same information less cost. Plus, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

So these kinds of broad requests tend to result in objections with a judge or magistrate deciding whether it's important enough to the case, whether the information can be obtained in a less intrusive and costly way, and if it can't, who should bear the financial burdens of production.

Last edited:
My reel name is Stormy Daniels. Try finding me by Google. I show up on the 94th page.

I know a guy who kidnaped his six year old six weeks prior, employed by the FAA (Never removed or certs pulled), wanted by the police, who crashed my airplane killing both...who knew...everyone but our club...yeah I know all about not talking about it...

@Tom-D Okay, I'll bite (if someone hasn't already) What court? what post? what happened?
I'm not at liberty to tell you, point of the post is,, a lot of people can see what you post beside the members here.

My suggestion to the board, make a requirement to be a logged in member before you can see anything. ala. FB.

One of the best aviation forums out there is BeechTalk. One of the things that’s makes it so good is that the use of real names is required. IMHO most forums , including this one, would be better with this rule.
And there post are only viewable to registered users (which is nice and annoying at the same time. Haha)Though im sure you can lie about your real name.

I think that old subforum-which-will-not-be-spoken-of was hidden from internet searches.

I think that old subforum-which-will-not-be-spoken-of was hidden from internet searches.

The Spin Zone was "opt-in" so it wasn't searchable or even viewable unless you were a member who had specifically opted in. When I first joined (6 B.E.E. - 6 years Before Eman Era) the Spin Zone was similar to how "The Book Club" is now, a subforum of Hangar Talk. The MC changed it to an opt-in because there were some folks who "couldn't look away from the train wreck" which let it spill over more easily into the rest of the forum. Making it opt-in reduced that since you had that extra barrier to see it in the first place, but it still spilled over quite a bit. Thus, it got banhammered.

The Spin Zone was "opt-in" so it wasn't searchable or even viewable unless you were a member who had specifically opted in. When I first joined (6 B.E.E. - 6 years Before Eman Era) the Spin Zone was similar to how "The Book Club" is now, a subforum of Hangar Talk. The MC changed it to an opt-in because there were some folks who "couldn't look away from the train wreck" which let it spill over more easily into the rest of the forum. Making it opt-in reduced that since you had that extra barrier to see it in the first place, but it still spilled over quite a bit. Thus, it got banhammered.

so, the bookclub is the new spin zone? WOOHOOO spread the word!!!!

so, the bookclub is the new spin zone? WOOHOOO spread the word!!!!

tenor.gif

One of the partners in our law firm was formerly an insurance defense attorney. Going to the claimants' FB page first thing was S.O.P. in his former practice, and for the insurance companies he worked for. They want to harvest whatever they can online as soon as possible, in case the claimant later starts deleting things.

Also seems to be SOP in anything from fraud to murder investigations . While people may not post about the crime itself, it's a tool to establish social relationships and get high quality photographs of suspects and their typical clothing. Between that and the mass murderer they caught using '23 and me', it's a brave New world out there.

My suggestion to the board, make a requirement to be a logged in member before you can see anything. ala. FB.

That doesn't stop much...

... And I tried, for a long time, to get the MC to allow for one subforum that would require login and not be crawl-able so that people could share stories that they might not want crawled. Alas, it never happened. And, it's better for PoA to be "all on" than "all off" when it comes to search engines.

And there post are only viewable to registered users (which is nice and annoying at the same time. Haha)Though im sure you can lie about your real name.

Not true, I don't think. I know attachments on BT can't be seen by non-members, but I'm pretty sure I read plenty of posts there before I registered... And it was the attachments that finally got me to sign up.

The idea of requiring one to have to have a login in order to even view content is one of the dumbest things a website can do. If I can’t at least view the majority of the content on a website, what would encourage me to join it? Why would I waste my time creating a user account only to find out the place sucked? Now in order to post comments and view possible member exclusive content is a good use of an user ID. But to just view general content? Stupid. Membership numbers would be much lower.

Hi everyone.
My understanding is that the only "total control" is the right to control what content is displayed on the Web site.

Content on the red board and the purple board is only viewable by members, and one of the consequences appears to me to be a lot less activity than here.

The idea of requiring one to have to have a login in order to even view content is one of the dumbest things a website can do. If I can’t at least view the majority of the content on a website, what would encourage me to join it? Why would I waste my time creating a user account only to find out the place sucked? Now in order to post comments and view possible member exclusive content is a good use of an user ID. But to just view general content? Stupid. Membership numbers would be much lower.
Simply because when the member shows their ID they are much more careful of what they say. because there is consequences.

Simply because when the member shows their ID they are much more careful of what they say. because there is consequences.

While I see merit in your second post that I quoted above, it was the first one that I objected to. That’s why I like boards to be open viewing but restricted posting.

That's how various other forums are and honestly, I don't think it's a bad idea, but it's not like it would privatize anything. Only takes a minute to create an account for anyone who had a motive.

That's how various other forums are and honestly, I don't think it's a bad idea, but it's not like it would privatize anything. Only takes a minute to create an account for anyone who had a motive.

Perhaps require a copy of a pilot cert or something?

Perhaps require a copy of a pilot cert or something?
That actually wouldn’t be a bad idea if you think about it. Basically like those airline boards that require an employee ID number. It would curb a lot of the riff raff but the lowly students wouldn’t be able to pop in for advice.

Pro’s and Con’s

That actually wouldn’t be a bad idea if you think about it. Basically like those airline boards that require an employee ID number. It would curb a lot of the riff raff but the lowly students wouldn’t be able to pop in for advice.

Pro’s and Con’s

Student pilot cert?

Ever since I was (unsuccessfully) sued over stuff I posted online, I've been cautious....

Ron Wanttaja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back