Possible bird strike

Looks possible...

I’d wait til the final NTSB report comes out just to be sure.

Have any of you ever had a bird strike in a GA plane? I would imagine that's pretty scary.

There's a YouTube video I'm sure several of you have seen where a guy has a bird strike in his Saratoga. It is pretty dramatic. He just happened to be filming when it happened. Just search Piper Saratoga bird strike.

Hit a bat in a Super Viking one night. Does that count?
Didn’t even know it till the next day when I found his wing plastered to the leading edge during preflight.

Didn’t even know it till the next day when I found his wing plastered to the leading edge during preflight.
It counts in my book. But thankfully it was a non-issue for you.

Hell no, that doesn't count. What are you, batty??

upload_2018-12-13_15-7-16.jpeg

Bug strike!!

Have any of you ever had a bird strike in a GA plane? I would imagine that's pretty scary.

I had a bird strike shortly after rotation. It just hit the strut. I made a trip around the pattern and back to the ramp to inspect the plane. There was blood on the strut but no damage. I then went ahead with the flight.

Not to be contentious, and not to ruffle any feathers, but ornithologists generally refer to a "bill" on birds; differentiation as "beaks" generally refers to the pointed structure more common in songbirds, etc. (it is a lay term (Oh! a pun by accident!). And besides, if the birds couldn't get around the plane, why didn't they just duck? Yeet!
What happens after you have a duck dinner in a fancy restaurant?

They bring you the bill.

:p

Talked to a guy cleaning the bird remains off his cowl - he said he didn't know that he had hit anything until he saw the mess after landing.

I had a huge loon dart right in front of me on final, close enough i could easily see the spots... My girlfriend thought it was pretty!

That had to be a hell of a scary few seconds as it happened then intense rest of final after going through that flock.

Now a semi serious question... Would having a prop or two hanging in the wind be preferable to a jet engine sucking up the birds?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Have a friend that hit an egret in his T-28. Wasn’t hard to spot the soccer ball sized hole in the leading edge.

Talked to a guy cleaning the bird remains off his cowl - he said he didn't know that he had hit anything until he saw the mess after landing.
Must have been a fairly small bird if he didn't know it. I would think a larger bird such as a seagull, duck, falcon, eagle, egret, etc, you would definitely know it. But not all bird strikes are the same, obviously.

I had a huge loon dart right in front of me on final, close enough i could easily see the spots... My girlfriend thought it was pretty!

That had to be a hell of a scary few seconds as it happened then intense rest of final after going through that flock.

I have loons dart in front of me all the time...they’re called Washington drivers...

We have loons in NH, they are big birds, I seldom see them flying though.

Now a semi serious question... Would having a prop or two hanging in the wind be preferable to a jet engine sucking up the birds?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Turboprop, 100%. I have 1st hand experience with birdstrikes and engine FOD ingestion on both T-props and turbines (turbojet in my case), the propeller installations are orders of magnitude more resilient to bird strike, ingestion. I'll take the prop every day of the week and twice on sunday.

On the -38 my #1 turbine compressor-stalled upon partial ingestion. I managed to recover it and avoid flameout, and merely did a precautionary single engine approach with the victim engine at low power, and all was well. I never did talk to MX after the fact to see the extend of damage, but I suspect some blades were trashed. It's bad when you don't even ask, knowing it's just a Tuesday around here when it comes to engine damage and birds. I've seen engines completely seize and trashed, which would certainly get my attention. My incident was frankly uneventful and anti-climatic by comparison, which to be fair, both me and family members much prefer :D.

I had multiple bird strikes through the prop arc in the Tex II. LOL That was really uneventful. It was like throwing a down pillow into a wood chipper. "Poof...hey you heard that? No? Ok moving on" :D. 4 blades of Freedom as we call it. That Hartzell industrial chicken de-boner is a sight to behold. "Built on Honor" stamped on the blade roots. 'Murica. :rockon:
upload_2018-12-14_12-47-39.png

There's a YouTube video I'm sure several of you have seen where a guy has a bird strike in his Saratoga. It is pretty dramatic. He just happened to be filming when it happened. Just search Piper Saratoga bird strike.
We were at about 1000 feet and climbing in the Bo, so our airspeed wasn't all that high; maybe around 100kts, when a buzzard hit our left wing. We heard and felt a definite thump. When we landed, there was a slight dent in the leading edge, some feathers stuck in some of the rivets and seams and a little blood on the wing. We just cleaned it up. The dent is barely noticeable.

I always wondered if that bird hit anyone on the ground, and what they might have thought about it.

Turboprop, 100%. I have 1st hand experience with birdstrikes and engine FOD ingestion on both T-props and turbines (turbojet in my case), the propeller installations are orders of magnitude more resilient to bird strike, ingestion. I'll take the prop every day of the week and twice on sunday.

On the -38 my #1 turbine compressor-stalled upon partial ingestion. I managed to recover it and avoid flameout, and merely did a precautionary single engine approach with the victim engine at low power, and all was well. I never did talk to MX after the fact to see the extend of damage, but I suspect some blades were trashed. It's bad when you don't even ask, knowing it's just a Tuesday around here when it comes to engine damage and birds. I've seen engines completely seize and trashed, which would certainly get my attention. My incident was frankly uneventful and anti-climatic by comparison, which to be fair, both me and family members much prefer :D.

I had multiple bird strikes through the prop arc in the Tex II. LOL That was really uneventful. It was like throwing a down pillow into a wood chipper. "Poof...hey you heard that? No? Ok moving on" :D. 4 blades of Freedom as we call it. That Hartzell industrial chicken de-boner is a sight to behold. "Built on Honor" stamped on the blade roots. 'Murica. :rockon:
View attachment 69940

Reminds me of this....haha

Our 172 had a hawk take out the windscreen. Basically all of it. The hole made a great airscoop, took full power to maintain altitude.

I hit a goose, at night, left strut on a T-41. No real issue. I took a couple loaves of bread to the lake soon after, to feed the ducks and geese, in attonement. It's bad karma to kill another flyer, even by accident.

I have numerous bug strikes with every flight. Does that count? :D
Bugs..!! Flew through a swarm of bugs one summer day, covered about 75% of windscreen. I was concerned with the loss of clear site during landing but it worked out. Spend a couple hours washing the plane...:(

Bugs..!! Flew through a swarm of bugs one summer day, covered about 75% of windscreen. I was concerned with the loss of clear site during landing but it worked out. Spend a couple hours washing the plane...:(

There are bugs in Alaska..?? :lol::lol:

We were at about 1000 feet and climbing in the Bo, so our airspeed wasn't all that high; maybe around 100kts, when a buzzard hit our left wing. We heard and felt a definite thump. When we landed, there was a slight dent in the leading edge, some feathers stuck in some of the rivets and seams and a little blood on the wing. We just cleaned it up. The dent is barely noticeable.

I always wondered if that bird hit anyone on the ground, and what they might have thought about it.
Yikes.

Back