Private airports, cessnas and iPads

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
These phrases all have in one thing in common - misuse by genericizing.

Pilots pride themselves of using precise and concise language. It bugs us when news reporters refer to GA airports as "private airports" or refer to all GA airplanes as "Cessnas". Some are even bothered by the phrase pilot's "license".

Yet, I have found pilots to be most guilty when it comes to referring to a tablet as an iPAD. Not everything that looks rectangular with a thin display is an iPAD, nor is every cell phone an iPhone.

I just thought I'd vent a bit because I am tired of hearing about iPADs.

Pilots pride themselves of using precise and concise language. It bugs us when news reporters refer to GA airports as "private airports" or refer to all GA airplanes as "Cessnas". Some are even bothered by the phrase pilot's "license".

Yet, I have found pilots to be most guilty when it comes to referring to a tablet as an iPAD. Not everything that looks rectangular with a thin display is an iPAD, nor is every cell phone an iPhone.

You do realize your post is genericizing pilots and new reporters?

Are you seriously admitting to not being in the cool kids, er Apple mobile device users club? I mean, most of us who talk about an iPad, really do use an iPad, or an iPhone and when I say iThisorThat I'm not talking about the other OS. Yeah, I own a few Android devices, phone and tablet and I know how to use them, etc.

sounds like some serious first world problems.

That has not been my experience at all. Pilots (esp POA members) definitely let you know when they do NOT use an iPad, and tell you explicitly what they use instead ("I use a Samsung XYZ with a gajillion better features than an iPad at half the price; I just wish it had Foreflight.") They are the Apple haters, and that is their prerogative.

<=== As for me and my tablet, I still use Big Chief.

Most pilots here still call it a Commercial “rating”.
That doesn’t sound overly precise to me.

Walkman, ipod, tabloid, bikini, heroin, kerosene, escalator, aspirin, jet ski, jacuzzi, breathalyzer, etc ... This is a long list. All used to be a trademark names manufactured by a specific company. All became common nouns.

Interestingly, every tablet being called iPad does annoy me.

Really ?
You being bother by this sort of stuff ?

This stuff doesn’t even qualify as obnoxious first world problems ..

As indicated around here by use of phrases like “commercial rating” and “tailwheel rating”, among other things? ;)

I am reading the book "Radio Mastery for IFR pilots", and the author talks a lot about imprecise language that veteran pilots use, such as "with numbers", "instruments to ABC" and "rolling" just to sound cool, and I think this iPAD thing is also something that falls in that group.

I just assume everyone has an ipad and foreflight. others are wrong and should be shamed into correcting their actions. Plus I don't have a clue what a samsung tablet is even called.

I’m based at a private airport, own a Cessna and often have my iPad with me when I fly. What did I win?

You must be very rich to be able to fly around in a private jet from private airports while the rest of the hard working people are struggling through lineups at normal airports. This should not be allowed. We need a law to restrict such obscene display of wealth, immediately.

You must be very rich to be able to fly around in a private jet from private airports while the rest of the hard working people are struggling through lineups at normal airports. This should not be allowed. We need a law to restrict such obscene display of wealth, immediately.

No law required. My employer decided not to bestow anything close to wealth upon me. Lucky me.

Thomas Edison has been quoted, saying: “genius is merely attention to detail”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel ya man. My iPad identifies as a Surface. It's always connected via remote desktop to a Windows server desktop.

No law required. My employer decided not to bestow anything close to wealth upon me. Lucky me.
Most jobs, unless you are a pro athlete, don't pay enough to make you wealthy directly. You accumulate wealth by spending less than you make, and investing the difference over the long term in a well diversified portfolio of index funds that encompass the majority of asset classes.

That, and a good share of luck, is how I accumulated enough to buy a .38 and a map to all the local 7-11's.

I am not a financial advisor. I don't even take cash under the table.

Except with pilots, it may just be accurate, thanks to ForeFlight.

Last time we did a survey with the flying club to decide on an avionics purchase, out of our 30 members, one still used paper charts, one used a Garmin 496, and the other twenty-eight ALL used iPads with ForeFlight, even the guy who works for Google. 93% saturation rate... Impressive.

Walkman, ipod, tabloid, bikini, heroin, kerosene, escalator, aspirin, jet ski, jacuzzi, breathalyzer, etc ... This is a long list. All used to be a trademark names manufactured by a specific company. All became common nouns.

Kleenex, Hershey bar, and probably the biggest one of all: Coke.

Kleenex, Hershey bar, and probably the biggest one of all: Coke.

I've never heard anyone use "Hershey bar" to refer a candy bar. And while I've read that in some areas people refer to all soft drinks as "coke", I've never actually heard anyone do that (even after living in many places east of the Mississippi and traveling all over the US).

I've never heard anyone use "Hershey bar" to refer a candy bar. And while I've read that in some areas people refer to all soft drinks as "coke", I've never actually heard anyone do that (even after living in many places east of the Mississippi and traveling all over the US).
It was happening with Coke. But Coca Cola went through a phase when it aggressively policed its trademark. I'm thinking sometime in the 70s or 80s. If you've asked for a "Coke" in a restaurant and received, "sorry, we only carry Pepsi products" in reply, you are not hearing a concern for your taste sensitivities. It's a remnant of Coca Cola's campaign.

Although I refer to iPads as iPads and say tablet when being generic, my non-pilot wife refers to her Galaxy Tab A as an iPad.

I don't care. Genericization is Apple's problem, not mine.

In TX if you ask for a Coke you may get a Dr Pepper.

Brand names that are used generically? Band Aid. Crescent wrench.

...and the other twenty-eight ALL used iPads with ForeFlight, even the guy who works for Google.

Not surprising. Even on a Google campus you'll see a lot of Googlers carrying MacBooks for work. Hardware doesn't get a whole lot of respect there. I suspect they just treat it as a conduit for their software/data.

Back