4.4 Mag Earthquake in SE Tennessee

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I was half asleep and could feel my bed shaking and thought it was unusual. At first thought, it felt like my dog had jumped up and was rummaging through the covers, but then I realized in my half-comatosed state that it must be an earthquake.

Sure enough! The local news reported that a 4.4 magnitude quake occurred about 4am this morning and the epicenter was about 50 miles north of here. Some said they could feel it around the Atlanta area. Definitely unusual as we rarely, if ever experience an earthquake around here.

Woke me up as well, bed was shaking and a door rattling.

There was one somewhere near here about 7 years ago. I lived on the 3rd floor of an apartment building and remember sitting on the couch doing homework on the laptop when it started to shake. At first I figured it was just my plus size neighbor coming up the stairs only to later find out it was an earthquake.

Yep, bed shaking and door rattling. Also thought my dog was jumping on the bed. Not sure how some sleep thru it. It was easily recognizable as an earthquake. Second biggest in the area I believe. Reminded me of living in southern Cali again.

Woke me up in West Knoxville. It was a very gentle shaking, I'm surprised it woke me up.

2ot6dj.jpg

Weird...here in Michigan, I woke up at 4am thinking I heard thunder. I actually got up and looked out the window (at a starry sky) before going back to sleep...seems too far for me to have felt it. ?

I slept through it here in Atlanta. But then again, I slept through an aftershock in Haiti. :)

Southeast Tennessee - Are they sure it was an earthquake and not a still or meth lab blowing up?

We've had dozens of >4's in the past week. Aftershocks from the big one on Nov. 30th. They're still coming, roughly one per day.
I've slept through a few of them.
Mostly I've just eyed the nearest table and thought "five more seconds of this and I'm going under there."

We call 4.4s aftershocks up here in AK. Sure exciting regardless, right? I hope everything is holding up and y'all doing okay.

I know it’s kind of a joke to make such a big news story like it was yesterday, but this is about a once every 10 year event for GA. I’ve lived in Cali and experienced moderate quakes multiple times per year. I lived around the southeast for maybe 30 years and this is the first one I’ve felt. 2.0-3.0 are fairly common but a 4.4 is pretty rare.

I just wish it would’ve destroyed my hangar and put an end to my money pits!

I didn't even think you could feel a 4.4. I can't.

In Tokyo, there’s a science museum with an earth-simulation chair. It has buttons labeled 4, 5, and 6. You push a button, and your chair shakes to and fro. It’s kind of like the wind booth at Oshkosh where you choose a hurricane level.

I tried the earthquake chair when I was in Tokyo, and this turned out to be useful because that night there was a small earthquake nearby that woke me up as I lay in bed. It felt close to 4, and sure enough that’s how it was reported.

Recent calibration is a good thing.

I know it’s kind of a joke to make such a big news story like it was yesterday, but this is about a once every 10 year event for GA. I’ve lived in Cali and experienced moderate quakes multiple times per year. I lived around the southeast for maybe 30 years and this is the first one I’ve felt. 2.0-3.0 are fairly common but a 4.4 is pretty rare.

I just wish it would’ve destroyed my hangar and put an end to my money pits!

I said the same thing about our recent snow storm! ha

We were at the Gaylord (or whatever it is now) in Nashville and felt nothing. I wish I had been up and sitting on the balcony to see the lights sway.

Back