Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
My class 3 runs out this month, MY BFI expires next month Jan 2019
I logged 6.5 PIC last year.

I just turned 78

where to go from here?

Got a gent in his '80s at our place still teaching. Ex-military pilot including time in Starfighters. Built three from scratch, no kits, EABs, including a scale P-40 with an exact replication of the complicated retract gear. Did a first flight for the builder of a gorgeous Hatz biplane this spring, and then did the dual instruction in it. Teaches people to do stuff in RVs most didn't realize they were capable of.

Stay active as long as you can Tom. No reason to quit as long as you got your health and you still want to fly.

My class 3 runs out this month, MY BFI expires next month Jan 2019
I logged 6.5 PIC last year.

I just turned 78

where to go from here?

Only you can answer that. If you are still with it cognitively then keep going, otherwise you'll be sorry. If you feel it's time to stop, listen to that feeling and stop.

It isn’t all about ability, though, is it? It’s about desire. Is the reward worth the effort and expense? Those questions aren’t age related. I know lots of ex-pilots and ex-owners.

Keep going ,unless you’ve lost the desire. You can always go light sport.several of my friends are in your age bracket ,and their still flying.

04A013BF-93DC-4368-8E6E-92C99F19A38F.jpeg

If you love it then get at it. Be ****ed you only flew 6hours and do that a month or a quarter.

member of our club got his A&P for his 80th birthday, bought a Citabria and got his tailwheel endorsement for his 82nd. I had to ask him how he missed out on tailwheel, considering that was the conventional gear of his day. He said that the F-86 didn't come with a tail wheel.

And, Tom - I know you've got those already - my point is continue to pursue stuff you enjoy! (somewhat a note to self here)

Last edited:
Back