Thoughts on buying an Aeronca Sedan? ....

TreeTopFlyer83

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TreeTopFlyer83
Pros and cons guys/girls. Or any relative information on helping me to make an informed decision. I know the Sedan can fly 4 people and the Champ only 2. I know the Sedan is a side by side and the Champ is front seat, back seat. I know that the Sedan has a yoke where the Champ has a stick. Outside of that I do not know much about the Sedan but love the fact that it's side by side. Any information is appreciated in advance.

Last edited:
Pros and cons guys/girls. Or any relative information on helping me to make an informed decision. I know the Scout can fly 4 people and the Champ only 2. I know the Scout is a side by side and the Champ is front seat, back seat. I know that the Scout has a yoke where the Champ has a stick. Outside of that I do not know much about the Scout but love the fact that it's side by side. Any information is appreciated in advance.
You’ve got some other airplane mixed up with the Scout...it’s a two-seat tandem airplane.

Aeronca makes great stuff across the bord.

I’d also check out Stinson 108s and piper pacers

Wachu talkin' bout Willis? You got the wrong planes in your head.

You’ve got some other airplane mixed up with the Scout...it’s a two-seat tandem airplane.

Absolutely thinking about the Sedan, NOT the Scout. Was talking about a Scout before typing this up so I guess that's where it came from. Sorry for the confusion guys.

I believe the stock Sedan had the Continental O-300, which is 145hp. Some have larger engines and other back country mods though. The fuselage is steel tubing and fabric and wings are all aluminum, don't get one that's had the fuselage metalized, they look horrible.
Aeronca builds great little planes and I've always admired the Sedan and her lines.

If you're on FB ask questions there, some of the guys own Sedans and can help you out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/105851332789460/

Burl's Aircraft in Alaska has STC's and parts for them, he's the go to guy.
http://www.burlac.com/15ac_sedan.html

Oh yeah, the Champ has 'tandem' seating.

Another good buy that’s quite capable and often not much $$

1925px-Bellanca_14-19-2_cruisemaster_n7600e_built_1958_arp.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellanca_14-13

Here’s one

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...UISEMASTER&listing_id=2086984&s-type=aircraft

Sedans are cool but they're old. Tube airframe with lots of potential for needing attention. Really good performers with a Lycoming 0-360. No flaps. Burl will build you a brand new one if you have the checkbook for it!

Is it hand propped? Our old chief was and hot starts were no fun. But it always started on the first blade when cold.

I have the feeling parts would be hard to come by on something like that.

Depends on your goals and motivation towards it. The Stinson is a better airplane in my opinion and can be found cheaper than most Sedans. If you like the sedan because of its rareness then by all means go for it. I feel like you can get a nice pacer or Stinson for the same or less money.

Pros and cons guys/girls. Or any relative information on helping me to make an informed decision. I know the Sedan can fly 4 people and the Champ only 2. I know the Sedan is a side by side and the Champ is front seat, back seat. I know that the Sedan has a yoke where the Champ has a stick. Outside of that I do not know much about the Sedan but love the fact that it's side by side. Any information is appreciated in advance.
If you're serious about a sedan send me a PM and I'll connect you with a buddy who has tons of Sedan time and better knowledge of Sedans than anyone I've ever met.

Wow. 2000 hours on an60 yo plane!!
Many of these old aircraft didn't have recording tachs, their time was recorded in journey logs, and those are long gone.

Read the book “Wager with the Wind” Don Sheldon’s first plane was a Sedan and there are at least two or three chapters with his typical adventure tales in it.

Wow. 2000 hours on an60 yo plane!!
Years matter. Stuff happens. Airplane rot whether they're flown or not. I recently found massive mouse nests in a Viking wing, the same sort of wing as that 60-year-old airplane. Mouse deposits are not kind to wood or metal and can cause serious structural decay. If that wing is not well-sealed, rain and snowmelt finds its way in and fungal decay starts.

There are old airplanes with only a few hundred hours that have been trashed by time and weather and pests.

Years matter. Stuff happens. Airplane rot whether they're flown or not. I recently found massive mouse nests in a Viking wing, the same sort of wing as that 60-year-old airplane. Mouse deposits are not kind to wood or metal and can cause serious structural decay. If that wing is not well-sealed, rain and snowmelt finds its way in and fungal decay starts.

There are old airplanes with only a few hundred hours that have been trashed by time and weather and pests.
That was kind of my point. At best it flew 30-40 hours a year and probably spent some years flying a lot less. Engines and those type of airframes don’t fare well. Rather see higher time IMO.

That was kind of my point. At best it flew 30-40 hours a year and probably spent some years flying a lot less. Engines and those type of airframes don’t fare well. Rather see higher time IMO.

Old wives tale

Back