Thinking about the Multi

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
After getting about an hour in the right seat of a 414 about 6 months ago, I am seriously considering adding the multi rating. The local flying club has a known ice aztec on the line for $375/hr. Any tips to flying said airplane? Mostly asking @Ted DuPuis, but input from other aztec fliers is more than welcome

Don't crash it.

Aztecs don't like to let you crash, so that's pretty easy.

Hot starts are the biggest thing, check my thread in Maintenance Bay that includes hot start techniques. :)

I think the Aztec is one of the greatest planes to get your multi rating in. Go for it!

Frankly, I view the multi as more simple than getting ones complex, not sure what all the hype over it is about, It’s a weekend type of thing, just know the systems, maybe read up on the POH before showing up for class.

Don't crash it.

Aztecs don't like to let you crash, so that's pretty easy.

Hot starts are the biggest thing, check my thread in Maintenance Bay that includes hot start techniques. :)

I think the Aztec is one of the greatest planes to get your multi rating in. Go for it!

After the first of the year, I think I am going to.

@James331

Sounds like a plan. The complex was done in like 2 hours in an arrow, and I've probably logged better than half of my time in a bendy legged airplane :) Am hella excited to get started

You’ll need more hours to satisfy the insurance companies than you’ll need to get the rating.

The insurance minimums for the club are 10 hours in make and model, so figured the time doing the rating SHOULD satisfy that.

Frankly, I view the multi as more simple than getting ones complex, not sure what all the hype over it is about, It’s a weekend type of thing, just know the systems, maybe read up on the POH before showing up for class.
Tell that to the insurance underwriters.

I got mine in like 4 hours. So I would still need 6 more to rent :(

Tell that to the insurance underwriters.

Frankly I don’t get it, lots of other things I get, maybe I was a friggin ace at multi but I just don’t get how it’s complicated if you can handle any complex plane.

Got mine earlier this year. Pretty much a waste since the school doesn’t rent the Duchess and there’s no other school within driving distance. Not really an exciting airplane but a good learning experience nonetheless.

Getting ever harder to find a twin for rent, so that is a plus for the OP to build time and experience. I had to buy an Aztec to earn and use my multi. Thought I would keep it maybe 2 years and upgrade to something faster and sexier (twin Cessna pilots get all the girls - check out @Radar Contact videos if you don't believe me :cool: ). But just like @Ted DuPuis the more I fly it the more I enjoy the Aztec; it just works so well for the kind of flying I do. If I accidently get into a tight spot I know it's gonna get me on the ground safely. Planning some ADS-B concurrent panel upgrades for it now, including GPSS.

Just a side note, although the Aztec is one of the most capable piston twins out there in ice, Piper never secured FIKI certification for it. Piper directed its resources to securing it for the more "modern" Seneca instead...but regardless of the official paperwork I would never trade my Aztec for one of those in ice.

Frankly I don’t get it, lots of other things I get, maybe I was a friggin ace at multi but I just don’t get how it’s complicated if you can handle any complex plane.

Agree. But piston twins seem to attract a certain type of craziness for reasons I can't explain. In 2017 there were two piston twin accidents in my region. Both were double fatalities, both involved experienced instructors in the right seat, and after reading the final accident reports one cannot but conclude both were due to utter stupidity; and normalization of deviance. My insurance costs went up another 5% this year.

Last edited:
Back