Most annoying new phrase of 2018?

Being called "Dog". Not sure if the people calling you that know what an insult is is to be called Dog.

Technically, it's 'Dogg.' It's intended as an address of acceptance. "'Sup Dogg? What it be like? Yo, check it, I need to aks you something..."

Technically, it's 'Dogg.' It's intended as an address of acceptance. "'Sup Dogg? What it be like? Yo, check it, I need to aks you something..."

Yeah I thought "Dogg" was a compliment to men and "dog" was an insult to women. But I am far from up to date on slang.

I still don't like someone saying ''dude'' to me.

Back when I was much younger calling someone dude meant you wanted to fight.

“It is what it is”

Annoying last year. Worse this year. I don’t even know what it means!!!

"Different to..." That's so wrong. All of a sudden I'm hearing this everywhere. The correct phrase is "different from" not to. Things are similar TO and different FROM.

Just now I was watching David Attenborough's "Natural Curiosities" S2:E6 and he says:

"The Venus Fly Trap could move in a very different way to that of plant growth."

Arrggghh!!!! NO, NO, NO!

And then he says:

"The electrical discharge caused by an animal muscle contracting was almost identical to those signals attained by attaching electrodes to the flytrap."

Yes, he gets that one right, something is similar or identical TO something else.

What is going on these days with everyone saying different to instead of different from? It's new, I never used to hear this but now it's all over the place.

I still don't like someone saying ''dude'' to me.
Now his hat is on backwards,
He can show you his tattoos.
He is in the music business,
He is calling you "DUDE!"

Nauga,
who is grooming his poodle

"Haters will hate". I hear this phrase a lot when someone disagrees with someone, usually on a forum. It's a very immature way to express yourself and the first thing a snowflake will jump to when they're faced with an opposing view.

My dog calls me "dude" all the time.

Dude, I need to go outside.
Dude, I need some water.
Dude, I need a treat.

I think that's what she's saying. Her English is worse than mine, being a dog and all. But she is better looking than me!
IMG_0488.JPG

Never heard several of the words/phrases already mentioned. I guess I live under a rock or something.

Starting sentences with "So" has been a pet peeve of mine for years. It has become so frequently used that I even catch myself doing it from time to time, and I have to hate myself.

Equally annoying is ending sentences with "so". Happens a lot around here, but not new.

I hear "legit" used wayyyy too much.

I hate the phrase “Love on one another.” I hear pastors say it in church all the time and it sounds creepy.

At first, I was going to remind you that "love one another" is scripture, but then I noticed that "on" was thrown in there. Yeah, that sounds like we should go rub up on some fellow church folk.

Adulting tops the list.

Yeah I thought "Dogg" was a compliment to men and "dog" was an insult to women. But I am far from up to date on slang.
Author Joe Haldemann was researching slang for a story set in the 19th century, but couldn't use much of it because it sounded current/contemporary - chick, pig, etc. Some of it just runs cyclically it seems. Wait a bit, you'll be back in the loop!

Starting sentences with "So" has been a pet peeve of mine for years. It has become so frequently used that I even catch myself doing it from time to time, and I have to hate myself.

Equally annoying is ending sentences with "so".

So and then there's starting a sentence with not just "so" but also "and" and even also "then" so it's a triad of unnecessary introductory words adding nothing to the meaning of the statement, so...

ily and ilysm. Pronounced illy, and illy-sum. It's like they are afraid of saying all the words.

That being said, the phrase "that being said" is a totally unnecessary use of three words to begin the next paragraph. Really, as if one needs to exclaim that the very next sentence, statement, or paragraph really needs a phrase to explain that the aforementioned was just mentioned. WTF.

Oh, and not just this year, but everyday uttered at airports and in airliners: "once again" or "at this time" at the beginning of every damned PA!

"at the end of the day..." People who work with me often know I don't like that phrase because I've asked them to tell me when I use it without catching myself.
So... it's a bit of a game. <- see that?

Oh look: I used "myself" in a sentence. I hate the misuse of that word. "Please email John, Joe, Jack, and Myself." It's ME for heaven's sake.

Besides the usual misuse of "So..." "your" and "then," instead of "than," the most misused word is "that." When referring to people, the proper word to use is "who" or "whom." "That" refers to objects. Saying "people that do... whatever" is improper.
In general, the word "that" can usually be omitted without changing the meaning or structure of a sentence.

Uh... So that's that about "that."

"at the end of the day..." People who work with me often know I don't like that phrase because I've asked them to tell me when I use it without catching myself.
So... it's a bit of a game. <- see that?

Oh look: I used "myself" in a sentence. I hate the misuse of that word. "Please email John, Joe, Jack, and Myself." It's ME for heaven's sake.
Allow myself to introduce ... myself.

I googled yeet. I don't understand it yet. or perhaps I'll never understand it yeet!

Not new but “how you doing?” and likewise sayings as a greeting.

Do you have an hour to listen, or are you just saying hello? If you’re just saying hello, there’s a word for that. It’s called hello.

Do you have an hour to listen, or are you just saying hello? If you’re just saying hello, there’s a word for that. It’s called hello.
This reminds me of the reporter interviewing Katharine Hepburn just before she died.

REPORTER: "Miss Hepburn, how are you?"

KATHARINE HEPBURN: "Well, young man, do you want me to say 'I'm well', or do you want an organ recital?"

She was one classy lady.

That is a peeve of mine as well. When asked, I usually just say it as it is, e.g. lousy, thank you.

Back