Annoying blue circle

Vince R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Vince R
After the flight home on Thanksgiving, I put the plane in the hangar and went home feeling a little under the weather. Turned out I came down with a nasty cold and didn't fly again for maybe ten days.When I was finally ready to fly again, I went to the airport to find that one of my fuel drains had developed a leak, and now I have a nasty two foot wide blue circle from the puddle of 100LL drying on the floor of my hangar.

Anyone know an easy way to clean a stain like this?

After the flight home on Thanksgiving, I put the plane in the hangar and went home feeling a little under the weather. Turned out I came down with a nasty cold and didn't fly again for maybe ten days.When I was finally ready to fly again, I went to the airport to find that one of my fuel drains had developed a leak, and now I have a nasty two foot wide blue circle from the puddle of 100LL drying on the floor of my hangar.

Anyone know an easy way to clean a stain like this?
A Brake cleaner such as CRC spray can cleans almost anything petroleum based off of concrete.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Brak...MI_pik0fiR3wIVAw5pCh2OjQnCEAQYASABEgKQ-fD_BwE

On cement...... flood with acetone, wipe away with clean rags.

This is not your do all materials cleaner.

It's concrete.

Portland cement is one of the ingredients in concrete, along with aggregate, sand, and water.

Sprinkle a layer of floor-dry (cat litter) on it. Dampen the stuff with enough 100LL to wet the floor a little. Let it all dry. The litter will wick up the 100LL and the stain along with it.

Beware. It's a fire hazard doing that. Leave the door open. Wide open. Tom's idea of acetone might be safer, though I've found that 100LL cleans up 100LL the best.

Well, if it’s anything like the blue stain on an aircraft, it should disappear on it’s own in a couple weeks.

Opened my hangar door once to discover I had leaked 18 gallons over the course of a week. No one seemed to notice fuel running out the door.
That much blue is still there after 2 years. Could have been very bad.

Opened my hangar door once to discover I had leaked 18 gallons over the course of a week. No one seemed to notice fuel running out the door.
That much blue is still there after 2 years. Could have been very bad.
That was one "C" note that went in the trash.

Just wondering what type of insurance hanger owners carry. If there was a major accident in your hanger that destroyed adjacent hangers and aircraft would your policy cover it?

Back