Cleared as filed?

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
Was listening to CD frequency on LiveATC, and heard clearances that went like "N1234 cleared as filed, maintain 3000 expect ....". I thought the clearance must include a limit fix. If the airplane has multiple flight plans filed in the system would this not cause a potential problem?

Listen again, i think it should be cleared to [limit] as filed and that only the route should be replaced with "as filed."

Correct. clearance limit (cleared to...) is the second component of an IFR departure clearance.

Last edited:
On e, I filed 2 IFR courses. (I filed a second course due to a change in weather.) Called CD and got cleared to kxxx “as filed”. I called back and asked which as filed. CD asked which as filed do you want?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was listening to CD frequency on LiveATC, and heard clearances that went like "N1234 cleared as filed, maintain 3000 expect ....". I thought the clearance must include a limit fix. If the airplane has multiple flight plans filed in the system would this not cause a potential problem?
When the aircraft called for clearance the pilot indicated the destination, so CD didn't feel the need to repeat it, imo.

It’s always cleared as filed, or “I’ll take VFR flight following direct” ;)

It’s always cleared as filed, or “I’ll take VFR flight following direct” ;)
Lucky you. For me it's "cleared as.... (wait, what did I file again?)". ;)

The only thing one does file...direct

You get cleared as filed,then when your climbing out,they give you a new route.

When flying charter (a few years back...), not unusual for someone else to file the flight plan. So if I got a 'cleared as filed', I'd ask for a full route clearance "because I didn't do the filing." They would read the routing, no problem.

CAF still includes a clearance limit. “Cleared to Podunk airport as filed...” If you’re AF1 you don’t read the actual destination but it’s still a clearance limit.

Last edited:
The only thing one does file...direct
Well that depends. First off one should fuel for what they expect to get, not direct.
Second, direct is not always the quickest path. That said, you would need a somewhat advanced flight planning tool to calculate that.

When the aircraft called for clearance the pilot indicated the destination, so CD didn't feel the need to repeat it, imo.

Failure to include a CL probably violates a procedural order.

Perhaps he simply made a mistake. He gave the destination in the clearance before and the clearance after.

Failure to include a CL probably violates a procedural order.
Would this?

Clnc Del: "Aircraft calling for an IFR clearance to Toolydoo, say your call sign."

Aircraft calling: "That was Cessna 1234 X-ray, IFR to Toledo."

Clnc Del: "November 1234X-ray, cleared as filed...(etc.)"

I still remember my first IFR departure. Filed what I thought was a reasonable route. Get cleared (on the ground) for a completely different one. OK. Take off. Radar contact...and we have a new route for you advise when ready to copy. OK, ready. New Route. Wait a minute, this is what I filed for originally!

Would this?

Clnc Del: "Aircraft calling for an IFR clearance to Toolydoo, say your call sign."

Aircraft calling: "That was Cessna 1234 X-ray, IFR to Toledo."

Clnc Del: "November 1234X-ray, cleared as filed...(etc.)"

Doesn’t matter that the pilot mentioned his destination. That’s pretty much how CD / GD knows what their request is to begin with anyway. .65 specifically states clearance limit for an IFR clearance. Not clearance limit, unless the pilot already stated what their destination is. This is a perfect example of how an IFR departure clearance should go.

Or they tell you “I have a full route clearance advise ready to copy” then proceed to read you what you filed including reading out every turn on every airway in your route. Had that happen more than a few times.

Instead of V123 V345 V678

It’s v123 fix v123 fix v123 fix v345 fix v345.... and so on

When I asked was told it was “the computer at Center” that does that and if it changes what you filed in any way then it shows up on the strip as a new route when it pops out of the printer at the clearance delivery desk in the tower.

My favorite:

ROA 27K we have a new route for you, advise when ready to copy.
(grabs pen and paper) 27K: Ready to copy.'
ROA: 27K proceed direct culpeper (destination)

I needed to copy that down?

My favorite:

ROA 27K we have a new route for you, advise when ready to copy.
(grabs pen and paper) 27K: Ready to copy.'
ROA: 27K proceed direct culpeper (destination)

I needed to copy that down?
And they didn't give you a "cruise 17999"? Tsk tsk.

Yes it could. Controller was wrong not include the Clearance Limit. Pilots also have responsibilities to keep problems from happening. See AIM 5-2-6 a. 4. (a) and (b) with the notes

Yet another annoying pilot term: "Picking up" a clearance. How much does a clearance weigh?

Nevermind, you all can keep on shooting approaches, hitting fixes and busting altitudes...

"cleared to XYZ, via fly runway heading" always sounded grammatically incorrect to me, but that is what controllers say, so it must be correct.

Back