Logging Shuttle time?

lancie00

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
lancie00
These are the strange things I think about.

How do the astronauts log space shuttle time?

Aircraft Type? OV-103 (Orbiter Vehicle)
Aircraft Identification: Discovery
Route of Flight: Cape Canaveral -> Space
Number of landings: 0
Aircraft Category: MES (Multi Engine Space)
Cross country time: 66 times?

When do they stop logging? As soon as they unbuckle?

What if they stay up for 91 days. How do they get current so they can land?

Does the person in the right seat get to log SIC? Are they a required crew member?

I know, I need a life. :(

Since its a rocket and not covered under a type category going up i guess the dont log it.

But when it comes back down its a glider so....glider time from when they enter the atmosphere?

Is the shuttle even under the jurisdiction of the FAA?

I once was at a talk given by a NASA engineer. When asked whether the Shuttle was considered an aircraft or a spacecraft, he said, "Spacecraft, because if was an aircraft the FAA would have us painting numbers on it."

To extend the currency question to earthbound mortals....

If I take off with passengers while I’m current, do I have to land before I lose currency to be legal? Or is it the date the flight began?

On our application website, Space Shuttle is one of the drop down options for “Aircraft Flown.”

I’ve scrolled past that option many times! You ****ers never called me, though. :p :p

I’ve scrolled past that option many times! You ****ers never called me, though. :p :p
Hey, man... if it makes you feel any better, none of us like the applicant selection process. Don't get me wrong, all the new-hires I've flown with have been great, but it seems like we're missing out on some quality folks. Judging by your posts on here, we'd have been fortunate to have you, and you'd never have to buy a beer!

I once was at a talk given by a NASA engineer. When asked whether the Shuttle was considered an aircraft or a spacecraft, he said, "Spacecraft, because if was an aircraft the FAA would have us painting numbers on it."
Correct...so it’s basically like an ultralight.

Hey, man... if it makes you feel any better, none of us like the applicant selection process. Don't get me wrong, all the new-hires I've flown with have been great, but it seems like we're missing out on some quality folks. Judging by your posts on here, we'd have been fortunate to have you, and you'd never have to buy a beer!

Heh - it’s all good, man! At the time (about 10 years ago) there were a ton of people *far* more qualified than me trying like crazy to get on there. I did have a buddy on the inside (one of your 777 guys - awesome dude) trying to get me on, but at the time all my PIC was in business jets, and you guys put a large premium on big boy PIC.

So my path ended up going a different direction, but it sure would have been fun to swing some gear for you. :)

Since an aircraft is "a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air," it's clearly an aircraft. It's also a spacecraft.

Yeah, I think they just write "Flew space shuttle. End of logbook". After that, nobody is going to question them.

Better question - for the shuttle pilot, does all the simulator time count?

He was joking. NASA-operated airplanes are public-use and not regulated by the FAA. NASA may choose to put an N-number on their airplanes (and does for some) but that's their choice, not the FAA's.

I don't know about other services or civilians but at one time Navy & Marine shuttle crew maintained standard flight records for shuttle flights.

Nauga,
and his yellow sheet

The orbiter only becomes relevant to the FAA when it's below 60,000 feet.

Not so.... Salt Lake Center is zero to infinity. Learned that today chatting with a cfii/controller.

I guess the transmission would be: Salt Lake Center ... c ya!

The orbiter only becomes relevant to the FAA when it's below 60,000 feet.

There are a number of aircraft flying above FL600 (U-2, etc) on a regular basis that are very much still relevant to the FAA when they're up there.

Which is why you used the phrase incorrectly.

Actually, the alternate usage is correct and quite widely used. Language is a moving target; accepted meanings of words and phrases can and do change over time.

I think If I found myself working as a shuttle commander I would log my time however I wanted and not worry to much. To me it seems like one of those life accomplishments I would try to document as much detail as possible so I would be able to recall it all later... I might even try to bounce the landing just so I could log two.

Just because a lot of people incorrectly use a phrase does not, thus, make it a correct use.
Your statement is so random it made my head literally explode. ;)

Nauga,
generally specific

Irregardless, for all intensive purpose, I could care less.

My favorite related ones, especially for the written-word medium that is the internet, are the foreign phrases:

- "Milk toast" vs milquetoast
- "Wah lah" vs voilà
- "in mass" vs en masse

etc.

As always, words mean stuff.

I try not to be the grammar police, especially since it’s not necessarily my strong suit.

But mine peeves are:

Farther/further
Accept/except
Than/then

Plus many others too numerous to mention hers.

Irregardlessly, I’m sure you all could care less. ;)

Kitten Kaboodle.

"Decimated". Loved by most news services, misused by all.

Ron Wanttaja

Just because a lot of people incorrectly use a phrase does not, thus, make it a correct use.

But when the incorrect use becomes accepted, it does in fact become correct. Hard to get your head around, and Aristotle would be ****ed! ;)

Back