You are booked on a 5:00am Sunday flight from RDU...

Your idea that the sales side is cognizant of the operational side: that's so cute.

Honestly, good luck. Sucks to be scrambling when weather is involved.

That's a long way.

My daughter goes to school in State College, PA, we're in Atlanta. She was scheduled to fly out on the Friday before Thanksgiving, and on the day before, the mid atlantic got about eight inches of snow. Her flight on Friday was delayed two and a half hours, and she wasn't going to make her connection, and there was nothing open until Monday. I was ready to get her a hotel room in Detroit which is where her connection was, but she's 18 and has never traveled by herself before, and didn't want to do that so I went and got her. I left my office at 3 PM, got to northern Virginia at 12:45 AM, left there at 6:15 AM, got to State College at 9:05, left there at 9:15, and was home at 10:15 that night.

I averaged 48 mph including the time I was sleeping.

Awwww bless her heart she would have been fine. Land at DTW, go find ground transportation, order an Uber to take her to the hotel, order delivery pizza to her room and then Uber back the next day for her flight.

Ha! Easy for me to say. I would have done exactly what you did if it was my kid.

Drive to Atlanta, I could make it to Austin tomorrow easily. No, Austin is like a 20 hour drive.

I'm rebooked on American, hoping they aren't going to be flaky. Will be pretty upset if they sold me a ticket on a flight they never intended to fly. But it feels like SWA isn't even trying, they best they could do with rebooking would have gotten me there Tuesday night.

Doh, of course, Altanta. What was I thinking? I've driven that 20 hour drive, Austin's not that far from me.

Is your flight tomorrow AA2605? If so you might have gotten the seat my sister was re-booked on and canceled.:D

Awwww bless her heart she would have been fine. Land at DTW, go find ground transportation, order an Uber to take her to the hotel, order delivery pizza to her room and then Uber back the next day for her flight.

Ha! Easy for me to say. I would have done exactly what you did if it was my kid.

I was going to make it even easier, there is a hotel in the terminal, I would have gotten her a reservation there, no need to ever leave the airport. If this comes up again, hopefully not for a few years, she may be comfortable doing that.

I'm glad to hear you agree with what I did, I got a few real harebrained suggestion like having her take a bus (that would take two days) or letting her stay there until flights were available (it's only a week break).

I was going to make it even easier, there is a hotel in the terminal, I would have gotten her a reservation there, no need to ever leave the airport. If this comes up again, hopefully not for a few years, she may be comfortable doing that.

I'm glad to hear you agree with what I did, I got a few real harebrained suggestion like having her take a bus (that would take two days) or letting her stay there until flights were available (it's only a week break).

Hotel in the terminal? Wow, nice.

I can understand her hesitation, I remember being that age. It's scary doing stuff like that for the first time.

Two days on a bus? No way. I took the bus to NYC a couple times when I was her age but things were different back then and I wasn't alone.

The hotel in DTW terminal is really nice. Westin right in the terminal with its own security entrance. Your daughter doesn't know what she missed out on.

The hotel in DTW terminal is really nice. Westin right in the terminal with its own security entrance. Your daughter doesn't know what she missed out on.

ooooo if it had room service, even better. Nothing like being all alone in a hotel room with good food brought to your door and the TV and remote all to yourself for an evening.

Of course it's all in the perspective, if you have to do it all the time for work I'm sure it's not fun.

There's two different Hyatts at DFW. Good brand of hotels, if there were more of them I'd probably choose them more often.

American came through, in Dallas and boarding for next flight.

I could really use some down time, is there a holiday coming up?

Back