Painted Wings Today

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
IMG_1844.JPG IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1852.JPG Painted the wings on the Sport today. Well I finished paint job at 3am this morning. Started yesterday at 8am. Turned out to be a bit of a project, no big deal but it took way longer than I thought it would.

I just painted the top of the wings. Sanded wings with a DA sander 320 grit. Primed with a Urethane primer Advantage 312 and painted with Dupont Centari Acrylic Enamel. Total weight of the paint was 4.6 pounds.

My plane is parked outside and the weather has taken its toll on the paint. Over the past 23 years I have painted parts/sections of the plane. I use wing, tail and cabin covers in the winter and that helps but it is exposed to SE Alaska weather. I rent a hanger for 1 month a year to do annual and maintenance.

This year I installed a 406 ELT a heated Pito tube and at the last minute painted the top of the wings.

Wish I would have time to strip the paint and start out fresh, but that was not going to happen due to time constraints. The old paint adhered to the wings fine but had faded over time. I'm happy with my work and I guess that's all that matters...:rolleyes:

edit: and I need to move out of hanger today..:(

Last edited:
Looks like a good job.

What type?

How'd you heat and ventilate the hangar to facilitate painting? I'd guess you want/need 50F or more to be successful.

That said, congratulations. Painting is an amazingly time consuming and detail oriented process.

Just the wings or control surfaces too? Hopefully you didn’t get into any metal with the sandpaper. Looks good though.

Looking good! I’m with Kyleb - how did you get the paint to lay down so nicely at what must be really cold temps in AK? Is the hangar heated? And did you heat the surface at all to help with adhesion?

Just the wings or control surfaces too? Hopefully you didn’t get into any metal with the sandpaper. Looks good though.
Painted just the top of the wings. Metal? Sanded to the old primer, very time consuming, did not touch the original aluminum skin. Thanks for the "Looks good" comment.
Looking good! I’m with Kyleb - how did you get the paint to lay down so nicely at what must be really cold temps in AK? Is the hangar heated? And did you heat the surface at all to help with adhesion?
Heated hanger, started to warm hanger at 6am, did not start to paint till 4pm due to prepping. Used a temp gun and surface temp was around 70F when I started to paint...:)

Lookin' good to me.
Pleeze tell me that you didn't paint in a T hanger. (unless yours was the only one there)

Back