Be careful mentioning a "Bourbon Run"...

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Although I'm not a drinker, my dad loves bourbon. He even belongs to a bourbon drinking club, where a bunch of fellow bourbon drinkers get together and share their favorite bourbons.
My dad, in his 80's and spoiled his whole life (he worked three jobs to "spoil himself" so he deserves it in my book), is difficult to buy gifts for, as he has always bought himself whatever he wants. Well, I've found recently I can always surprise him with an interesting bottle of bourbon! And, for his bourbon drinking club (which is based in the far northern Michigan area where he lives), the most "interesting" bourbon is often just simply something not available in his area...
So, the other day, @KayDeeW and I decide we're going to fly to Kentucky, to buy a few bottle of bourbon that are not available in Michigan. But, we both mention, at our respective jobs, that we are making the run...WOW! I had no idea how many people would suddenly start requesting bourbon! I even had requests from some judges/magistrates (I work in the court system). On the return flight home, she and I felt like a couple of bootleggers!
Anyway, here's a couple of the bottles I got for my dad for Christmas. These are available retail only in Kentucky. Since I'm not a drinker, I can't say if any of them will be any good. I personally like the bottle with the metal cannon on top!

upload_2018-12-9_9-36-18.png

I’ve seen bulleit on the shelves...... did ya crack the others open yet?

Ahh....yes. Now I see that! Last year I barreled some white dog in my own 5l barrels and have been enjoying it for a few months. I barreled at 59% and 62%. All over the counter base stocks of course.

I don't really care for bourbon that much, but I like Blanton's.

I was a bourbon drinker,every spring I would host a tasting party for my bourbon drinking friends. My all around comfort bourbon ,would be woodfords. Basil Hayden isn’t bad,hill rock ,is good just too many to name.

Pappy Van Winkle - any age
Blantons
Woodford Reserve
Maker's 46
Maker's Mark
Knob Creek

In that order. The top two require punishment by death if anyone mixes it with anything other than a few drops of water.

If your gift recipient doesn't like Bourbon, you can always tone it down with these..

Fully tested and approved ;)

IMG_20181211_103936.jpg

Pappy Van Winkle - any age
Blantons
Woodford Reserve
Maker's 46
Maker's Mark
Knob Creek

In that order. The top two require punishment by death if anyone mixes it with anything other than a few drops of water.
Makers Mark makes a damn good old fashioned

Although I'm not a drinker, my dad loves bourbon. He even belongs to a bourbon drinking club, where a bunch of fellow bourbon drinkers get together and share their favorite bourbons.
My dad, in his 80's and spoiled his whole life (he worked three jobs to "spoil himself" so he deserves it in my book), is difficult to buy gifts for, as he has always bought himself whatever he wants. Well, I've found recently I can always surprise him with an interesting bottle of bourbon! And, for his bourbon drinking club (which is based in the far northern Michigan area where he lives), the most "interesting" bourbon is often just simply something not available in his area...
So, the other day, @KayDeeW and I decide we're going to fly to Kentucky, to buy a few bottle of bourbon that are not available in Michigan. But, we both mention, at our respective jobs, that we are making the run...WOW! I had no idea how many people would suddenly start requesting bourbon! I even had requests from some judges/magistrates (I work in the court system). On the return flight home, she and I felt like a couple of bootleggers!
Anyway, here's a couple of the bottles I got for my dad for Christmas. These are available retail only in Kentucky. Since I'm not a drinker, I can't say if any of them will be any good. I personally like the bottle with the metal cannon on top!
I will allow you to stop in Ohio for this....

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/lottery-underway-in-ohio-for-rare-bourbon-bottles/1653646854

Back