Most annoying new phrase of 2018?

It has been going on for a while, but it seems every business wants to claim to be "Powered by..." something else.

Huh?

“Lean in”, or maybe that was last year’s phrase.

Not really 2018... but

"ask" as a noun

"optics" to mean how an action or decision is perceived, politically

I think I first saw "ask" used as a noun about 5 years ago, but the political meaning of "optics", at most 3 years ago, probably within the last 2 years. (As a physicist, it struck me as kinda funny at first.)

I've never heard a woman refer to her husband as "the husband".

My wife calls me husband. Usually in an exasperated form. I will do or say something and she will go "Husband.... (tagalog language words I assume are curse words)"

I hate the phrase “Love on one another.” I hear pastors say it in church all the time and it sounds creepy.

Last edited:

It'll tote it but not carry it, when referring to a large pickup truck and a large trailer performance

Y'sall= plural

We'll have you over for dinner soon which translate to we will never ask you or see you again

Joy'd it when leaving
Y'all doin alright?

Not new to 2018 but men who refer to their wives as "the wife". It sounds so impersonal.

I've never heard a woman refer to her husband as "the husband".
it's not The wife it is said Da Wife, DW for short

When asked question the person reply start the sentence with. Well yea, yea, or Yea I think

Anything people say that they picked up from a shared meme somewhere else that isn't really funny beyond the meme.

Adulting
Asking for a friend
Not today (insert common enemy)
What happens in (some location) stays in (aforementioned location)

Also woke. Wtf dues that even mean?

It’s yeet.

Anyone who says anything else has not been around anyone less than 16 years old lately.

Yeet. Seriously. **** that word.

Which I never understood.
At some point I had to do an internet search for the term after hearing it used numerous times. But I still don’t understand. I prefer “carpe diem”.

“Speak/Tell your truth”

The “truth” is not subjective, nor can it be one’s possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I just want to take this oppurtunity to" . ..thank. . .recognize. . .acknowledge.

STFU, you inarticulate, verbiose, cliche spewing half-wit. You want to thank someone? Then say "Thank you". . .

Only made worse when a "#" comes in front.. and follows a pseudo sarcastic phrase, typically on Instagram

"Can't believe I just spend all this money on Avocados at Whole Foods #Adulting"

Only made worse when a "#" comes in front.. and follows a pseudo sarcastic phrase, typically on Instagram

"Can't believe I just spend all this money on Avocados at Whole Foods #Adulting"

Does adulting make one an adulterer?

Asking for a friend....

"bring your whole self to work"

'cause you know sometimes I leave my legs at home. Is this anything like, "I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached"?

No. What it means if you are in any protected class you should celebrate it openly, and if you're not you should STFU about it.

New:........ I went to the mall and two people called me "boss."

Old:......REALLY hate this one: "quite frankly."

Not new, but I hate, “Well, to be honest,...” and it’s numerous variants.

What, were you planning to lie to me originally?

Yuuuuuuge!

images

New:........ I went to the mall and two people called me "boss."

I hate that expression. i'm often tempted to explain to the person saying it that is a passive aggressive slur against white men that originated in a bad part of our country's past.

"Sir" is a better word choice.

Last edited:
Being called "Dog". Not sure if the people calling you that know what an insult is is to be called Dog.

Back