The 7 Deadly Sins of Radio Communications

I hired a band, took them up in my 182, got close to class B, and keyed this up:

"Any traffic in the area... I HOPE YOU'VE BEEN GOOD THIS YEAR! Hit it boys!

Dashing through the sky,
on a Northwest Orient plane,
over the clouds we go,
laughing all the way (ha ha ha <--- background singers)

The stewardesses are a delight
making spirits bright
what fun it is to fly today
on a Northwest Orient flight!

Ohhhhhh, smoothly sail, smoothly sail, smoothly all the way
Oh what fun, it is to fly, on a Northwest Flight todaaaaaaaaay!"

My other favorite is "Any traffic in the area... I'd like to tell you a quick story about my grandpa playing golf with Bob Hope."

* Dear FAA, none of this is true, this is all for humor. Please don't Byrna me.

Related to this, I've begun adding how many minutes out we are when flying the jet. I think that's probably more helpful for other traffic that may be heading to the same airport. So a call 20 miles SE may sound like we're a long ways out but when I add "landing in 8 minutes" they get a sense of how much of a factor I might be for them.

And if your were in an airship? :)

We have a fair number of Gulfstreams and Pilatus that come into the home drome. You learn when they say 10 miles, you hold short of the runway. But I appreciate what you're doing, wish more fast airplanes would do it.

Ya'll just thought this thread was going to die.... didn't you?

Well.... today was finally a day I could get out and fly after 16 days which seems like eternity for me. Anyway, I'm in the hangar getting the preflight done and as usual I have my handheld up on 122.7 at KCEY. And what do you think I heard..... yep.... an ATITAPA call. Bizzjet Citation EJ56A, 10 mile final any traffic in the area please advise.... I laughed my ass off thinking of this thread. Of course, there was nobody out this early, matter of fact, a push/pull Cessna came in earlier to wait out some light snow to the northeast but that was it. When I started my taxi they were on the way back out from fueling. This is what got my goat.... They did another ATITAPA call at the hold short...... "Bizzjet Citation EJ56A departing Rwy 23 Murray... ATITAPA". What? How about letting us know your departure heading? I almost said something but refrained. Instead, these rubes expected everyone within 360 degrees of KCEY to respond. I can hear it now... Cessna xxxx is inbound 10 miles southwest, or Bonanza xxx is maneuvering 15 miles northwest.... only to hear Mr Bizzjet Citation say, "we're departing to the East so you're no factor".

Do they teach ATITAPA in turbine transition training??? Because they're all smarter than the folks who wrote the AIM book???

Exactly what different response does someone expect with ATITAPA vs just a position, type and intentions announcement? If I hear a jet 10 miles out when I've already announced I've turned final from a standard pattern, I'm not going to bother saying that I'll be well clear of the runway by the time you show up. On the other hand, if I just did a touch and go and am staying in the pattern, or am 5 miles out, I will likely let you know where I am. But I will say (or not say) the same thing regardless of whether you add seven additional words on the end. And I will also work with you to let you in, extending my downwind for example, but I'll do that regardless of those seven extra words. As a matter of fact, it just took an extra 5 seconds for me to respond, due to the completely unneeded extra babble.

Exactly what different response does someone expect with ATITAPA vs just a position, type and intentions announcement? If I hear a jet 10 miles out when I've already announced I've turned final from a standard pattern, I'm not going to bother saying that I'll be well clear of the runway by the time you show up. On the other hand, if I just did a touch and go and am staying in the pattern, or am 5 miles out, I will likely let you know where I am. But I will say (or not say) the same thing regardless of whether you add seven additional words on the end. And I will also work with you to let you in, extending my downwind for example, but I'll do that regardless of those seven extra words. As a matter of fact, it just took an extra 5 seconds for me to respond, due to the completely unneeded extra babble.

Way early in the thread I mentioned as a student, kinda feeling the desire to call out to "all traffic" because of my inexperience and wanting to make absolutely sure I was clear, and not going to be a problem.

So, for this student, you guys have totally convinced me of how dumb that is. I won't be even "wanting" to make that call now. What you write here (that we already cover this by giving our position/intention) as well as the several folk that pointed out that if there is a lot of traffic they'd all be either talking at once, or waiting...

So, thanks guys. This gave me insight into where the actual safety IS, which is making sure I send MY position, and intentions and if that conflicts (even if it was that I missed some information) with someone they will contact me, and also of course, there can always be traffic with no radio, and I have to just scan and check, but they wouldn't have answered any general call to all traffic anyway either.

This thread helped me to see the system in a slightly different way, and that helped a lot!

I do think atitppa is useful though. When I hear it I know someone that is either rushing things, lazy, feels superior, or all three is about to blast their way into the area, which is useful to know.

OTOH, if I hear someone straight in behind me who may be tight, or someone turning base when I'm on final I'll say "short final, full stop" just to let them know I'll need time to roll out. . Only takes a sec, common courtesy. That's what good com all boils down to, is some briefly stated common courtesy.

That's what good com all boils down to, is some briefly stated common courtesy.
I like this comment. I have a lot of hours and if I'm flying with someone, I tend to let them do most of the flying, even if they don't have a license. This has caused a lot of my friends to ask me to become an instructor. I haven't because I don't really have the time to dedicate to it after a full-time job and my photography business/habit.

However, if one thing makes me want to become an instructor, it's listening to all of the radio calls when I'm flying. We need instructors out there to teach proper calls and if nothing else to teach common sense and manners. For example, if you hear two planes talking to each other and they're both saying they're on final 5 miles out and they're trying to figure out where the other plane is, maybe it's not important to jump in and make your 10 mile call. You might even be putting their lives at risk.

• I heard two different planes make calls that they were 10 miles out without saying a direction just last weekend. How does this help me?!
  • A King Air was flying over decided to announce that he was 5 miles East, transitioning over Taylor at 5,000' from East to West. Our pattern is 1600', so who cares? Wanted to hear his own voice?
  • You have to love the skydive pilot who thinks he's cool because he can talk so fast on the radio that we don't understand anything he says, including which airport he's at. Seems to be all of the skydive centers in Texas have this same guy working for them.
  • I'm even annoyed at one of my friends who has decided he needs to say Taylor traffic, Taylor traffic, at the beginning of each call. Why twice?

And when did I become a grumpy old man? I feel like I'm way to young to be this damn grumpy!

Ive done number 7 on occasion. Ive only got one com radio, but have ADSB and TIS B. I switch over to CATF on my way to join a 45 entry and its all quiet. However, I’ve been watching an aircraft do circuits with NO TRANSMISSIONS. Ok, so maybe he/she is NORDO? Nah, last time it was a Diamond DA-40, time before a Cherokee, even had a Robbie, so no, ill stick with # 7, if need be thank you.

Ive done number 7 on occasion. Ive only got one com radio, but have ADSB and TIS B. I switch over to CATF on my way to join a 45 entry and its all quiet. However, I’ve been watching an aircraft do circuits with NO TRANSMISSIONS. Ok, so maybe he/she is NORDO? Nah, last time it was a Diamond DA-40, time before a Cherokee, even had a Robbie, so no, ill stick with # 7, if need be thank you.

Why do you think that would help? Why not simply announce YOUR position, and note you observe the Diamond on final. Why invite everyone within earshot to chime in and clog the freq?? I'll never understand #7. Bad comm technique.

Last edited:
Why wdo you think that would help? Why not simply announce YOUR position, and note you observe the Diamond on final. Why invite everyone within earshot to chime in and clog the freq?? I'll never understand #7. Bad comm technique.

Sorry, should have spelled it out. Yes, that’s what I do, announce my position and let them know who, what and where I am. When I get close enough and can identify an aircraft, I might call them out, but for the few times it happens a year, I just land. Not worth a pi$$ing match.

One thing I never seem to hear is the call to unicom for an airport advisory. My primary CFI was an old crusty goat, he always insisted I started with this call when approaching an uncontrolled airport. "East Jesus unicom, bugsmasher 666CF is 10 west at 3000, request airport advisory." And if someone was home at the airport, I'd get relevant information, or someone in the pattern would pipe up, and at the very least, anyone on frequency near the airport knows where I'm coming from. At 5mi, he had me start making position calls to traffic. Seems nobody does airport advisory calls...
I still do.. Recently flew into KDAG on a weekend the army wasn't playing with their toys, and the guy sitting in the FBO was more than happy to give me advisories and chat a bit while he pumped my self serve fuel.

Flying down to KLNS Got to hear my first “tally ho” yesterday and let me tell ya it was off putting to say the least.

Well since this thread has lived on so long, maybe Bob should add it to "Say Again..."

When I began flying, there was only 122.8 for unicom. 122.7 and 123.0 were added later just to aid in all the congestion. Towered airports were all 122.95 and the term CTAF was not used; you had to figure it out for yourself which frequency to call on when the tower was closed.

I always made my first call to "[name] Unicom..." to get wind and altimeter info. From there I could make a call in the blind with my intentions. If anyone wanted to respond, all they needed to say was their position in the pattern. If it is done differently today, I don't understand why...

I am compelled to add to this regarding the most annoying (and maybe dangerous) thing I hear at non-towered airports on the CTAF........

That is announcing your tail number to identify yourself and not including any other info such as aircraft type. If I am on the ground I can't read your tail number if you are in the pattern and if I am in the pattern I can't read your tail number if you are on the ground or just took off. On a busy day with lots of similar planes in the pattern, planes taking off and ready to takeoff your tail number does not help me or anyone know where you are since more than one airplane could be in downwind at the same time, one just entering and one just about to turn final.

Although I am going to get lots of opinions my practice is to begin every call at a non-towered airport CTAF with "Cherokee 45U" where 45U is the last bit of my tail number. This does 2 things; (1) you know I am in a Cherokee with a low wing profile and (2) if you need to contact me and not the other 3 Cherokees in the pattern, on takeoff or on the ground you can select me by announcing "Cherokee 45U <rest of message>".

I don't know who is teaching to use only the tail number at non-towered airports but it is my pet peeve especially at a busy non-towered airport.

AC 90-66B:

10.3.1 Self-announce transmissions may include aircraft type to aid in identification and detection, but should not use paint schemes or color descriptions to replace the use of the aircraft call sign. For example, “MIDWEST TRAFFIC, TWIN COMMANDER FIVE ONE ROMEO FOXTROT TEN MILES NORTHEAST” or “MIDWEST TRAFFIC, FIVE ONE ROMEO FOXTROT TWIN COMMANDER TEN MILES NORTHEAST,” not “MIDWEST TRAFFIC, BLUE AND WHITE TWIN COMMANDER TEN MILES NORTHEAST.” When referring to a specific runway, pilots should use the runway number and not use the phrase “Active Runway,” because there is no official active runway at a non-towered airport. To help identify one airport from another when sharing the same frequency, the airport name should be spoken at the beginning and end of each self-announce transmission.

I am compelled to add to this regarding the most annoying (and maybe dangerous) thing I hear at non-towered airports on the CTAF........

That is announcing your tail number to identify yourself and not including any other info such as aircraft type. If I am on the ground I can't read your tail number if you are in the pattern and if I am in the pattern I can't read your tail number if you are on the ground or just took off. On a busy day with lots of similar planes in the pattern, planes taking off and ready to takeoff your tail number does not help me or anyone know where you are since more than one airplane could be in downwind at the same time, one just entering and one just about to turn final.

Although I am going to get lots of opinions my practice is to begin every call at a non-towered airport CTAF with "Cherokee 45U" where 45U is the last bit of my tail number. This does 2 things; (1) you know I am in a Cherokee with a low wing profile and (2) if you need to contact me and not the other 3 Cherokees in the pattern, on takeoff or on the ground you can select me by announcing "Cherokee 45U <rest of message>".

I don't know who is teaching to use only the tail number at non-towered airports but it is my pet peeve especially at a busy non-towered airport.
White and red mooney with a missing rivet in the left flap and a scratch on the engine cowl, November 79396 serial number 2392, in left downwind above the red barn, 1.7 miles from the airport. Any traffic in the pattern, let me know where you are and what your intentions are. Thanks for listening. Have a nice day. Boy it’s a little gusty.

"Any traffic in the pattern, please advise"

"You're not the boss of me"

White and red mooney with a missing rivet in the left flap and a scratch on the engine cowl, November 79396 serial number 2392, in left downwind above the red barn, 1.7 miles from the airport. Any traffic in the pattern, let me know where you are and what your intentions are. Thanks for listening. Have a nice day. Boy it’s a little gusty.

"Hey, ya'll. I can see the field, and I'm inbound to land."

A distant aircraft prevents you from making a call only if you wait for it to stop transmitting before pressing the push-to-talk button.

I did not know this... so i alwaus thought i had to wait... now a neighboring airport 15 miles away should I? Any other knowledge on this please advise! Lol

I did not know this... so i alwaus thought i had to wait... now a neighboring airport 15 miles away should I? Any other knowledge on this please advise! Lol
Fifteen miles is close enough that the inverse-square law might not guarantee that you would be heard over the traffic at the other airport, but for traffic at airports sufficiently far apart, when pilots at both airports transmit simultaneously, other pilots at those airports will only hear the one that is near them.

A week ago, I was in the pattern at Rio Linda, CA and was hearing a lot of traffic calls for Lincoln. Since I knew it was not far away, I waited for gaps to make my transmissions. I looked it up yesterday, and it just so happens that the two airports are only 14.7 NM apart!

I thought the primary aviation band was VHF FM...

I personally would wait , if possible, before transmitting over a relatively strong signal from another aircraft. Not all com radios are created equal in regards to signal strength and modulation. We use AM not FM . If you transmit an AM signal on top of another AM transmission you will create a heterodyne signal,AKA squeel that will interfere with reception of both your signals. The reason we use AM is that in an emergency, it is possible to detect a transmission that is being made on top of another. FM on the other hand , has capture effect, only the strongest signal is detected..the weaker one will go undetected.
AM receivers have automatic gain control, which turns down the receiver gain according to the strongest signal being received. If the difference in signal strength is sufficient, any squeal will not be loud enough to be a problem. I do wait if there are enough gaps in distant transmissions for me to make my calls, but if the only way I'm going to be able to report my position and intentions is to transmit over distant stations, then I don't lose sleep over it, because the planes I fly are unlikely to have unusually strong output power.

Also, if you receive a transmission from one mile away, and another from ten miles away, the farther one would have to have 100 times the effective radiated power to make up for the distance.

When I began flying, there was only 122.8 for unicom. 122.7 and 123.0 were added later just to aid in all the congestion. Towered airports were all 122.95 and the term CTAF was not used; you had to figure it out for yourself which frequency to call on when the tower was closed.

I always made my first call to "[name] Unicom..." to get wind and altimeter info. From there I could make a call in the blind with my intentions. If anyone wanted to respond, all they needed to say was their position in the pattern. If it is done differently today, I don't understand why...

Four crystals, right? Them was the days.

Bob

Go back and read my post again. I suggested not trying to transmit over a " relatively strong signal ". I said nothing about transmitting over a distant weak signal.

Sorry, my mistake.

VHF line of sight transmissions can be heard over very long distances with little change in signal quality. When we are in the traffic pattern, the curvature of the earth is what prevents us from interfering with another airport on the same frequency miles from us, not so much the distance. On a pretty weekend, I routinely hear traffic landing at airports 150 miles away from my home airport..loud and clear....once I climb a couple thousand feet AGL.

I'm not talking about signal quality, I'm talking about signal strength. Other things being equal, a transmitter 150 miles away would have to put out 22.5 kilowatts in order to produce the same received signal strength as a one-watt transmitter one mile away. The reason you can hear traffic 150 miles away from your home airport is that the automatic gain control (AGC) in your receiver turns up the gain appropriately when there is not a stronger signal being received. When there is a nearby aircraft transmitting, the receiver turns the gain down so that the signal doesn't overload the receiver (which would cause severe distortion). That has the side effect of causing the signal from 150 miles away to have very little effect on the receiver until the closer aircraft stops transmitting.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/technical-articles/understanding-automatic-gain-control/

"AGC is a critical aspect of RF receiver design. The energy density of electromagnetic radiation decreases with the square of distance. Thus, the RF signal strength at the receiver varies drastically depending on how close the receiver is to the transmitter. AGC ensures that the received signal is consistently amplified to a level that allows for efficient processing by the demodulation circuitry."

I use "last call" when my departure is between 100-180 degrees of either side of the departure end of the active runway or any time my departure direction requires me to depart somewhere from the pattern (e.g. a noise abatement or ridge line that prevents me from making a right turn out and requires a climb in the pattern to depart on the base leg). I continue to make normal position reports in the pattern and announce a "last call" just before I leave the pattern. This way if someone is just joining the pattern and hears me call downwind, they aren't confused when I never call base/final or clear. For a straight out or 90-degree departure, I dont bother with last call.

That is announcing your tail number to identify yourself and not including any other info such as aircraft type.

My other favorite is when they make broad general statements like the "white cessna is maneuvering in the practice area." Great...Which white Cessna and are you; most of them are white as the base color and if I'm close enough to see your red stripes, I'm probably too close. For that matter, what type of Cessna... I'm not as concerned by a 152 capable of 90 miles an hour closing the distance in a few seconds as I am about a 182 going 140...

As to the other calls:
1) I use "with you." The "official" language of the radio is very stilted and unnatural feeling. ABC Approach, Skyhawk N12345, 4000 while shorter, it also sounds more curt and less friendly. I typically try to keep my tone more conversational which is covered by "ABC Approach, Skyhawk N12345, with you at 4000.

2) I use "roger" when I get an advisory from ATC. "N12345, traffic 1 o'clock and 2 miles" usually gets a "roger, 12345 is looking for the traffic" from me. I do however know when a readback is appropriate and a roger will be ok. I cant think of any situation in which I use wilco.

3) I do a pretty good job of avoiding starting radio calls "and" and "ah" except for those moments when I have a radio call in mind and then have a brain freeze when I key the mic. My biggest failing in the "filler" portion comes when I get busy and get a readback. A lot of times I'll read back more information than needed... Like "cleared to land runway 29, winds 330 at 10" will get the winds read back in addition to the landing clearance. This can get particularly lengthy when I'm doing an approach in which the controller gives me the winds, current ATIS information, clearance for approach, altimeter setting and tower frequency. Easiest way to tell when I'm getting to my saturation point? Listen to my read backs... Instead of parsing out and repeating cleared for the approach, altimeter and frequency, I read back everything the controller just gave me including winds and atis. Its a habit I'm trying to break because I've found it to be somewhat dangerous as I'm essentially on autopilot... I dont actually register all the information being given to me and have caught myself on more than one occasion having to re-request the frequency or not adjusting for the winds but its a difficult one to break for me.

4) I'm a bit torn on the TMI. I'm a fan of double-keying the mic as an acknowledgement to other traffic. I'm also dont see much reason to make 4 different airport position calls while on the ground but I do like the "taxi'ing" calls, particularly when taxi'ing to or near a runway. From the ramp to the run-up area seems a bit excessive at times unless the run-up area is near the runway. I do find myself skipping some of them at less busy airports but this is one you need to be careful with in general as it is expected that you announce your position anytime the plane is moving so you could find yourself in trouble with the FAA (or failing a checkride)

5) I definitely try to avoid local landmarks... about the closest I get is on departure out of my local airports, I'll call "upwind on the noise abatement." I do this because our noise abatement procedure requires a right turn out and then you make a left turn to come back across on the crosswind so for those unfamiliar with the pattern, it probably looks like I'm leaving the pattern. By calling "noise abatement" whether you're familiar with the procedure or not, I feel it makes it known I'm not leaving the pattern. I also use landmarks when my pattern gets elongated for some reason... Like if I have to extend downwind for landing traffic, I'll use landmarks to augment my position report "345 is on an extended downwind over the steel mill" for example... But my landmarks in that case tend to be large, easy to spot and not "the red barn"

6) While I try to keep in mind VFR pilots dont know IFR procedures and hearing these calls used to drive me crazy when I was in California and had a particularly popular VOR approach at one of my local airports that made local pattern work somewhat difficult, sometimes you just forget. I did this one just the other day... I called 5 miles on the ILS before switching to position reports of being on final... I usually like to state that my ILS is a 5 mile straight-in final when in VFR conditions but I was a bit late and rushed and was cheating using the ILS to avoid having to fly all the way to the airport to join the pattern before flying the pattern to land.

7) I hate ATITPA calls and they seem to becoming more popular with the semi-professional pilot as I cant tell you how many time's I've heard it coming from a jet or turbine aircraft on the approach. I realize ATC sometimes doesn't have you change to CTAF until well into the approach but didn't ATC advise you before the frequency change over of how many planes are in the area and what they appear to be doing? The call seems useless.

I have an eighth one which I know I am guilty of and recall seeing a video with a better terminology but cant remember what it was now... Any advice on this is appreciated... Using "to" or "for" in stating your current altitude and cleared altitude... e.g. "ABC Departure, Skyhawk N12345, climbing through 3-thousand to (or for) 6-thousand...

I guess "for 6-thousand" isn't likely to be confused by anyone since flight operations at 46-thousand are uncommon but "to 6-thousand" could be confused as 26-thousand.

Last edited:
I use "last call" when my departure is more between 100-180 degrees of either side of the active runway or any time my departure direction requires me to depart somewhere from the pattern (e.g. a noise abatement or ridge line that prevents me from making a right turn out and requires a climb in the pattern to depart on the base leg). I continue to make normal position reports in the pattern and announce a "last call" just before I leave the pattern. This way if someone is just joining the pattern and hears me call downwind, they aren't confused when I never call base/final or clear. For a straight out or 90-degree departure, I dont bother with last call.

My other favorite is when they make broad general statements like the "white cessna is maneuvering in the practice area." Great...Which white Cessna and are you; most of them are white as the base color and if I'm close enough to see your red stripes, I'm probably too close. For that matter, what type of Cessna... I'm not as concerned by a 152 capable of 90 miles an hour closing the distance in a few seconds as I am about a 182 going 140...

As to the other calls:
1) I use "with you." The "official" language of the radio is very stilted and unnatural feeling. ABC Approach, Skyhawk N12345, 4000 while shorter, it also sounds more curt and less friendly. I typically try to keep my tone more conversational which is covered by "ABC Approach, Skyhawk N12345, with you at 4000.

2) I use "roger" when I get an advisory from ATC. "N12345, traffic 1 o'clock and 2 miles" usually gets a "roger, 12345 is looking for the traffic" from me. I do however know when a readback is appropriate and a roger will be ok. I cant think of any situation in which I use wilco.

3) I do a pretty good job of avoiding starting radio calls "and" and "ah" except for those moments when I have a radio call in mind and then have a brain freeze when I key the mic. My biggest failing in the "filler" portion comes when I get busy and get a readback. A lot of times I'll read back more information than needed... Like "cleared to land runway 29, winds 330 at 10" will get the winds read back in addition to the landing clearance. This can get particularly lengthy when I'm doing an approach in which the controller gives me the winds, current ATIS information, clearance for approach, altimeter setting and tower frequency. Easiest way to tell when I'm getting to my saturation point? Listen to my read backs... Instead of parsing out and repeating cleared for the approach, altimeter and frequency, I read back everything the controller just gave me including winds and atis. Its a habit I'm trying to break because I've found it to be somewhat dangerous as I'm essentially on autopilot... I dont actually register all the information being given to me and have caught myself on more than one occasion having to re-request the frequency or not adjusting for the winds but its a difficult one to break for me.

4) I'm a bit torn on the TMI. I'm a fan of double-keying the mic as an acknowledgement to other traffic. I'm also dont see much reason to make 4 different airport position calls while on the ground but I do like the "taxi'ing" calls, particularly when taxi'ing to or near a runway. From the ramp to the run-up area seems a bit excessive at times unless the run-up area is near the runway. I do find myself skipping some of them at less busy airports but this is one you need to be careful with in general as it is expected that you announce your position anytime the plane is moving so you could find yourself in trouble with the FAA (or failing a checkride)

5) I definitely try to avoid local landmarks... about the closest I get is on departure out of my local airports, I'll call "upwind on the noise abatement." I do this because our noise abatement procedure requires a right turn out and then you make a left turn to come back across on the crosswind so for those unfamiliar with the pattern, it probably looks like I'm leaving the pattern. By calling "noise abatement" whether you're familiar with the procedure or not, I feel it makes it known I'm not leaving the pattern. I also use landmarks when my pattern gets elongated for some reason... Like if I have to extend downwind for landing traffic, I'll use landmarks to augment my position report "345 is on an extended downwind over the steel mill" for example... But my landmarks in that case tend to be large, easy to spot and not "the red barn"

6) While I try to keep in mind VFR pilots dont know IFR procedures and hearing these calls used to drive me crazy when I was in California and had a particularly popular VOR approach at one of my local airports that made local pattern work somewhat difficult, sometimes you just forget. I did this one just the other day... I called 5 miles on the ILS before switching to position reports of being on final... I usually like to state that my ILS is a 5 mile straight-in final when in VFR conditions but I was a bit late and rushed and was cheating using the ILS to avoid having to fly all the way to the airport to join the pattern before flying the pattern to land.

7) I hate ATITPA calls and they seem to becoming more popular with the semi-professional pilot as I cant tell you how many time's I've heard it coming from a jet or turbine aircraft on the approach. I realize ATC sometimes doesn't have you change to CTAF until well into the approach but didn't ATC advise you before the frequency change over of how many planes are in the area and what they appear to be doing? The call seems useless.

I have an eighth one which I know I am guilty of and recall seeing a video with a better terminology but cant remember what it was now... Any advice on this is appreciated... Using "to" or "for" in stating your current altitude and cleared altitude... e.g. "ABC Departure, Skyhawk N12345, climbing through 3-thousand to (or for) 6-thousand...

I guess "for 6-thousand" isn't likely to be confused by anyone since flight operations at 46-thousand are uncommon but "to 6-thousand" could be confused as 26-thousand.

For the last one I have trained myself not to use to or for, my call will be something like “fargo departure, 21kilo 1600 climbing 4000”

No pronouns, no articles, strict adherence to the pilot-controller glossary. Keep it terse and make it short.

In the AIM system of nomenclature, there is no such altitude as "26 thousand." It's "flight level two six zero."

Back