GPS loss on all devices?

So I take it the FAA is still screwing with ya, must have been that last oil change video that triggered it:)

While I agree I would get up to date charts. With VOR’s getting decommissioned left and right you could get yourself in a pickle if your are planning on relying on something that was dc a year ago

Looks like I shouldn't be too hasty to remove the ADF. :rolleyes:

Maybe your Grumman is too fast for GPS? Did you try slowing down?

I think he should keep going fast, but open that canopy for better satellite signal reception. ;) :p

What that is is a warning shot across the bow of all the sky mariners who believe that GPS is the end-all/be-all of navigation. This is a point I have made since the beginning of Loran. Put all your eggs on one basket and the yolk is on you.
I still carry an old and outdated set of charts. The VOR receiver is working and calibrated. And episodically I fly a VOR track out and back, including time to station by tracking across two radials, ending with a VOR-A approach, all on my own.
(I don't bother ATC with such antiquated requests for fear of some young controller getting vapor lock of the prefrontal lobes over the idea that I do NOT need him or his radar to get from point a to point b - the horror, the horror)

And the GPS jamming would be the military yanking your chain - or some drug runner's. Perhaps a solar flare. Or Iranian jihadis on the ground testing their new GPS jammer. Maybe even an FTL ship with poorly adjusted dampers that dropped out of hypercruise to get a nav fix and then going FTL again.

Ever here of putting your EFB subscription on a tablet and a smart phone? That way you have an extra set of current charts instead of a pile of paper with a bunch of decommissioned VORs, NDBs, and LOCs on them and will have accurate MOCAs.

So I take it the FAA is still screwing with ya, must have been that last oil change video that triggered it:)

I sent them a copy of the FAA trip video. Their response was calculated and nice.

This. We had similar intermittent issues. Turns out the Garmin “TSOed” antenna was delaminating and emitting spurious noise on the GPS freq. Took a long while to narrow this down.

We need a video of BrYan checking this while in flight. Just open the cockpit and crawl out on the roof.

GPS interference testing is underway this week at Fort Drum, Nellis AFB, Fort Knox, and White Sands. You can check NOTAMs to see if your area is affected. If portable devices as well as your panel mounts were affected, I would report it.

Ironic that it makes ADS-B effing useless for the duration for those of us that installed it, not to mention disabling the only means of flying approaches to smaller airports. Will potentially cost our airport significant income if flights can't rely on getting in IFR.

The FAA is on to you.

They need to test it near potential targets.
This. I want our warriors well trained in case of a “real” war with an enemy that WILL jam the GPS and it wouldn’t hurt too much for the common Joe to realize the need for an alternate plan when driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I want our warriors well trained in case of a “real” war with an enemy that WILL jam the GPS and it wouldn’t hurt too much for the common Joe to realize the need for an alternate plan when driving.

This doesn't affect Average Joe much - The area affected by the jamming increases greatly with altitude. Even with Nellis jamming, I bet most of the ground pounders in Vegas are still able to use their GPS.

Well they should train for chemical attacks too, but I don't want them gassing civilians in the process.

This doesn't affect Average Joe much - The area affected by the jamming increases greatly with altitude. Even with Nellis jamming, I bet most of the ground pounders in Vegas are still able to use their GPS.
True, but even if it does it’s not a societal loss.

Isn't there dual band GPS's so to speak, I believe one is russian and they say it is never down here when ours are.............

Isn't there dual band GPS's so to speak, I believe one is russian and they say it is never down here when ours are.............
I wonder why they (whoever is jamming GPS) wouldn't want to jam GLONASS at the same time?

I wonder why they (whoever is jamming GPS) wouldn't want to jam GLONASS at the same time?

Perhaps because they don't want anybody to know precisely what their capabilities are?

I thought we were testing our ability to jam the systems, not simulate an attack...?

I wouldn’t think jamming would be too hard... just broadcast a lot of crap on the relevant frequencies.

Well they should train for chemical attacks too, but I don't want them gassing civilians in the process.
And stupid "rules" like this are why we're woefully unprepared for the next chemical attack.

Next you'll say you don't think we should be detonating nukes near civilian populations. Ugh. Liberals.

;)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back