Cessna 335 down FXE

Yup. There may have been some serious shadyness going on there if the gossip at my home base has any truth to it but I hesitate to spread rumors. It will be interesting to see what the NTSB comes up with.

... "impacted a building, a therapy center for children with autism" ... Yeow.

Yup. There may have been some serious shadyness going on there if the gossip at my home base has any truth to it but I hesitate to spread rumors.
Let’s hear it...

Slid on the parking lot surface and hit the building at the end. Sad deal.

The rumor I’ve seen is that the plane was listed for sale for parts last year.

Supposedly the plane had issues at World Jet (FBO) and they were working on it earlier in the day then took off. I am based at KFXE.

Hopefully all the kids affected will recover from the trauma.

I ran the time-distance calcs using the spec’d airframe length against the video, which was running at least 25 frames per second to estimate the speed from entry into the intersection to impact.

A very rough number is about 35 miles per hour at impact. Assuming shoulder belts, they would probably survived given the crush displayed and subsequent Ke dissipation over time, which I could not do without real weights to use.

I would SWAG they sustained moderate to major injuries on impact, but cause of death will end up being the fire, not impact with the wall.

Also noted in the frame by frame the left prop showed no signs of prop strike and the right prop was significantly damaged consistent with making power at impact.

They woulda survived had them not hit a cement wall. That’s my analysis.

I suspect the impact was enough to kill the occupants. It's not like it's a car with crash protection structure and airbags.

Crashing into buildings and setting them on fire is terrible PR for general aviation.

It sure looks like there is fuel leaking everywhere as its sliding across the ground then it looks like a water balloon full of fuel hitting the wall.

It sure looks like there is fuel leaking everywhere as its sliding across the ground then it looks like a water balloon full of fuel hitting the wall.

If you watch it frame my frame, you can see the right wing bend up substantially before it enters the intersection. Who knows what it hit prio to the video scene.

If you watch it frame my frame, you can see the right wing bend up substantially before it enters the intersection. Who knows what it hit prio to the video scene.

Local friend just mentioned to me that he clipped a roof before touching down.

A shady flight originating from FXE? Nooooo, say it ain't so!!!!

If you go by W Aviation you'll see all the airplanes seized from drug running. It's incredible both the number and variety.

May be so, but a kid gets killed by a 737 due to straight up airline pilot buffoonery and nobody calls for banning airlines. Pedestrians are hypocrites of the highest order. Nevermind cowardly to a fault.

Here's the difference: a large portion of the American public will ride on an airliner, and those that don't will quite often have family members come to visit them on one. The overwhelming majority will never fly in an owner flown GA plane and don't know anyone who flies in one. For most Americans, it is a (very slight) hazard that serves no purpose in their lives.

Honestly, I can't think of anything I've ever seen that has worse optics that that video. It's a real black eye for GA.

Here's the difference: a large portion of the American public will ride on an airliner, and those that don't will quite often have family members come to visit them on one. The overwhelming majority will never fly in an owner flown GA plane and don't know anyone who flies in one. For most Americans, it is a (very slight) hazard that serves no purpose in their lives.

Honestly, I can't think of anything I've ever seen that has worse optics that that video. It's a real black eye for GA.

That's not a difference, that's a hypocritical rationalization. Which is why the argument about bad optics doesn't fly with me.
upload_2018-12-4_21-15-52.png
And that's not bad optics? Hypocrites.

"My entitlement is your welfare" is essentially the argument you're putting forth on behalf of pedestrians wrt the things they value. The implication being that minority actions are of no value, and need to be legislated out of existence if and when they attempt to share the public space. Hell, in the past the power structure felt that way about other human beings of a different complexion and cultural experience. Lord help us if we go down the rabbit hole of that pedestrian logic again....

Tyranny of the majority indeed. "But it feels right, and most people think like me".... yeah,when you're not part of the minority being targeted; that much has been established.

That's not a difference, that's a hypocritical rationalization. Which is why the argument about bad optics doesn't fly with me.
View attachment 69713
And that's not bad optics? Hypocrites.

"My entitlement is your welfare" is essentially the argument you're putting forth on behalf of pedestrians wrt the things they value. The implication being that minority actions are of no value, and need to be legislated out of existence if and when they attempt to share the public space. Hell, in the past the power structure felt that way about other human beings of a different complexion and cultural experience. Lord help us if we go down the rabbit hole of that pedestrian logic again....

Tyranny of the majority indeed. "But it feels right, and most people think like me".... yeah,when you're not part of the minority being targeted; that much has been established.

Hypocitical or not, it is what it is, you nor I will be able to change it. But we can recognize why people feel the way they do of GA regardless of their factual understanding and seek to be good ambassadors. To me, when a facility for disabled kids gets blown up by an apparent GA eff-up on the highest magnitude a fair bit of criticism should be expected.

Hypocitical or not, it is what it is, you nor I will be able to change it. But we can recognize why people feel the way they do of GA regardless of their factual understanding and seek to be good ambassadors. To me, when a facility for disabled kids gets blown up by an apparent GA eff-up on the highest magnitude a fair bit of criticism should be expected.

Agreed. Better ambassadorship is definitively one way we can attempt to combat the tyranny of the majority. But highlighting hypocrisy to me is another. We can agree to disagree on the latter.

Back